Discussion Retro Saints Games - A Trip Down Memory Lane

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
One of the best wins I've seen live, no Loewe and Spida was sent to full forward and kicked 5.

Unbelievable to think Stan Alves was sacked later that year after we lost a final to Melbourne and was replaced by Tim Watson.

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
The Ken Sheldon shaking Craig Devonport game.

Dean Greig and Frankie Coghlan were underrated.

Dean Greig was as tough as nails, think his first game for the Saints he got 35+ possies ?.

Also had a punch on with Gavin Brown, he got suspended for a couple of weeks and Brown got off Scott free as I recall.

Saints have had that avatar in Burke, Powell, Keogh, Ball and Steele in recent decades.

Tough, uncompromising. We need it again....

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Dean Greig was as tough as nails, think his first game for the Saints he got 35+ possies ?.

Also had a punch on with Gavin Brown, he got suspended for a couple of weeks and Brown got off Scott free as I recall.

Saints have had that avatar in Burke, Powell, Keogh, Ball and Steele in recent decades.

Tough, uncompromising. We need it again....

Rocking Rod Keogh now we're talking, he was a tough unit.

Powell laid a hit on Cameron Bruce in a big game against Melbourme.

The best hit I saw live was Guerra cleaning up Byron Schammer of Freo, ironed him out.

That was back when GT coached us, we were a skillful team back then but we had a hard edge.

Baker, Powell, Guerra were his hitmen.

We played the best brand of Saints footy I've seen under GT, tough and skillful.

Bring him back.

Last edited:

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
Rocking Rod Keogh now we're talking, he was a tough unit.

Powell laid a hit on Cameron Bruce in a big game against Melbourme.

The best hit I saw live was Guerra cleaning up Byron Schammer of Freo, ironed him out.

That was back when GT coached us, we were a skillful team back then but we had a hard edge.

Baker, Powell, Guerra were his hitmen.

I think Guerra cleaned up Cameron Bruce in the first minute of a game against the Dees at the Dome. Broke his collarbone when Bruce was on Brownlow pace.

Powell smashed Cameron Ling in the preseason final and used the video as his case to be in the leadership team. Quoth the Channel 7 vision he showed the club: “you got what you deserved you red headed cnut” !. Powell got voted in.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I think Guerra cleaned up Cameron Bruce in the first minute of a game against the Dees at the Dome. Broke his collarbone when Bruce was on Brownlow pace.

Powell smashed Cameron Ling in the preseason final and used the video as his case to be in the leadership team. Quoth the Channel 7 vision he showed the club: “you got what you deserved you red headed cnut” !. Powell got voted in.

I remember when Powell smashed Ling, good times.

I also remember when Baker elbowed Stevie J in the head and copped 10 weeks, he may as well have king hit the campaigner.

I miss the good old days of St Kilda when we lost on the scoreboard but would win the fight.

Back