Discussion Retrospective Views. How smart are were the BigFooty crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

ripping post!

i never knew that but ive seen similar treatment dished out by the senior freo players towards the younger ones at peel

what's the common denominator? sounds like a bi-product of a ross lyon coached side
i dont know if Ross was the reasoning though... i was fortunate enough to have had a peak behind the curtain for a period of time under 4 differant coaches and honestly it follows a pretty standard trajectory to do with the phase of the careers of the players .. in their first few seasons they are all like energetic puppies everything is exciting they are curious and as a general rule happy kids .. after that they become more focused on the tasks they are about routines, preperation, focus focus focus at this stage some players become super intense especially on game day. then as the players come towards the end they become more philosopical they are more calm easy going more encoragment to the younger kids... and so on continues the cycle as the club brings in more kids the core group enter the "grump" phase as the older players get to the end they enter the "mellow" phase.. i think the issue during the Lyon era was more the age demo we didnt have any of the real "older statesmen" left so it was only the young guys and the intense guys (plus being in g/f mode amplifys that)

Also BJ Goddard is kind of a dick on the football field. Telling someone to "harden up" after an injury is a shitty thing to do.

Also BJ Goddard is kind of a dick on the football field. Telling someone to "harden up" after an injury is a shitty thing to do.
High standards with BJ

Played with a broken collarbone in the 09 grand final so I can see why

High standards with BJ

Played with a broken collarbone in the 09 grand final so I can see why
High standards is one thing, being an idiot to the detriment of your young teammates is another. Its not like its stopped either, the whole pretzel thing being another example haha.

i reckon thats really unfair on BJ honestly ... in all my deallings with him ill grant you he is the most intense player going - very process driven, very accountable, very vocal.. but he is also his own harshest critic.. he puts demands on himself to reach the outcome for the team and its that drive and focus that can come off arrogant or "D-headish" but i know at St Kilda it was seen as a strong quallity not a poor one .. there are two ways a spray from Goddard effected people 1. they get upset and sulk about it or 2. the fire up and go harder again and again and again..

thinking back at it now it may have been Rooey giving the spray not BJ cause i do remember BJ having to be stretchered off during the game but not sure it that was early or late... i remember because pre-game the trainers did a training run on the stretcher (the first time i had seen that) and as a qwirk to that game the stretcher was needed twice during the game ..

i reckon thats really unfair on BJ honestly ... in all my deallings with him ill grant you he is the most intense player going - very process driven, very accountable, very vocal.. but he is also his own harshest critic.. he puts demands on himself to reach the outcome for the team and its that drive and focus that can come off arrogant or "D-headish" but i know at St Kilda it was seen as a strong quallity not a poor one .. there are two ways a spray from Goddard effected people 1. they get upset and sulk about it or 2. the fire up and go harder again and again and again..

thinking back at it now it may have been Rooey giving the spray not BJ cause i do remember BJ having to be stretchered off during the game but not sure it that was early or late... i remember because pre-game the trainers did a training run on the stretcher (the first time i had seen that) and as a qwirk to that game the stretcher was needed twice during the game ..

was that the jason blake collision? i vaguely re-call gwilt as well?

was that the jason blake collision? i vaguely re-call gwilt as well?
yeah from memory we were the walking wounded from that game with two guys off with a stretcher Blake had his knee bashed in by dempsters head ??? i think Rooey also had a hamstring issue during the game... amazingly we still trashed the dockers that day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back