List Mgmt. Retirements and delistings 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Slightly alarming to note that with Brown (256), McGrath (214), Beamer (166), Raines (123) and probably Polks (94) gone we're already scheduled to lose 853 games from an already young list at an average of 170.6 games per.

To put that in perspective only Jed, Sauce and Patfull have even played 170 to date (Goose will be at 169 if he plays this weekend). Jed's obviously the captain and Patfull a strong (but not especially vocal) onfield leader, but neither Sauce nor Goose seem to instil much confidence and demand others 'follow me'.

I'm all for a youth policy, but we need a few more experienced heads out there. Tommy's already doing much of the heavy lifting and trying to gee the boys up; 2015 must be the year that Leuey, Rich, Redden et al take ownership of the team.

Either that or we import all those boys Zorks name-checked today...

but neither Sauce nor Goose seem to instil much confidence and demand others 'follow me'.

I actually disagree, particularly regarding Maguire. IMO, our backline turned around considerably once Maguire was brought back culminating in a form reversal of both Patfull and Clarke, who had both been quite poor up until his return in round 8. Gardiner also seems a lot more comfortable with Maguire nearby which I think owes to Maguire's influence.

I don't think it all comes down to coincidence, but with Maguire in 2014 we've won 6 wins and 7 losses compared to only 1 win 7 losses without him. I'm genuinely of the belief though that the defensive unit seems to walk a lot taller with Goose around.

Slightly alarming to note that with Brown (256), McGrath (214), Beamer (166), Raines (123) and probably Polks (94) gone we're already scheduled to lose 853 games from an already young list at an average of 170.6 games per.

To put that in perspective only Jed, Sauce and Patfull have even played 170 to date (Goose will be at 169 if he plays this weekend).

Yeah I was looking at this last night. The 5 you mention equate to losing more than 25% of the total games played by our list, so that's a heap of experience gone all at once.

To put that in perspective only Jed, Sauce and Patfull have even played 170 to date (Goose will be at 169 if he plays this weekend). Jed's obviously the captain and Patfull a strong (but not especially vocal) onfield leader, but neither Sauce nor Goose seem to instil much confidence and demand others 'follow me'.

I'm all for a youth policy, but we need a few more experienced heads out there. Tommy's already doing much of the heavy lifting and trying to gee the boys up; 2015 must be the year that Leuey, Rich, Redden et al take ownership of the team.

It is a really good point - we are losing a hell of a lot of experience despite already having an incredibly young side.

If we don't manage to get more reasonably experienced players onto our list next year then don't expect a massive turnaround on-field. It will be more of the same - I hate to imagine what will happen if we somehow got a bad run of injuries to those remaining players who are over (or close to) the 100 game mark.

At the moment it looks like we will go into 2015 with the following 100+ game players:
- Adcock 184 games
- Patfull 181 games
- Merrett 170 games
- Maguire 168 games
- Staker 154 games (doubtful whether he will be able to overcome constant injuries)
- Redden 112 games
- McGuane 108 games (again must be doubtful whether he will overcome is ongoing knee problem)
- Rocky 101 games
- Rich 101 games
[- Hanley 95 games]
[- Leuy 93 games]

So that is 9 100+ game players, 11 if you count the two that are almost there. However a couple of them (McGuane and Staker) seemingly have serious injury clouds hanging over them and 3 of the others will be coming back from serious injuries (Rich, Redden and Leuy).

Compare that to Freo who just played 13 100+ game players in the 22 that beat us on Sunday. They have 17 100+ game players on their list and another 3 that will definitely get theRE next year (yeah they will probably lose some as well - at this stage McPharlin looks like the only one who will almost certainly be gone).

Last edited:
Yeah, unfortunately even projecting out to the end of next year our age profile still doesn't look great.

On the plus side, we'll have a pretty solid core of established mids, a couple of battle-hardened (but still very young) KPD's and some handy rucks. Import an experienced KPF and maybe another mid and we'll have an exciting framework.

I wonder of Leppa will try and get a player for the same reason that Voss got Moloney in order to help tide us over the next couple of years and give us some depth. Someone like a Luke Ball on a one year contract would help steady us immensely when the going gets tough.

I wonder of Leppa will try and get a player for the same reason that Voss got Moloney in order to help tide us over the next couple of years and give us some depth. Someone like a Luke Ball on a one year contract would help steady us immensely when the going gets tough.
Luke Ball is cooked mate, from what I've seen I think he'll go 1 more year around at Collingwood and call it quits.

Luke Ball is cooked mate, from what I've seen I think he'll go 1 more year around at Collingwood and call it quits.

Yeah I know, bit tired and he was the only out of contract midfielder I could think of :p but a mature body would really help.

I assume that if Raines can find a club interested in him, the Lions will facilitate a trade for bugger-all to enable him to get to that club easily, without having to go through a draft.

Best of luck to him - hope he gets somewhere.

I assume that if Raines can find a club interested in him, the Lions will facilitate a trade for bugger-all to enable him to get to that club easily, without having to go through a draft.

Best of luck to him - hope he gets somewhere.

If we delist him he can sign wherever he wants as a delisted free agent without going through a draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick reckons he is a fantastic bloke, very professional and a great mentor to him and the other young blokes, always sets up in the structures correctly to the team plan
I reckon the young blokes will miss his leadership in that area

One of those cases where if he didn't get a gig on another team it would be nice to be able to sign him to our reserves side as a permanent player to assist in helping out with our young guys, especially while we're a fairly young team.

Agree with brown... others werent playing much at all the past 2 seasons anyway

A lot of this is fair, but I'd dispute the observation that Goose doesn't seem to instil much confidence. I saw a big shift in how settled our defence looked when we shifted Merrett forward and Goose into the backline.

A lot of this is fair, but I'd dispute the observation that Goose doesn't seem to instil much confidence. I saw a big shift in how settled our defence looked when we shifted Merrett forward and Goose into the backline.
That might say more about Merrett. Nonetheless goose has been great!

That might say more about Merrett. Nonetheless goose has been great!

There's some truth in that.

On the other hand, we've had some stretches of being fairly stingy defensively despite having 2 of our 4 key backs (Clarke and Gardiner) in either their first or second seasons. In my opinion, a decent chunk of that is attributable to the mighty Goose and the awesome faces he pulls at opposition forwards.

There's some truth in that.

On the other hand, we've had some stretches of being fairly stingy defensively despite having 2 of our 4 key backs (Clarke and Gardiner) in either their first or second seasons. In my opinion, a decent chunk of that is attributable to the mighty Goose and the awesome faces he pulls at opposition forwards.
Matt+Maguire+Brisbane+Lions+Training+Session+ZrY0sEuNj4xl.jpg

Goose is definitely elite at facial expressions. For me, arguably number one in the comp.

329548.jpg

Luke Ball announced his retirement today, needed an op that would have set him back for next year so he is done.

No lisle for the final game with Paine chosen to replace Close. I would hazard a guess and say that is the writing on the wall...

I actually disagree, particularly regarding Maguire. IMO, our backline turned around considerably once Maguire was brought back culminating in a form reversal of both Patfull and Clarke, who had both been quite poor up until his return in round 8. Gardiner also seems a lot more comfortable with Maguire nearby which I think owes to Maguire's influence.

I don't think it all comes down to coincidence, but with Maguire in 2014 we've won 6 wins and 7 losses compared to only 1 win 7 losses without him. I'm genuinely of the belief though that the defensive unit seems to walk a lot taller with Goose around.

To be fair the start of our draw was tougher than the end. That 1-7 included losses to 6 of the current top 8. With the other loss being to Gold Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back