Discussion Retrospective Views. How smart are were the BigFooty crowd.

I've been browsing some of the old threads. They make for interesting reading.

For example , we look back now and think , "what were we thinking we drafted Cain Ackland "?

Prior to the draft we knew Knobel would be leaving, and there were also concerns that Blake would get poached by the Hawks.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/who-should-we-select.140391/

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/why-didnt-saints-take-cameron-wood-with-pick-17.145539/

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/cain-ackland.140615/

Its an interesting discussion, and Ackland was not actually the worst decision.
Other options in the draft were Cam Wood, Ivan Maric , Adam Pattison, and Simon Taylor.
If we'd been smart enough to get Maric, it still wouldn't have given us an option for 2005 ,2006.

Notable Quotes from the above:
Kildonian's over the top comment:

and words of wisdom by Sainter amongst warning by friendly Port supporters.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I kind of went digging , because i read the draft thread and its full of unsubstantiated:

Player A will be the bust of this draft.
Player B will be a gun even though none of the experts are talking about them.
i was on SS back in the day but i remember the froffage about Albert Proud and Nathan Djerrkura in the 2006 draft year and the full on melts when we got Armo with people going nuts saying with us picking Gilbo the year earlier that we were far too QLD focused ... i remember getting shot down in flames for suggesting Jack Reiwoldt for pick 9 with people saying hid big goal hauls were just a fluke and at AFL level he would be lucky to touch the ball and if he didnt have the Reiwoldt name he would be a rookie selection ...
i also remember thinking Laine Spaanderman was going to be the next big thing ...

ive had some shocking calls. mainly in my defence of scott watters. i dont want to repeat that era ever again

learnt a lot from it though

mainly that the divisive figures employed by the football club should never come before supporters on here who will still be there, paying up, supporting the club, long after the employee is gone

important part is sticking fat and building a strong supporter base

sauce_head

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 24, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
i was on SS back in the day but i remember the froffage about Albert Proud and Nathan Djerrkura in the 2006 draft year and the full on melts when we got Armo with people going nuts saying with us picking Gilbo the year earlier that we were far too QLD focused ... i remember getting shot down in flames for suggesting Jack Reiwoldt for pick 9 with people saying hid big goal hauls were just a fluke and at AFL level he would be lucky to touch the ball and if he didnt have the Reiwoldt name he would be a rookie selection ...
i also remember thinking Laine Spaanderman was going to be the next big thing ...
I remember the Jack Reiwoldt statements as well! I often think about that

Probably the same people who think Armo is going home to Queensland each year.

Here's an interesting one.
Should we have drafted Didak instead of Kosi.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/koschitske-or-didak.76405/

Surely the last line is taking the piss.
Still, would ahve to go with Kosi, Saints would be nowhere without the big fella! Although, maybe Capuano would still be around???

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
ive had some shocking calls. mainly in my defence of scott watters. i dont want to repeat that era ever again

learnt a lot from it though

mainly that the divisive figures employed by the football club should never come before supporters on here who will still be there, paying up, supporting the club, long after the employee is gone

important part is sticking fat and building a strong supporter base
look my opinion isnt popular but i reckon Scotty was just following the Malthouse teaching too much ... i remember being at an event where malthouse was speaking at and he was talking about why and how Ken Judge failed at the WCE .. his thoughts were that Ken came in with the ghosts of himself still in the club and he let the club dictate what he could and couldnt do so he was coach but he never had control of the club.. Mick mentioned that the moment he walked in the door at collingwood he made it clear he was in charge and if they wanted his services as coach then he was going to build the team around him to be successful... i reckon Scotty came in with that same mind set that he needed to sweep out all of the lyon out of the club to be in control i reckon this and his natural arrogance rubbed the senior players the wrong way especially considering the hardships the team had gone through with the flag being soo close but so far for a guy to come in and just say "forget all that its now my way" wouldnt have gone down well then there were comment made by watters about culture and the attitude that really rubbed a hell of a lot of people the wrong way ... i reckon it made leaving easier for BJ and Dal Santo but when the club caught wind that Rooey had been approached by Collingwood on top of the apointment of Jamie Graham without anyone being told the club realised that Watters was causing too much of a divide and that the players not only didnt respect him they were willing to leave because of him ...
with Malthouse he had the legacy behind him to pull that kind of approach for Watters all he did was make people dislike him

look my opinion isnt popular but i reckon Scotty was just following the Malthouse teaching too much ... i remember being at an event where malthouse was speaking at and he was talking about why and how Ken Judge failed at the WCE .. his thoughts were that Ken came in with the ghosts of himself still in the club and he let the club dictate what he could and couldnt do so he was coach but he never had control of the club.. Mick mentioned that the moment he walked in the door at collingwood he made it clear he was in charge and if they wanted his services as coach then he was going to build the team around him to be successful... i reckon Scotty came in with that same mind set that he needed to sweep out all of the lyon out of the club to be in control i reckon this and his natural arrogance rubbed the senior players the wrong way especially considering the hardships the team had gone through with the flag being soo close but so far for a guy to come in and just say "forget all that its now my way" wouldnt have gone down well then there were comment made by watters about culture and the attitude that really rubbed a hell of a lot of people the wrong way ... i reckon it made leaving easier for BJ and Dal Santo but when the club caught wind that Rooey had been approached by Collingwood on top of the apointment of Jamie Graham without anyone being told the club realised that Watters was causing too much of a divide and that the players not only didnt respect him they were willing to leave because of him ...
with Malthouse he had the legacy behind him to pull that kind of approach for Watters all he did was make people dislike him

agree 100% i think you've nailed the assessment trav

from memory the assistant wasnt graham, i think he was already at the club. it was some other coach from over here, who had worked for freo in the AFL before

wasnt there some WTF moment, when watters interview and appointed him, then started introducing him to all the staff, only to be asked WTF is going on as no one had signed off on it

i think it was around the time when we had no CEO or president and watters was ignoring his boss pelchen, who went on literally weeks of AWOL annual leave without telling anyone where he was and what happened. people literally couldnt contact him either

agree 100% i think you've nailed the assessment trav

from memory the assistant wasnt graham, i think he was already at the club. it was some other coach from over here, who had worked for freo in the AFL before

wasnt there some WTF moment, when watters interview and appointed him, then started introducing him to all the staff, only to be asked WTF is going on as no one had signed off on it

i think it was around the time when we had no CEO or president and watters was ignoring his boss pelchen, who went on literally weeks of AWOL annual leave without telling anyone where he was and what happened. people literally couldnt contact him either

Prescott

Not just the players.
Modern football clubs are all about processes, not dictators.
It would have been a huge step backwards to allow that sort of crap.
End up with the wrong man in charge and you get Essendon Football Club.

Paratus78

Cancelled
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Wonder what was said about these two!

7DDDDDF0-8804-44C8-8CD3-B2D258A6FECC.jpeg
24E6C2EB-1074-4D7D-AE0F-A7C0BCFAA174.jpeg

Jun 14, 2015
Oslo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Have followed these threads for quite a few years now.

One thing that happens every year, is the board gets convinced we will use a first round / high draft pick on some plodder who we project will be a superstar. We take little snippets of random info and obsess over him. Then when we they go as a 3rd / 4th rounder we wonder how did that happen?

R.McKenzie, Mathieson, Lamb, Mason Shaw etc

This year is Boner.

Those people listed below are all paid in some professional capacity (I think) to pass judgment on under 18 talent. None have him in the top 25

B. Anderson (Inside Footy) - Not in top 20
Wallace (Future stars) - Not in top 20
Twomey (AFL.com September 2017) - not in top 25
Buckenara (HUN) - not in top 30
R.Beverage (Fox Footy) - 25
Knightmare (ESPN) - 25 in power rankings
Bishop (who ARR rates) - 30 in power rankings

But we want him at 7/8 or worry he might be gone by then. Maybe we take him and I (and the others above) are wrong. One thing that's for certain is someone will say person x (mentioned above) knows nothing and got player y incorrect 3 years ago.

But he is my tip for the 2017 'surprise' slider - who is actually not a surprise at all. Watch the melts if he is still on the board and we pass at 34...

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda

One thing that happens every year, is the board gets convinced we will use a first round / high draft pick on some plodder who we project will be a superstar. We take little snippets of random info and obsess over him. Then when we they go as a 3rd / 4th rounder we wonder how did that happen?

This year is Boner.

Those people listed below are all paid in some professional capacity (I think) to pass judgment on under 18 talent. None have him in the top 25

But we want him at 7/8 or worry he might be gone by then. Maybe we take him and I (and the others above) are wrong. One thing that's for certain is someone will say person x (mentioned above) knows nothing and got player y incorrect 3 years ago.

But he is my tip for the 2017 'surprise' slider - who is actually not a surprise at all. Watch the melts if he is still on the board and we pass at 34...

Best to get the latest on the pros predictions.

Brett Anderson for example thinks Bonar may not be avail at our pick

Bishop thinks Bonar goes pick 8 to us

Fox footy just had a mock draft with Bonar going 7 to us

We on Saints BF are simply ahead of the curb ;)

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda

This year is Boner.

So true.

I think Matthieson was a result of some so called insiders stating the club would take him.

Then they all convinced themselves how great he was etc.

Back