List Mgmt. Retirements and delistings 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

6?
Step into my office...

V5ygsCe.png

I was a bit surprised by it- how often do guys only get one year on the rookie list?

More common than one would think:

2000 - Ben Doherty
2000 - Jason Anthonisz
2000 - Steve Kenna
2001 - Clint Alleway
2001 - Tom Tarrant
2003 - Paul Shelton
2003 - Kevin Tandogac
2004 - Matthew Pardew
2004 - Jeremy Stiller
2004 - Jake Furfaro
2005 - Travis Baird (2 senior games)
2006 - Brendan Quigley
2006 - Lenny Clark
2008 - Phil Smith
2009 - Daniel Murray
2009 - Adam Spackman
2010 - Sean Yoshuiara
2014 - Isaac Conway

I'm not sure if we were reading the same reserve reports but when you consider that they will always be phrased in a more positive than not manner, I think his were generally negative unless it was a wrap up from Matty Francis who would applaud everyone.

Ah fair enough. I think i may have been of the misunderstanding that he was signed for his potential and the reports were treating him as such. But cheers for the feedback, I am still new at recognising the progress of young players in footy haha

I think you're onto something.
7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 dwarves. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea.
7 asterisks

I think Lisle. Had most of the tools in place except he had a heart the size of a pea.

Agreed. I'll be most interested to see whether someone else gives him a chance. It is slim, but sides such as the Dogs, Carlton and St Kilda, all desperate for a key forward may just give him a year whilst their younger forwards continue to develop.

I liked Lisle but he wasn't effective as a second ruckman, wasn't an overly accurate kick for goal and floated in and out of games. I understand why he was delisted even though I think over the 3 years he's been at the club he probably could have been afforded a few more games (and particularly been given a genuine run of 5 games in a row with the full backing of the coach).

Paine has had one season at the club (and 3 in total compared to 6 for Lisle), is 3 years younger, didn't have a pre-season this year, kicked 45 goals in the VFL last season and sounds to me like he was trialled aroudn the field in the reserves all year rather than being given a solid run at his preferred position as a forward.

I think we can give Paine the benefit of the doubt of another year on the list ahead of Lisle. He may be no more likely to make it than Lisle but he has 3 years on his side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. I'll be most interested to see whether someone else gives him a chance. It is slim, but sides such as the Dogs, Carlton and St Kilda, all desperate for a key forward may just give him a year whilst their younger forwards continue to develop.

ability to mature rookie is helpful to him as well.

The question was recently asked on the Collingwood board

Heard Raines on Sen and he said Leppa told him around 8 weeks ago that he would be cut, he said he appreciated being told early and understood the direction Leppa was going in. Raines sounds like a nice guy, be good if another club gives him a shot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back