Autopsy Reverse streak v dees. Continues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheezle is the only guy who played for us tonight that would make Melbourne's best 22. Maybe Simpkin too.
We are so far off, it's depressing.

Sheezle is the only guy who played for us tonight that would make Melbourne's best 22. Maybe Simpkin too.
We are so far off, it's depressing.
Don’t get sucked in too much by the Melbourne list. They have their shittrucks too that look ok because they are amongst good players in an organised system.

They had Josh Schache play tonight, enough said.

Don’t get sucked in too much by the Melbourne list. They have their shittrucks too that look ok because they are amongst good players in an organised system.

They had Josh Schache play tonight, enough said.
Shache isn't in Melbourne's Best 22... and neither would be anyone who played for North tonight, except Sheezle and maybe Simpkin.

Honestly, did any Melbourne player actually comfort Charlie on his way out? Because if they didn't that pretty much shows how much respect they have for us.
Iirc am pretty sure a few of them got over to him. Lever, Gawn for sure.

I reckon on 1-2-3..5 zillion occasions, we simply broke down when trying to move through the Melbourne press. It's actually not overly difficult to expose Melbourne. They only really attempt to force you to kick long hoping their very well drilled back 6 get onto it to slingshot. Once they do, their runners absolutely bolt forward to create a chain and they score. It's the blueprint that won them the flag. (Other than getting on top in clearances)

The other issue for us is clearances. We still just bang it on the boot instead of methodically lowering the eyes and getting a mark inside 50. I would've initially thought this was due to the forward structure but it's also a mindset thing. If we're so freaking mentally fragile that it takes a few goals kicked against us to go into our shell and just hack kick in panic, why bother winning the ball? This isn't just because LDU is out or running at 80%, we need to be more careful about how we're moving the ball forward. We were just so careless and rushed, not thinking and lacking awareness. I would've thought losing two talls meant we were forced into being more careful and purposeful but apparently not. We're a team that still thinks of ways to make things harder. We're lazy to find the correct way of doing things and don't want to work it that way. It's all in the mindset of this group and there's just so many fragile players showing their true colours unfortunately.

Hack kicks against Melbourne is literally throwing the game away. Other clubs can hold on against them and make them reactive. We got taught yet another harsh lesson in decision making and disposal. It was really the reason Melbourne got so far ahead. Our turnovers are dreadful.

Tonight there were also a lot of watching our man instead of the ball. It was just so sad witnessing our defenders just lose sight of the ball because they were so worried about their man getting separation or dangerous. We've lost confidence in just getting to the right spot and taking a very straightforward intercept mark. It's not even about tactics but basic footballer instinct. It reminded me of what happened against Port in 2019 when Brown kicked 10. He kicked 10 because we forced Port to be extremely reactive (whilst controlling the ball, contested possession and clearances) and limited their rebound 50s. Their backline was so worried about their man getting loose it compounded the bleeding.

We're now on the receiving end of those sorts of games. Repetitively. For those that wanna hear if this will change, it won't change anytime soon.

There is a simple reason why Sheezel is better than 95% of the list after 7 games and that is because he is a proactive footballer, while most of the other clowns are reactive. People call it footy IQ, but in simple terms he doesn’t wait to see what is going to happen, he makes a decision and goes.

At the speed of the AFL if you are waiting to see what happens then you are already cooked.
Its worth pointing out that after 7 games its obvious Sheezel will be better than 95% of the comp some time in the next 12 months.

I'm not disagreeing with the rest of what you're saying but he is freakily good.

Sheezel is so good it's a shock to me when I see a North jumper do something a footballer should do.

He does the basics extremely well to get his teammates involved, but he is being held back by a lot of the team currently. I don't like that at all. Get more kids in so they can flourish together. Older bodies aren't really helping at all anyway. It's actually the opposite.

If we're going to take advantage of how elite Sheezel is already, put blokes around him with the ability to take full advantage. If that means play the kids, play the kids. Bergs and Goater (when he recovers from a hammy injury) should get more time back there.

We're in a period where our elite-talent pool is skewed towards the very edge of our least-experienced players because the crop in the middle and on the other side just aren't good enough.

Usually when guys like Wardlaw and Sheezel are drafted, it's preferable that they slowly come into the AFL team. We seem to be sweating on getting Wardlaw in because our team is screaming for young mids with ability. Cunners wouldn't look so flustered and under pressure if he had half decent mids around him at every occasion.

Whilst I am talking about Cunners, who does he have that can receive and run? Sleevo? He sometimes plays forward and doesn't always get midfield time. Hall? lol. Jy? Can't do it every time. LDU? Injured and he's more effective winning it on his own and going full Judd. Sheezel? Already using him at HB. Anyone?

See the issue? Cunner's impact is based on who is around him. If he's forced to do too much with too few to work with, what hope does he got? That's probably why we've noticed a dip here and there. It's not just him, it's the players around him that are vastly different to who he was feeding when we last made finals. I seem to recall just how easy it was for Cunners to dispose of the ball because literally every player behind him ran like madmen to get the handball receive and run forward.

The mix is all wrong at the moment because there's just not enough young talent. Simply nowhere near it. These older guys that don't have elite traits will continue to play because of it. So s**t I know, but what can we do? We've been 'yay we got this guy from this club that got rid of him because he had that one good season' sort of club not realising the ******* mess we were creating. * the absolute horrendous top ups and shortcuts this club took to 'appease' us. I hope it has hit now. Never again.

And when we don't have a proper development structure for players that did have the bells and whistles but became plodders instead, that tells me one thing. Is Gavin Brown on thin ice?

The footy department wasn't priority until Clarkson came. It took 24 years.

The footy department wasn't priority until Clarkson came. It took 24 years.

Yep and the footy dept includes development. This is the first year said dept has been afforded the resources it’s lacked for many years and the results will take time unfortunately. Brown’s been crying out for additional help and a stronger VFL program for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know we're all a bit flat but I don't get the I can't watch or give up on the team attitude. We won 2 games last year, I think we'll get more this year.
We lost to a very good team who beat the Dogs by 50. We are a long way off those top 6 sides.
Shiels, Logue, Goldy, Cunners and Ziebs are really the only senior players who put in solid effort. McKay was a bit better tonight.
Zurhaar has been a positive with his midfield time. Sheez plays at such intensity I hope he doesn't lose it and it rubs off on others.
Might be hard to get the confidence of the group back. I feel like they need us supporting them rather than potting them every week.
Ideally that Bonar, Lazzaro, Spicer, Ford, Edwards and Perez group grab a spot before we're reliant on that Bergman, Goater, Harvey, Archer, Drury, Wardlaw and George group but we might not have much choice as they might be more likely AFL standard.
Just drill the gameplan into the group. Play the young kids who are ready. Hope we actually hit on a talent through MSD for a change.

Endured most of that match only to have the wife hit me with an "I'm too tired" IYKYK.

WORST NIGHT EVER.

As if you were in the mood after that atrocity of a game.

Well, 5dg C, cup of tea, think the is sun trying to peek through the clouds.

Who had trouble sleeping ? C'mon, hands up.

Eagles ? All the money in the world, billion $ stadium, recent flag, still some p'ship players, beaten by Carlton on home turf by over 100 points.
My one and only small comfort.
Spoon is their's or ours. Be some draft wheeling and dealing happening September.

Dees my flag pick pre-season with their best side on the park.

Pros:
  • There are now no good reasons to not make Sheezel captain next year
  • If Drury and Bergman don't come in next week, we know we're tanking for Harley Reid
  • Jack Ziebell deserves a contract extension.
JZ might win his first B&F this year.

On SM-F936B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I normally talk up our ability to fight through while losing heavily this year, but Melbourne started coasting and were off a 5 day break. Eye test says a lot of blokes left the field with gas in the tank.
They were laughing and smiling with each other all game. They were taking the actual piss.

I'm nervous about this port game in a couple weeks. After all the s**t talking and hate thrown at JHF. They may just come out and beat us by 100.
We will get absolutely s**t on by sides over the next month and a half. It won't be pretty and our percentage will be sub 50. The irrelevance will continue as the media won't be trying to sack the coach. Nobody but we fools will care and that number is dropping by the week.

We're in a period where our elite-talent pool is skewed towards the very edge of our least-experienced players because the crop in the middle and on the other side just aren't good enough.

Usually when guys like Wardlaw and Sheezel are drafted, it's preferable that they slowly come into the AFL team. We seem to be sweating on getting Wardlaw in because our team is screaming for young mids with ability. Cunners wouldn't look so flustered and under pressure if he had half decent mids around him at every occasion.

Whilst I am talking about Cunners, who does he have that can receive and run? Sleevo? He sometimes plays forward and doesn't always get midfield time. Hall? lol. Jy? Can't do it every time. LDU? Injured and he's more effective winning it on his own and going full Judd. Sheezel? Already using him at HB. Anyone?

See the issue? Cunner's impact is based on who is around him. If he's forced to do too much with too few to work with, what hope does he got? That's probably why we've noticed a dip here and there. It's not just him, it's the players around him that are vastly different to who he was feeding when we last made finals. I seem to recall just how easy it was for Cunners to dispose of the ball because literally every player behind him ran like madmen to get the handball receive and run forward.

The mix is all wrong at the moment because there's just not enough young talent. Simply nowhere near it. These older guys that don't have elite traits will continue to play because of it. So s*t I know, but what can we do? We've been 'yay we got this guy from this club that got rid of him because he had that one good season' sort of club not realising the ****** mess we were creating. * the absolute horrendous top ups and shortcuts this club took to 'appease' us. I hope it has hit now. Never again.
The other huge issue for us is not being able to attract real TALENT from other clubs. We only bring in, at best, C graders. That’s all we attract. Hopefully Clarko/Viney will have an edge over Joyce/Shaw/Noble in that department!!

This thread has the vibe of an obituary. For the sake of it I'm going to lay off the club with this one -

• Bloody Chom. Rotten luck, he deserves better.
  • Our best player was out, Simpkin is probably playing with a broken hand and three players were injured during the game. On a good night that spells trouble.
  • I thought we played better than last week against Queensland Franchise Team B despite it being a much tougher game.
  • I wasn't at the ground but on telly I thought Mackay was trying harder. Looks are deceiving?
  • If Corr stays in the team, Logue might as well be tried down front. At least he's not being thrown around like a rag doll.
  • Clarko has clearly got us playing a different gameplan and this is going to take a while. Is it the wrong plan? Maybe. Are we going to get a better coach anytime soon? No way.
  • I don't think many teams have travelled four out of six games, maybe that's a bigger factor than it appears. It wouldn't be helping that's for sure.

The saddest part of all this is that the first two games were fools gold. I really thought this year might be different and we were a chance of 10 - 14. GC though tore my guts out so tonight didn't sting as much as the scoreboard suggests. Who knows, maybe we'll string some wins together at some point and finish the year with a more positive trajectory than what we have now. Never say never.
We were 6 goals down in the first 10 minutes before Chom went down. The night was over in the first 5 minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back