News Retro Round - Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if they'll bring back the OG socks?

I actually owned a pair of the away ones as a little kid. How's that for a rare purchase? Makes those 500 dollar Port Adelaide blue and white heritage socks look genuinely pathetic.

1553329063950_G2524JID2.2-2.jpg

I really thought the club could have gone a bit unique this year. I like the current set-up and our sticking to it, but it'd be a fun season. I'd make the away strip a light brown, signifying the colour of the West End (basically the hub of Freo, which is 80% federation-era buildings), perhaps with an old street map sublimated on it. I've long thought that was a smart move for the Dees but we should have snatched it.

Trot out the original home for the game against North Melbourne, Geelong, and Essendon.

In Melbourne against Essendon, Collingwood, Dees, Dogs, St Kilda: green based jumper, white shorts.

Finally! Rosich announced we were wearing this against bombers in round 1 nearly a year ago, I spose they delayed it since we never ended up pulling the bombers for a round 1 match.

Pumped to get one of these, love seeing the colours back, Heritage round needs to make a comeback ASAP

Are people loving the execution of the old guernsey and its nostalgia, or genuinely liking the design?
As much as I love a nod to the past and appreciate the execution of this strip, I don't like the design in the first place. Red green purple and white don't work together. I always preferred the green away strip.

Way better than their 25 chevron jumper they wore against Norths. It's a shame they're not wearing their 1995 away "green machine" this year as well though.

I miss the red and green on their guernseys. They need to bring back the red and green into their regular guernseys like so View attachment 699245
I've always thought this too!
Don't get why they didn't

Are people loving the execution of the old guernsey and its nostalgia, or genuinely liking the design?
As much as I love a nod to the past and appreciate the execution of this strip, I don't like the design in the first place. Red green purple and white don't work together. I always preferred the green away strip.
Personally, I just think it’s a unique and bold colour combination. I like the design because I feel it’s the only way these colours work with one another, any other design and I think it would probably look ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like that they have cleaned it up a little bit so it isn't an exact copy. I personally never warmed to it as a design because it is too out there to have longevity. There is a reason classic design elements like sashes, monograms and the like work, whereas anchors and swoops do not. I also feel four colours are one too many from a branding point of view.

That one might even be from their first ever Practice Match - Pre Round 1.

Pretty sure that’s David Muir (centre) and Craig Burrows.

If you can produce some Leigh Waddell-Johnson, Clinton Wolf or Peter Miller, I’ll be even more impressed..

It is the practice match!

Here's some Leigh Wardell-Johnson from another '95 pre-season practice match, the game where Lazar Vidovic went nuts

25270.jpg

Clinton Wolf

25654.jpg

Peter Miller

162956.jpg

And here's some Darren Capewell, who never played a game

25553.jpg

Hmmm looking at those old pictures now, I’m less enthused about the anchor. Proportions are all wrong. Possibly just looks bad because it gets stretched with modern material, but the horizontal part of the anchor is too thick IMO.
Yeah, I was thinking this too. As well as the proportions, I don't think the Anchor comes far enough down the jumper either.

I had an inkling this was the case and yes it is: Fremantle won its first derby wearing this in 1999.

1554977338120_GTA25KS1B.2-1.jpg

Piss pants Brodie Holland ruins this photo but still. The club should've brought this back for the home derby next week. This v the peril. Twenty years since, etc etc.

That 25 years one with the 'wow we're so crafty' chevrons is so lame.

I don't get why we didn't just wear the original anchor jumper for 3-4 home games.

Bring back the green anchor for the two MCG matches we played and against Richmond at home and you've got a perfect balance.

A white clash version of the 3D anchor would have been even more 1999 than the original but hey, can't expect that.

68991809_10156826869669317_1824158741885353984_n.jpg

69133397_10156826869659317_3738307515457208320_n.jpg

Expected this to look pretty average but it's pretty much perfect. Looks great with the shorts especially.

Using the cotton-canvas 'seagull' looking anchor worked in its favour as well. It looks a lot more classic. First time (afaik) that Freo's had the wonky anchor on the modern polyester and again, it works really well. Couldn't imagine how cool the green away would have been and it seems the sentimental favourite amongst Freo fans, but it's probably another 25 years away now.

Hopefully they went all out and brought back the original socks too – underrated design, we should integrate them into the clash sock design.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back