Player Watch Ressies time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Espio

Team Captain
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Once upon a time it was not unusual to see players have 50 to 100 ressies games before they secured a senior spot.
Today the narrative after 2 years on the list is “x player is a bust”.
Is there recent examples of quality players who have had to bide their time?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Once upon a time it was not unusual to see players have 50 to 100 ressies games before they secured a senior spot.
Today the narrative after 2 years on the list is “x player is a bust”.
Is there recent examples of quality players who have had to bide their time?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
To be fair a lot of these players started playing at 15 or 16 in the reserves. So they were a regular in the seniors by the time they were 20.

Took James Sicily a while to break into a strong (and then middle-of-the-road) Hawks team.

Stephen Motlop played VFL for 2 or 3 years IIRC before breaking into the Cats best 22.

He played 14 games in his second season so hardly had to wait all that long but I remember the fuss about Tom Mitchell getting 60 touches in the reserves in his 3rd year.

Gawn was in the 2's for a long time, but partly because he had 2 ACL's and a lot of other injuries. Still, he was behind Jamar and Spencer until it all clicked for him.

I reckon there's plenty of players especially at bad teams who don't ever get to truly dominate the state leagues. They come in, show a bit, get promoted up and then float around between the grades, with some stretches of good state league or decent role playing AFL footy but never really establish themselves.

With a lot of talented players you know pretty early they are far too good for the state league level but there's others who could really do with refining their game at a lower level and proving to everyone they are a class above before they get called up.

Mick Barlow played plenty of VFL games. 3 odd years at Werribee and tried out with the Saints and Essendon in 2009.
Drafted in 2010 and had a big impact.
The sound when his leg busted was a thing I'll not forget.
He was never the same and went to play at the GC.

Barlow's first season was incredible before the injury. I couldn't believe he was playing at the top level for the first time.

Tim Kelly - 93 league games at South Fremantle
Marlion Pickett - 98 league games at South Fremantle
Sam Gibson - 102 league games at Box Hill

Tim Kelly - 93 league games at South Fremantle
Marlion Pickett - 98 league games at South Fremantle
Sam Gibson - 102 league games at Box Hill

I think it should really be for players on an AFL list playing VFL etc. Pods would have played like 150 games I reckon if you make it open slather for state league players. Orren Stephenson too.

Not a star but someone that has played a heap of VFL at Geelong before becoming a "best 22" player would be Jed Bews. Don't know where you can get the games tally from.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it should really be for players on an AFL list playing VFL etc. Pods would have played like 150 games I reckon if you make it open slather for state league players. Orren Stephenson too.

Not a star but someone that has played a heap of VFL at Geelong before becoming a "best 22" player would be Jed Bews. Don't know where you can get the games tally from.
Not sure why you get to set the rules, but okay....

Liam Picken

Played a couple of seasons with Williamstown before landing a rookie spot in 2009. Rest is history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back