Socceroos Rest In Peace, Les Murray

Remove this Banner Ad

*. It's hard to even know what to write. It's equally hard to explain how profound an impact a guy you never met could have on you.

Like many people on this board, Les was the voice and the face of a sport that we came to love, despite us growing up in an era when "voodball" was the bastard step child of Australia's sporting landscape.

But more than that, I think Les came to shape my values and my politics, which in my case led to my career - as a sheltered Tasmanian kid of the 80s and 90s I'm pretty sure that Les was the first non-Anglo face I saw on television. The more I learned about him, the more I came to empathise with the plight of refugees.

I don't even remember hearing that he was sick, so it was a really devastating shock when I caught the news this afternoon.

It feels like the end of an era with Les and Johnny gone. A litany of administrators (ie. vested interests) came and went before the Crawford Report installed Frank Lowy to oversee the revival of Australian football - but no one did more for the status of football, and no one did more to bring about the changes that we all reap the benefit of now than those 2 legends.

Tonight's evening gin was for Les Murray.

A Sad day for Football Les opened my eyes to the world game was a lot more than the English League. For that I am forever grateful RIP, your story is a great one.

Last edited:
****. It's hard to even know what to write. It's equally hard to explain how profound an impact a guy you never met could have on you.

Like many people on this board, Les was the voice and the face of a sport that we came to love, despite us growing up in an era when "voodball" was the bastard step child of Australia's sporting landscape.

But more than that, I think Les came to shape my values and my politics, which in my case led to my career - as a sheltered Tasmanian kid of the 80s and 90s I'm pretty sure that Les was the first non-Anglo face I saw on television. The more I learned about him, the more I came to empathise with the plight of refugees.

I don't even remember hearing that he was sick, so it was a really devastating shock when I caught the news this afternoon.

It feels like the end of an era with Les and Johnny gone. A litany of administrators (ie. vested interests) came and went before the Crawford Report installed Frank Lowy to oversee the revival of Australian football - but no one did more for the status of football, and no one did more to bring about the changes that we all reap the benefit of now than those 2 legends.

Tonight's evening gin was for Les Murray.
Beautifully put mate. Couldn't have said it better.
At least he can now rest, knowing that his beloved sport is at the forefront of the mind of many Australians, and he has spread the beautiful game all over the country. Vale Les, a life well lived.

Definitely feels like that favorite uncle that you had that introduces you to a magical world you never knew existed.

Safe to say Les introduced more than a generation of kids & teens to the sport via the world game.
Shattered to see him go and dare I say it, if we knew he was ill in the last 12-24 months we would've further appreciated every article and view he had.

RIP you champion, pioneer and ambassador for the beautiful game.

Very, very sad day for Australian football.

No words can really express how much this hurts, a lot more than I could really expect, he was the voice of my childhood as an avid Australian football fan. I'm glad he got to that voice for football during arguably the greatest time Australian football has ever seen - three consecutive World Cup qualifications in a day and age where it's now an expectation, not a pipedream, and international silverware.

Thank you so much for the memories, Les.

Loved Les.

Loved him crying after the Iran game with Johnny Warren (in as much as it showed his passion and summed up how we were all feeling - I was at that bloody game, farrrrrrrrk), loved him looking up to the heavens and saying "That's for you Johnny" after we beat Uruguay, loved how he said "voodball", loved his knowledge and passion for the game.

Fond memories of the 90's and early 2000's when I first started getting into the game, no one besides the die hards in Australia cared about the game and he was always there on SBS, hosting all those World Cups Australia didn't make, all those Champions League games and Premier League games.

Very sad :(

Extremely sad.

He will always be remembered for his coverage and impact on the world game, as he should be. But along with that, Toyota World Sport was a favourite of mine in High School from around 2003-2005. I'd get home right around 4 in the afternoon and watch the replay from the night before. As good as Les was at coverage of the world game, he was also a consummate professional at the more meat and potatoes night-after-night presenting, and the show was comprehensive in it's coverage of local and world sport.

Remember seeing him on TV as a kid. Hadn't noticed him in quite a while. Once we first got Foxtel in 2004-05 and the internet became ever more video-friendly watching him introduce week old highlights of the French Cup on SBS lost a bit of its appeal.

I had the privilege of meeting Les back in the 90s. It was at the glasshouse, or was it the tennis centre. the Australia Boomers played Magics All Stars in a 5 game series sponsored by Red Rooster. We were sitting courtside and in front of us was Les who was hosting. When the cameras stopped rolling I summoned up the courage to go chat with him. Asked him who his tip was in the soccer, he said "uefa or european?". I mumbled something, and he said "I like Ajax". Two older lads a few rows in front scoffed and sfellowed at me thinking wtf was I doing? They later went and got Les autographs.

I had the privilege of meeting Les back in the 90s. It was at the glasshouse, or was it the tennis centre. the Australia Boomers played Magics All Stars in a 5 game series sponsored by Red Rooster. We were sitting courtside and in front of us was Les who was hosting. When the cameras stopped rolling I summoned up the courage to go chat with him. Asked him who his tip was in the soccer, he said "uefa or european?". I mumbled something, and he said "I like Ajax". Two older lads a few rows in front scoffed and sfellowed at me thinking wtf was I doing? They later went and got Les autographs.
You're smooth mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved Les.

Loved him crying after the Iran game with Johnny Warren (in as much as it showed his passion and summed up how we were all feeling - I was at that bloody game, farrrrrrrrk), loved him looking up to the heavens and saying "That's for you Johnny" after we beat Uruguay, loved how he said "voodball", loved his knowledge and passion for the game.

Fond memories of the 90's and early 2000's when I first started getting into the game, no one besides the die hards in Australia cared about the game and he was always there on SBS, hosting all those World Cups Australia didn't make, all those Champions League games and Premier League games.

Very sad :(

Good post Leon.

Is this what you are referring to?

First Socceroos game since Les passed tomorrow night. If we don't play inspired in some way that we need shooting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back