Delisted Reuben William (2015-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was disappointed that they didn't draft him at pick 47, obviously they saw skinner as a better prospect ... delighted that they were able to take him in the rookie draft, let's hope he continues to develop nicely.

A snap of Reuben from my 2015 U18 Championship files.
sVORGBu.jpg

Checking In With Our Draftees

Reuben William: Slowly building fitness base after a groin injury pushed the start of his pre-season back. Has a great attitude, shown by completing a voluntary session at the club on his 18th birthday over the Christmas break. Will join in with skills this week.

Reserves Wrap: V Redland

Reub’s smash in and tackle pressure was his big focus and area of strength which he wants to really build on his game. He kicked two opportunists goals which is his role. He’s been working on his patterns when in general play as a high forward. That’s his area of improvement going into next week’s game. What he’s doing as a high forward when he’s up the ground and his ability to get back has him certainly putting pressure on the high forwards in the 1’s. He’s an exciting talent.

I like the idea of him playing as a HFF, we really have a lack of that type of player on the list.

We have seen with Mayes that if you ate going to play as flanker these days you need to be able to forward and back...and if good enough the middle.

I don't know if he has the skills to make it but he does seem to gave the right attitude and intangibles.

Seriously every time I see the kids name I get hungry, does anyone know if he has been given a sandwich related nickname yet?

I have heard from those who know the family that he is really determined to make it in footy and sees this as the best opportunity to make something of his life. Expect Reuben to be really developing over the next couple of years both as a player and as a young man. He is spoken very highly of among those that know the family well.

A bit of talent in one of his younger brothers too apparently.

Reserves Wrap - Aspley Hornets - 23/04/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Reub played more as a high forward this week. He probably would have been playing a bit more as a fifth but with the help of Keaysey we had Reuben playing more as a forward rather than come up through midfield. He had the 10 touches, again impacted the scoreboard really well. He kicked 1.1 but could have kicked more. We’re focusing with Reuben on his smash in, getting ground balls inside forward 50, his inside 50 possessions which he was able to complete. He didn’t get his 6 tackles, he only had 3 for the day but we’ve certainly seen more impact forward of centre from Reuben at the moment. He’s still got to work on his patterns when we have the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not too sure about him playing as a forward. Would prefer him breaking the lines off half back like he did in the under 18 chanpionship.

Reserves is about development so playing him forward will help add strings to his bow in any case.

He's got a lot of developing to get to be an AFL standard back flanker. Could be doing that down back in the reserves.

His disposal would probably be the issue playing down back but his speed separates him from our other small backs. He also seems to read the play quite well.

Reserves Wrap - Sydney Swans - 01/04/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Not a great day for Reub. He hit the scoreboard in the first quarter which was good for him, it’s been one of his goals to have an inside-50 impact. He only had it the seven times and the three tackles we’re asking for a bit more of an input from Reuben in this area. Probably what hurt him on the day was a bit of fumbling, he’ll need to do a bit more work on that in the coming weeks.

A few random observations from watching this kid play some reserve games. He has really clean hands. It is one of his biggest strengths. He doesn't fumble much. I'd just like to see his decision making with ball in hand improve. His disposal isn't too bad but his decision making at times isn't so flash. I'd also like to see him try and take the game on a little more and really use his pace to his advantage.

All in all he has a long way too go but I see a lot of potential in young Reuben and I think he has some really positive traits that will transfer over too AFL level well.

Reserves Wrap - Sydney Uni - 14/05/16 (Shane Woewodin's comments)

A new role this week – we pushed him down back. He gave us a lot of ping off half back, particularly early in the game but probably faded away as the game wore on due to fatigue. He was certainly lively there for us with ball in hand and gave us a lot of run off half back and created a lot of opportunities for us. It’s something for him to continue to work on and find the balance of what he does defensively as well.

I am so happy to see Reuben is making his debut this weekend! His life journey is a terrific story and it is a credit to him for making it to where he is now. Seems like a great kid and he will hopefully be a great long term player for us so this weekend will hopefully be the first of many quality games for William in Lions colours!!!

Lions rookie Reuben William to debut against Suns

BRISBANE Lions rookie Reuben William will make his debut on Saturday against Gold Coast.

William, 18, is of South Sudanese origin and was taken by the Lions in last year's NAB Rookie Draft at pick no.20.

The running defender has spent the season in the NEAFL and was upgraded to the senior list in place of injured star Dayne Beams.

He is a product of the Lions Academy and is quick, evasive, loves to take the game on and is a strong tackler.

William was part of Queensland's successful under-18 team last year and was given the news of his debut by Lions captain Tom Rockliff on Thursday.

"I really don't know what to say. I wasn't really expecting this so it's caught me a bit off guard," he said.

"I'll go out there and put on the jumper with pride."

I am so happy to see Reuben is making his debut this weekend! His life journey is a terrific story and it is a credit to him for making it to where he is now. Seems like a great kid and he will hopefully be a great long term player for us so this weekend will hopefully be the first of many quality games for William in Lions colours!!!
His Mum should be number one member..unbelievable and so brave .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back