Retro Video Games Are Useless

Remove this Banner Ad

The only value you will get out of actually owning retro video games is the novelty of using the controller that the game was built to use. Interesting video.

Emulation generally provides a better experience, I can't see retro video games having a popularity boost the way vinyl records have.

To me, without being totally privy to what has gone on outside the mainstream game sales beforehand, there's been an obvious renaissance in the kind of 8-bit visual style of games rather than the old games themselves. We're still stuck with the hardware limitations of old consoles.
As far as emulation goes, we're subjected to the emulation software instead. I've eyed off the PS4 atari flashbacks but found the games lists uninspiring.
I've been tempted by the atari consoles that have a zillion games in built but held my nerve.

Music is much more universal and timeless. Shitty old Pong consoles/games would have wowed people at the time but are disappointing nowadays given technology is capable of much more.

If you want to speedrun competitively on community leaderboards you must own the real thing for accuracy and authentication.

Playing games at full 60 fps and whatnot just isn't the same as how they were intended, even as imperfect as they are.

You only have to look at sales of the snes and nes classic (lesser extent playsation classic but it was a s**t attempt) that people value a offical and hardware based way to play these games on modern tv rather thent their PC emulation.

Personally I use a gaming PC but i'd rather use my time on it on Steam or work.

It's a weird one to convey.

If you want to speedrun competitively on community leaderboards you must own the real thing for accuracy and authentication.

Playing games at full 60 fps and whatnot just isn't the same as how they were intended, even as imperfect as they are.

You only have to look at sales of the snes and nes classic (lesser extent playsation classic but it was a s**t attempt) that people value a offical and hardware based way to play these games on modern tv rather thent their PC emulation.

Personally I use a gaming PC but i'd rather use my time on it on Steam or work.

It's a weird one to convey.

I love my SNES Mini, as it has to my mind some of the greatest games ever made on it. Not sure I'd pay for an original SNES and the games now, given how inflated the price would be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back