PS5 Returnal

Remove this Banner Ad

Played it for the first time last night. Died first time which felt like a necessity. From then smashed it all the way up to the first boss which killed me with about an inch of life left. Played for another 2 hours and couldn't get past him and turned it off knowing I'll have to start completely afresh next time I play. Pretty *en annoying.

Once I got to the second biome my average run time went down. I'm guessing because by then I know what I'm doing and what to look for. The first biome is also somewhat tutorial so I think that's why some runs take hours because everyone is just finding their feet. Looking back they were pointless runs because so little is unlocked that most of the areas and exploration was pointless.

I also prefer the first biome over the second. The first feels more mysterious.

I'm very bad at this game. 15 ish hours. Made it to first boss once. I only just got my sword an hour or two ago :eek:

I'm pretty bad too, I needed an astronaut figurine to finish him off. I kept getting to the final phase but just couldn't seal the deal. Then I had a dream run where I got a level 3 carbine, astronaut figurine, a handy parasite or two and a consumable that converted obolites to health.

I'm getting better though. I was probably playing too conservatively initially and it wasn't until I got into the mindset that it's really an arcade game and to be more aggressive did I start getting a bit better. There is one enemy in the first biome that was giving me the shits. I don't know what it's called but it makes me think of a tree. It teleports around and shoots something out that hinders your movement and it has some annoying s**t it shoots that tracks you. I found even if I got out of line of sight it could still hit me with its projectiles. Then I found out if I got up in its face it couldn't hit me so now I just sprint up to them and shoot/melee them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently thinking about adding a save and quit function. If so will repurchase down the track.

Doubt they will. It goes against the games' design and the genre. The developers do need to fix the bugs that cause crashes / the players to restart cycles tho'

I'm pretty bad too, I needed an astronaut figurine to finish him off. I kept getting to the final phase but just couldn't seal the deal. Then I had a dream run where I got a level 3 carbine, astronaut figurine, a handy parasite or two and a consumable that converted obolites to health.

I'm getting better though. I was probably playing too conservatively initially and it wasn't until I got into the mindset that it's really an arcade game and to be more aggressive did I start getting a bit better. There is one enemy in the first biome that was giving me the shits. I don't know what it's called but it makes me think of a tree. It teleports around and shoots something out that hinders your movement and it has some annoying sh*t it shoots that tracks you. I found even if I got out of line of sight it could still hit me with its projectiles. Then I found out if I got up in its face it couldn't hit me so now I just sprint up to them and shoot/melee them.

Don't forget to melee to stagger and then finish them off with your gun, if you kill using the blade enemies don't drop obolites.

Doubt they will. It goes against the games' design and the genre. The developers do need to fix the bugs that cause crashes / the players to restart cycles tho'

Apparently having the option to stick with the original or the save/quit is also a possibilty. And I wouldn't be so sure, there's already been a lot of people put off by this (including me), so if there's significant dollars to be made by the change they will definitely consider it.

Think it's intentional. Melee 1 shots a lot of the weaker mobs in this game, not just in the first area either. Would be easy dashing every and stacking adrenaline + gaining obolites if you melee it all. Melee animation also has invincible frames on it like your dash.

A lot of them do have in run saves though. Hades did and their runs are more like 30 minutes long. In order to power up if you are bad at it like I am, runs take a long time and it sucks to not want to play it with only a spare hour up my sleeve.

My only way to play is after everyone goes to bed, I'm going to have to pull an all nighter to get it done.

Loving the game though, just think they could offer convenience without changing their vision.

I also think difficulty levels would work if they only controlled the ether drops, health and other consumables. It would be very easy to implement these days and you could hide it in the settings menu under cheating to make to more accessible. Maybe it unlocks after 10 hours stuck on 1 biome.

I'm getting better though. I was probably playing too conservatively initially and it wasn't until I got into the mindset that it's really an arcade game and to be more aggressive did I start getting a bit better. There is one enemy in the first biome that was giving me the shits. I don't know what it's called but it makes me think of a tree. It teleports around and shoots something out that hinders your movement and it has some annoying sh*t it shoots that tracks you. I found even if I got out of line of sight it could still hit me with its projectiles. Then I found out if I got up in its face it couldn't hit me so now I just sprint up to them and shoot/melee them.
* that guy

That astronaut just staring at you is creepy.

I haven't experienced it myself, but apparently while you're exploring places you can look up / around the area and he'll regularly appear somewhere looking down at you. I never knew astronauts could be scary lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back