Return to Princes Park: MARCH 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the most insane decisions ever made by any business organisation let alone a sporting one. What absolute imbecile decided Carltron were going to be better off leaving Princes park? There is no doubt they should still be playing a minimum of 5 home games a year there against the Interstate teams. Throw in a couple of North fixtures too...

Railroaded by Ian Collins. Understand how Big Jack had to go, but to elect the bloody CEO of Docklands was just lunacy.

Railroaded by Ian Collins. Understand how Big Jack had to go, but to elect the bloody CEO of Docklands was just lunacy.
It has been the single greatest factor in their demise this century, once they left Princes park they were doomed! It would cost a fortune just to bring it up to standard as a boutique stadium that could seat 25k. Sad.

Maybe we'll get hundred million from the government (state and fed) like Geelong did.

I think that's the plan, make it the home of AFLW and get a new grandstand out of various upgrades.

Hawthorn did not finance it. Carlton agreed to build it as part of the deal for us to play games there.
Also they broadcast from the opposite side.
I thought the Hawthorn Stand was next to the old grandstand with the big overhanging roof with the classic Coca-Cola and Optus sponsors painted on the top? Or is the Hawthorn Stand the one with the sloped roof that the Legends Stand was based on?

On which, why was this made with that roof design? I know the newest one was to make the incline lower and to take up less actual ground space but was this also the reasoning in the 60s or 80s or whatever for the other?

One of the most insane decisions ever made by any business organisation let alone a sporting one. What absolute imbecile decided Carltron were going to be better off leaving Princes park? There is no doubt they should still be playing a minimum of 5 home games a year there against the Interstate teams. Throw in a couple of North fixtures too...
Basically someone on the board also being part of the Colonial Stadium private consortium thing right? Or the club having no bargaining power due to the salary cap issues and being poor and no good on field?

Had a beer or two and the melancholy and feeling I have of Optus Oval perks up now and then. It is the scene of my earliest ever memory. I had beers there with high school friends from Western Australia and new mates from Victoria and the yellow afternoon hitting the bricks on the north side towards Brunswick instils something rare in me and is a weirdly precise visual of saudade.

The Hawthorn Stand is the Pratt stand now, which housed the away team rooms when Carlton were playing and Hawthorn for their home games. The stand with the old Optus and Coke signs is the Ald Gardiner Stand (this stand seated some Carlton Social Club members and the umpires change rooms).

I thought the Hawthorn Stand was next to the old grandstand with the big overhanging roof with the classic Coca-Cola and Optus sponsors painted on the top? Or is the Hawthorn Stand the one with the sloped roof that the Legends Stand was based on?

On which, why was this made with that roof design? I know the newest one was to make the incline lower and to take up less actual ground space but was this also the reasoning in the 60s or 80s or whatever for the other?

Basically someone on the board also being part of the Colonial Stadium private consortium thing right? Or the club having no bargaining power due to the salary cap issues and being poor and no good on field?

Had a beer or two and the melancholy and feeling I have of Optus Oval perks up now and then. It is the scene of my earliest ever memory. I had beers there with high school friends from Western Australia and new mates from Victoria and the yellow afternoon hitting the bricks on the north side towards Brunswick instils something rare in me and is a weirdly precise visual of saudade.

The English language has some grievous holes in it. I'm talking about everyday phenomena that we have all noticed, yet don't have terms for. You, may very well have solved that problem.

What would be first to go? Training facilities or a stand. If it’s a stand, which one? My guess would be Heroes Stand.
I'd think so. It contains a bunch of community group offices (as well as Umpires Victoria) and if they rebuilt it with more tiers and seating, a proper video screen scoreboard and actual modern broadcast facilities it would fix a lot of problems, maybe even move the coaches boxes to that side of the ground.

It is also on the northern side so you can have slightly taller grandstand with a roof which gives spectators shade without overshadowing of the parkland which residents would be opposed to.

Hawthorn one is the one that the legends stand was based off. I always found it weird going there when I wad around 6 or so watching the Bullants in the VFL and wondering why there was a gap in between the two stands (Legends and Pratt) as I'm used to big connected stadiums like the MCG or Etihad. Took me until last year that they were built over 40 years apart! The one next to the Optus/Coke stand (which is called the Gardiner Stand) is the Carlton Heroes Stand - previously known as the John Elliott Stand.

Herald Sun reported yesterday that "The growing popularity of AFLW is a key factor in the plan (to spend c.$1 billion on stadia improvements -my words), with the government (Vic. -my word) considering proposals to expand suburban grounds such as Richmond's Punt Rd Oval and Carlton's Ikon Park to cater for bigger crowds". No details given.

The AFLW & VFLW just keep on giving for AF!

Last edited:
Occasionally going there for Carlton trainings when i'm over in Melbourne, the thing I notice is all the old sponsor boards. Not on ground signage but those sponsorships at the back part of the Legends Stand. I swear there was one that had Merv Hughes in the ad!

Occasionally going there for Carlton trainings when i'm over in Melbourne, the thing I notice is all the old sponsor boards. Not on ground signage but those sponsorships at the back part of the Legends Stand. I swear there was one that had Merv Hughes in the ad!

Yeah, the Merv Hughes one is for Grunt, which is the major sponsor of the Noethern Blues.

And, what's going to happen with the Jack Fingleton Scoreboards?

They’re at Manuka oval in Canberra, still going strong I believe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The old sponsors do intrigue me quite a bit (even though Grunt isn't one of the old ones.) You would think with countless VFL, Preseason games, Women's games and training sessions taking place there that they would have removed old sponsors but nope, there are still a lot.
And, what's going to happen with the Jack Fingleton Scoreboards?
Do you mean the Sam Smorgon Scoreboards? The one affixed to the Heroes Stand is still working, the one in between the Legends and Pratt stands has been covered with an Ikon ad about 1.5x the size of the old scoreboard.

I like that it's full of old sponsors, hope they don't go unless it's to make way for proper ones for AFL games.

Maybe we'll get hundred million from the government (state and fed) like Geelong did.

I think that's the plan, make it the home of AFLW and get a new grandstand out of various upgrades.

VIC Government took ownership of Kardinia Park after all the money was spent on it. Do you want that?

Reddit user 'Screambloodyleprosy' (not sure if they're a member here) was at a ghosts of princes park tour yesterday and took some snaps of the turf. The last one is looking a bit like the worlds biggest golf green.

JQ66C6P.jpg

4YRBwUC.jpg

kYO081S.jpg

K4DpFJ4.jpg

That's really showing up some parts of the ground...

It wouldn't take that much to make the ground just look and feel better, simply just paint and then internally redo some toilets. I don't really think you need another stand that much, at least not immediately.

Do you mean the Sam Smorgon Scoreboards? The one affixed to the Heroes Stand is still working, the one in between the Legends and Pratt stands has been covered with an Ikon ad about 1.5x the size of the old scoreboard.

oh yes, i meant the sam smorgon boards

Herald Sun reported yesterday that "The growing popularity of AFLW is a key factor in the plan (to spend c.$1 billion on stadia improvements -my words), with the government (Vic. -my word) considering proposals to expand suburban grounds such as Richmond's Punt Rd Oval and Carlton's Ikon Park to cater for bigger crowds". No details given.

The AFLW & VFLW just keep on giving for AF!
No doubt Eddie will be in the offices of the government with his plans for a stadium for the Pies trying to convince the people that is in the best interests on the state

Remove this Banner Ad

Back