Return to Princes Park: MARCH 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Eh its issues aren't the lighting whatsoever and in my opinion they would have been pointless and we all would've said 'the stands were half terraces and ugly and old' instead. The lighting is average but so too are the toilets for pre-season games in the country. Who cares about it? A bunch of old pricks for the AFLW? It's not that important. The other thing is, local residents hate the lights being on (especially mid-week) and were even less happy with them in the 1990s and early and mid 2000s. Eh. It was doomed as soon as the insider politics started.

You can have light towers there though that produce minimal spillage onto surrounding parklands/residential areas. Several Australian stadiums already have light towers that do just that like the new SCG lights, but NIMBYs will still find a way to complain

The weird part is that expanding the stadium would have ZERO impact on any local residents, other than maybe noise. The whole area around is park/cricket grounds.

The NIMBYs around our hallowed turf really are of an extreme breed.

I’ve been to the two Carlton AFLW matches so far this season and I’m looking at getting into a corporate box. Anyone got any recommendations for what part of the ground I could sneak into?
I’m thinking the Heroes Stand inside the Triple M box since the Pratt Stand boxes are usually patrolled by club employees/security. What are you guys’ thoughts?

I've noticed on the telecast of tonight's pre-season match that 2 bays of seats in the Legends stand have been removed. I did notice a few years back some seats in that stand were trashed so would that be it or have Carlton moved those mentioned seats into storage

I've noticed on the telecast of tonight's pre-season match that 2 bays of seats in the Legends stand have been removed. I did notice a few years back some seats in that stand were trashed so would that be it or have Carlton moved those mentioned seats into storage
I’ve been to the women’s games and haven’t seen any missing. Where in the legends stand were they?

Correction, make that at least 3 bays of seats gone on the lower deck of the Legends stand

Not sure why Princes Park has so much negativity. From the lighting, to the design to how the toilets are. The reality is it is a 25K seat venue that should be hosting AFL games over grounds such as Mars Stadium, Manuka Oval, TIO Stadium, Cazaly's Stadium etc who all a much smaller capacity. Most of these "AFL" venues which we never question for some strange reason don't even have seating all the way round and just grass to sit on.

At leased Princes Park has got some sort of structure circulated all around the ground giving people the chance to sit in the comfort.

Not sure why Princes Park has so much negativity. From the lighting, to the design to how the toilets are. The reality is it is a 25K seat venue that should be hosting AFL games over grounds such as Mars Stadium, Manuka Oval, TIO Stadium, Cazaly's Stadium etc who all a much smaller capacity. Most of these "AFL" venues which we never question for some strange reason don't even have seating all the way round and just grass to sit on.

At leased Princes Park has got some sort of structure circulated all around the ground giving people the chance to sit in the comfort.
Carlton killed it as a third option thanks to the way elliott gouged clubs who played there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost all of the seats at the bottom of the Gardiner Stand were ripped out even before a scratchie in about 2013.

It's a shame any substantial redevelopment (outside of tidying up, replacing seats, replacing old toilets, painting and cladding exteriors) will either be at the Gardiner to house TV and better change rooms or else it'll be the task of putting stands at the tram end. One or the other.

s**t hole, no parking.
Who drives to the footy anyway? There's a tram direct from Flinders St. 14 or 15 stops and you're at Princes Park and not many people get off the footy tram when footy is on, so it usually doesn't stop at every stop either.

Who drives to the footy anyway? There's a tram direct from Flinders St. 14 or 15 stops and you're at Princes Park and not many people get off the footy tram when footy is on, so it usually doesn't stop at every stop either.

people in the country and people who dont live near train lines

not everyone is an inner city hipster w***er

people in the country and people who dont live near train lines

not everyone is an inner city hipster ******
In Melbourne, though, there's the MCG, served by Jolimont and Richmond stations and Etihad, served by Southern Cross Station. Both have tram links as well. So there's no point driving there. That's what I'm sort of getting at.

In Melbourne, though, there's the MCG, served by Jolimont and Richmond stations and Etihad, served by Southern Cross Station. Both have tram links as well. So there's no point driving there. That's what I'm sort of getting at.

It also has a big arse carpark in Yarra Park. When word goes out that Yarra Park is closed due to rain, attendances at the G do take a hit, which underlines how many people only go to footy via car.

I used to go to Princes Park as a kid, and as a RFC supporter from Frankston, I hated it.

I would get off at Flinder Street, and it was a maul to get on the tram to the game. and then you faced the same s**t to get on a tram to get home. So I say "* that" I'll drive in from now on. it was common for the princes park car park to be closed around 12, so that meant hitting the side streets and trying to find street parking. Once spent over an hour looking for a carpark for me and my dad. another year, at 12:30 rex announced if you havent got a carpark, go home because its not happening this week.

wasnt a huge issue for me because shortly after richmond stopped being fixtured for games there, but the joint was a bitch to get to if you had to come in by car and a decent crowd was rocking up

It also has a big arse carpark in Yarra Park. When word goes out that Yarra Park is closed due to rain, attendances at the G do take a hit, which underlines how many people only go to footy via car.

I used to go to Princes Park as a kid, and as a RFC supporter from Frankston, I hated it.

I would get off at Flinder Street, and it was a maul to get on the tram to the game. and then you faced the same s**t to get on a tram to get home. So I say "**** that" I'll drive in from now on. it was common for the princes park car park to be closed around 12, so that meant hitting the side streets and trying to find street parking. Once spent over an hour looking for a carpark for me and my dad. another year, at 12:30 rex announced if you havent got a carpark, go home because its not happening this week.

wasnt a huge issue for me because shortly after richmond stopped being fixtured for games there, but the joint was a bitch to get to if you had to come in by car and a decent crowd was rocking up
I've only ever been to PP for AFLW by train then tram, and VFL/TAC by car but I've never had a real issue on the trams. I have no idea what class of trams they had when you went, but now Route 19 is serviced by the trams with the most standing room of them all so it's gotten better. And if you're quick enough from Flinders St. you can get a seat on there.
Getting back to Flinders St. is a head * though

I've only ever been to PP for AFLW by train then tram, and VFL/TAC by car but I've never had a real issue on the trams. I have no idea what class of trams they had when you went, but now Route 19 is serviced by the trams with the most standing room of them all so it's gotten better. And if you're quick enough from Flinders St. you can get a seat on there.
Getting back to Flinders St. is a head **** though
Or alternatively you can walk 10-15 minutes to the train (can’t remember the stations name, Jewel?). I also believe the new metro station will be about a 15 minute walk from PP so that’d be another option. As well as buses within walking distance.

Getting back to Flinders St. is a head **** though
Getting back after the Round 1 game was shocking, no trains on the Upfield line, no special busses waiting out the front and the wait for a tram was like half an hour.

Getting back after the Round 1 game was shocking, no trains on the Upfield line, no special busses waiting out the front and the wait for a tram was like half an hour.
Yeah round 1 was nightmare. I didnt know there were no Upfield trains, thats deplorable. Royal Park is the main station for PP, so i dont get why they didnt have it open. I was lucky and caught a bus to Melbourne Central because the tram was full.

Yeah round 1 was nightmare. I didnt know there were no Upfield trains, thats deplorable. Royal Park is the main station for PP, so i dont get why they didnt have it open. I was lucky and caught a bus to Melbourne Central because the tram was full.
Upfield line had bus replacements due to works, that was originally my plan to get home. I managed to get on the first tram that arrived.

That's the other part of the problem, PT to PP isn't much good either.

1 tram line at the doorstep just can't cover that many people, and people don't wan to walk far enough to get to the train/other tram lines.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back