Return to Princes Park: MARCH 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont disagree. The princes park tree hugging collective will block the development every step of the way too

We would face similar with PRO. We need part of yarra park if we were to have a proper boutique stadium, and the greens are getting mega protective of that space

PRO has many issues if rebuilding it is to be considered.

The Dyer stand is heritage listed, so you can't really tear it down, and the MCC has control of Yarra park, and they would be opposed to PRO expanding anywhere near enough to be viable.

PP has similar issues, but is in an even worse state because Public transport there just isn't going to handle a ~20-30K crowd which is pretty much the minimum requirement (and the NIMBYs would freak as well due to both the crowded PT and traffic/parking).

Add to that the not insignificant detail that any boutique ground proposal basically relies on the idea of playing non Vic clubs there...While the non Vic clubs are demanding more games at the G in case they make the GF. (not unreasonable IMO).

So as with any such proposal, you're looking at big $$$ and needing to fight tooth and nail for every game there....Whatever the romance of such proposals, it just wont happen.

Kardinia Park seems to barely pass as AFL standard according to some people on this forum and that has had well over $100m spent on it in recent years. Princes Park would need to be torn down and started again, maybe with the exception of the Legends Stand which would still need a refurbishment.
Neither does Etihad in many people's books.
Most people just pick at things and just whinge now days as it's easy to do

PRO has many issues if rebuilding it is to be considered.

The Dyer stand is heritage listed, so you can't really tear it down, and the MCC has control of Yarra park, and they would be opposed to PRO expanding anywhere near enough to be viable.

PP has similar issues, but is in an even worse state because Public transport there just isn't going to handle a ~20-30K crowd which is pretty much the minimum requirement (and the NIMBYs would freak as well due to both the crowded PT and traffic/parking).

Add to that the not insignificant detail that any boutique ground proposal basically relies on the idea of playing non Vic clubs there...While the non Vic clubs are demanding more games at the G in case they make the GF. (not unreasonable IMO).

So as with any such proposal, you're looking at big $$$ and needing to fight tooth and nail for every game there....Whatever the romance of such proposals, it just wont happen.

The dyer stand IS NOT heritage listed. Go to the heritage website. Yarra park is. The coachmans trough is. The g is. No part of pro is (this is a myth that started on the forums years ago)

Not sure why you are arguing eith me though, i said both arent happening

The dyer stand IS NOT heritage listed. Go to the heritage website. Yarra park is. The coachmans trough is. The g is. No part of pro is (this is a myth that started on the forums years ago)

Not sure why you are arguing eith me though, i said both arent happening

I stand corrected on the Dyer stand.

Wasn't arguing, I thought I was agreeing/supporting your point and drawing the comparison with PP. Sorry if it appeared otherwise.

Wheels are turning behind the scenes apparently... something might come of it in a few years.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-dollar-stadium-upgrades-20170712-gx9yfk.html

Traditional AFL rivals Richmond and Carlton are each pitching for multimillion-dollar government support to transform their old home grounds at Punt Road and Princes Park.

The Tigers and the Blues have submitted blueprints to the Victorian Government in a move that could form part of Premier Daniel Andrews' 2018 election strategy, along with a largely taxpayer-funded $300 million upgrade of Etihad Stadium.

And in a separate development, the AFL has begun detailed research into the future of its new national women's league, with Carlton's Ikon Park emerging as the proposed home of AFLW, potentially boasting an upgraded 20,000 to 25,000-seat stadium, with 70 per cent of that being undercover.

The prospect of Carlton's old home again hosting AFL games remains on the table.

25,000 isn't much, three or four thousand extra seats. Aim for 30-32k (in stages) IMO.

If I were in chage with a lot of cash I'd dismantle and relocate/rebuild the Gardiner Stand towards the southern end of Princes Park, make it overlook Crawford Oval. The stand is falling apart and the roof is crap and a bunch of the seats are rotten and need replacing (also you can't see the goals from one end of the stand thanks to the new admin&training building) It really needs refurbishing.

My proposal is to relocate the stand, at least and in the space it occupies dig down to create a level of carparking for club staff & players and include a pool or training facilities underneath a new 2-3 tier stand which would stand around the same height as the Heroes (nee Elliot) stand nextdoor. It would include new commentary boxes and some multifunction rooms within it on the second tier.

Then as a second or third stage you extend the same or similar design around East and demolish and replace the Heroes stand, which doens't have heaps of seating within it because of the video screen and scoreboard as well as the commentary boxes (which are now relocated in the Gardiner stand replacement)

As for the training building, you remove the long training room/hall that fronts directly onto the playing surface and replace it with seating. The new stand will have a replacement room and this frees up the same amount of space as around the rest of the ground level seating.

Get some money from the Melbourne City Council by gifting them the relocated Gardiner Stand and promising to free up half the existing carpark and return it to parkland.

Wheels are turning behind the scenes apparently... something might come of it in a few years.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-dollar-stadium-upgrades-20170712-gx9yfk.html

25,000 isn't much, three or four thousand extra seats. Aim for 30-32k (in stages) IMO.

If I were in chage with a lot of cash I'd dismantle and relocate/rebuild the Gardiner Stand towards the southern end of Princes Park, make it overlook Crawford Oval. The stand is falling apart and the roof is crap and a bunch of the seats are rotten and need replacing (also you can't see the goals from one end of the stand thanks to the new admin&training building) It really needs refurbishing.

My proposal is to relocate the stand, at least and in the space it occupies dig down to create a level of carparking for club staff & players and include a pool or training facilities underneath a new 2-3 tier stand which would stand around the same height as the Heroes (nee Elliot) stand nextdoor. It would include new commentary boxes and some multifunction rooms within it on the second tier.

Then as a second or third stage you extend the same or similar design around East and demolish and replace the Heroes stand, which doens't have heaps of seating within it because of the video screen and scoreboard as well as the commentary boxes (which are now relocated in the Gardiner stand replacement)

As for the training building, you remove the long training room/hall that fronts directly onto the playing surface and replace it with seating. The new stand will have a replacement room and this frees up the same amount of space as around the rest of the ground level seating.

Get some money from the Melbourne City Council by gifting them the relocated Gardiner Stand and promising to free up half the existing carpark and return it to parkland.

If it is going to happen it will not be the Gardiner Stand being removed and replaced.

It will be the Pratt/Hawthorn stand which will be removed and replaced. Stage one.

Best viewing area and large enough area to provide excellent supporter amenity as well as community facilities at the back of the stand.

Wait until the Metro Tunnel is complete, there will be a train station right on it's doorstep in Parkville.
MM-MAP-20160108-Project-Alignment-map.jpg

Once that's done you could consider it, but let's face it, it won't be done. It's not up to scratch. I went a couple days ago but all the stuff like the entrance and all that is not in a good state. The only way to have all that fixed would be to knock it all down and rebuild a whole new stadium, but then you might as well build a whole new stadium in any other location.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gardiner Stand stays but renovated

The old Hawthorn stand structural looks ok but also needs renovation

Legend Stand was hardly used

Would love to see the Blues play 6 MCG / 5 PP !!

Wait until the Metro Tunnel is complete, there will be a train station right on it's doorstep in Parkville.

Once that's done you could consider it, but let's face it, it won't be done. It's not up to scratch. I went a couple days ago but all the stuff like the entrance and all that is not in a good state. The only way to have all that fixed would be to knock it all down and rebuild a whole new stadium, but then you might as well build a whole new stadium in any other location.
I'm assuming they've taken this into consideration and by the time renovations start (if they do) for Princess Park the completion dates will be near each other.

Don't have to wait for the Metro tunnel to be finished before starting this.

A massive part of this project is Arden. Govt is planning to spend $7b redeveloping the area, and north is already lobbying to be a part of it. Involves taking over the hardware joint, lost dogs home, and estimates of up to $100m, but no official yay or nay yet

Imo they are well placed to get some decent coin as the govt wants arden to succeed, question is how much

Gee I would love to see the mighty blues at princess park in a home and away game v an interstate club like Gold Coast or Brisbane. Would make a killing unlike Etihad home games
With the afl now owning Etihad will be interesting to see if the grounds tenants start making money from their home games.

The only future princess park unfortunately has is probably to play host to the AFLW league & pre season games

It's a shorter walk from Royal Park station

People need to stop saying the tunnel will help out Prinny Park. Parkville station is at the far south end of the Uni and still a huge walk from the Oval. Arden station however is right next to Arden Street Oval which makes it a development opportunity.

Rumour is Princes Park is about to get some TLC in the leadup to AFLW 2018 season. New drainage for the oval, digging out 1m of soil (not sure if that is just for drainage works and new topsoil or actual lowering of the ground level) and re-turfing, not sure if it is re-seeding or laying strips of pre-grown turf. Ontop of other works,new AFL standard goalposts have already been confirmed (from Mark LoGuidice himself) but I'm not sure if that'll happen before of after AFLW'18 season.

There might be enough time for seeds to grow during spring and summer if the works are completed quickly, which would be fantastic as the Shangai stadium had amazing grass due to starting from scratch and not using rolls of turf.

The AFL is paying for these works. Other improvements to replace old wooden benchess, coats of paint and PA system upgrades/re-installation may happen but would be club funded and probably won't happen before the AFLW season due to scope of work.

Rumour is Princes Park is about to get some TLC in the leadup to AFLW 2018 season. New drainage for the oval, digging out 1m of soil (not sure if that is just for drainage works and new topsoil or actual lowering of the ground level) and re-turfing, not sure if it is re-seeding or laying strips of pre-grown turf. Ontop of other works,new AFL standard goalposts have already been confirmed (from Mark LoGuidice himself) but I'm not sure if that'll happen before of after AFLW'18 season.

There might be enough time for seeds to grow during spring and summer if the works are completed quickly, which would be fantastic as the Shangai stadium had amazing grass due to starting from scratch and not using rolls of turf.

The AFL is paying for these works. Other improvements to replace old wooden benchess, coats of paint and PA system upgrades/re-installation may happen but would be club funded and probably won't happen before the AFLW season due to scope of work.
If this all happens potentially the Blues can start to work towards playing GC , Giants & other interstate clubs back @ PP !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back