Review Review - 2016/17 Drafting and Trading Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Really happy with this whole off season. Proactive, brutal where needed, addressed some needs, strategic in going for WA boys, created a strong underbelly of talls that we haven't had in years, and clearly will back our youth to make mistakes but grow together.

Looking forward to getting down to training when I'm home and seeing them getting kms into those legs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone on here claimed that they spoke to Ross this year - apparently he confides that 'our lack of height is killing us'.

Lies or not, this pretty much sums our draft this year.

We got the talls we both needed and wanted, and we still have a solid supply of midfielders following years of drafting that way - I've no doubt we'll be picking 5-6 of them next year.

I don't think I have ever been so satisfied come December.

Out : Pav ( retired ) DeBoer Mzungu Hannath Mayne Smith Morabito Silvagni and Barlow

In : Hamling, Kersten, BHill, Logue, Cox, Darcy, Ryan, Duman, Strnadica

We have addressed all our needs in the short term and long term. Added height and outside pace. Kicking skills have recieved a boost too with Ryan, BHill and Logue.

Would have liked another inside mid as Mundy is getting a bit on and there is doubt over Fyfe but cant have everything.

The only dark clouds on the horizon are Yarran, Johnno and Bennell. For some reason I am optomistic on Yarran, cautiously optomistic on Bennell and downright pessimistic on Johhno.

On the facts as stated above we have 9 outs replaced by 9 ins -BUT WHAT ABOUT MC CARTHY - so we have really had 10 ins.

Is this correct? Or am I missing something?

On the facts as stated above we have 9 outs replaced by 9 ins -BUT WHAT ABOUT MC CARTHY - so we have really had 10 ins.

Is this correct? Or am I missing something?
C.pearce replace by cam mac.

I don't think I have ever been so satisfied come December.

Out : Pav ( retired ) DeBoer Mzungu Hannath Mayne Smith Morabito Silvagni and Barlow

In : Hamling, Kersten, BHill, Logue, Cox, Darcy, Ryan, Duman, Strnadica

Forgot Irish in the OUTS left out McCarthy for the INS.

I am counting 7 talls out and 7 in. Counting Mayne as a tall.

I

Forgot Irish in the OUTS left out McCarthy for the INS.

I am counting 7 talls out and 7 in. Counting Mayne as a tall.

I

Look at the size of the guys coming in compared to those going out.

OUT - Pav 192, Mayne 188, Smith 194, SNOS 191, Mick B 191, Hannath 199, Mora 191, Hurley 196

IN - Hamling 194, Kersten 192, Logue 194, Cox 193, Darcy 202, Duman 192, Strnadica 201, Cam Mac 192

The new boys all seem to be strongly built - no lightweights.

It's like we decided that bigger is definitely better - I think we're gearing up to play a very robust brand of contested footy and I can't wait.

Someone on here claimed that they spoke to Ross this year - apparently he confides that 'our lack of height is killing us'.

Lies or not, this pretty much sums our draft this year.

We got the talls we both needed and wanted, and we still have a solid supply of midfielders following years of drafting that way - I've no doubt we'll be picking 5-6 of them next year.

No doubt it's the truth. Tabs and Ape would only have a handful of games between them now if we had a more balanced list over the last couple of years. Instead the poor bastards get thrown to the wolves and the team suffers as a consequence.

OUT - Pav 192, Mayne 188, Smith 194, SNOS 191, Mick B 191, Hannath 199, Mora 191, Hurley 196

IN - Hamling 194, Kersten 192, Logue 194, Cox 193, Darcy 202, Duman 192, Strnadica 201, Cam Mac 192

It's like we decided that bigger is definitely better - I think we're gearing up to play a very robust brand of contested footy and I can't wait.
Sure. And next year we potentially lose Sandilands, Griffin, Dawson and MJ.

I just don't see that the number of talls we have taken is in the least surprising, especially after last year's crop of small players.

Addressed some needs quite nicely.

It's good that we used a first round pick, I'd hate to rule out the mouthwatering prospects at the trade table next year (just in case).

The team cohesion will be a bit adrift for a while, as we will play so many new players. Would be our best draft for a long time for crystal ball gazing, wondering who makes it out of this lot, I'm hoping (and think it more than likely) that we will have a few long term players out of this draft.

Addressed some needs quite nicely.

It's good that we used a first round pick, I'd hate to rule out the mouthwatering prospects at the trade table next year (just in case).

The team cohesion will be a bit adrift for a while, as we will play so many new players. Would be our best draft for a long time for crystal ball gazing, wondering who makes it out of this lot, I'm hoping (and think it more than likely) that we will have a few long term players out of this draft.
Making it I would have griffen, cam mac, billy. With immediate impact.

Not disputing the proposition but the height numbers you have chosen for the new recruits is from the optimistic set; pretty sure it is more like:
Kersten - 190cm
Logue - 191cm
Cox - 192cm
Strnadica - 198cm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the end of the day, I for one am happy with the majority of the outs for this year (sans Barlow, still feel bad about that, such a top bloke too). Change is definitely what was needed for the club, and genuine competition for spots seems to be there for 2017. Personally I would like to see no Senior first 22 player from 2016 is 'guaranteed' to be first 22 in 2017 (unless your name is Nat Fyfe ;)) and for some of the usual escaped goats to be feeling the pressure. Probably not saying anything that everyone here doesn't already think, but yeah...

Why do you have question marks on Ryan? Most experts seemed to think he would go in the range of 20 -40. He averaged nearly ten intercepts and kicked the ball at over 86% efficiency last season. Seems like a wonderful pick to me. Slight concerns over his commitment while he was also working full time doesn't seem much of an issue to me. He attacks the ball in the air like Spurr and has the kicking skills of Duffield. How is their a question mark over him? Darcy, yep I agree there are question marks.

Reports are saying he is a bit of lad. Not sure what that means, but maybe it's code that he parties too much.

For me:

McCarthy: The trade got him for next to nothing and has already shown quite a bit considering how many games he's played. Few rumours of his activities outside footy but nothing to back them up. Wouldn't take too much for this to a be a win.

Hill: Touch overrated by many on here IMO. For me I see above average kicking skills not elite ones. Has the ability to go missing too. Having said that offers easily enough to be a safer bet than pick 23 and is better than many best 22 players. Probably a tick.

Hamling: Did a great job this season but with a lot of support. I don't think he's the gun full back tbh, but Alex Pearce is and Hamling has shown he can be afl standard, just not for very long. How good he looks next year may depend on the teams performance.

Kersten: Cheap option who's probably shown a bit more than what his value suggests. Fir whatever reason wasn't in Geelongs best 22. Looked impressive at times last year but still has a lot to work on. Good cheap trade. If he comes good it's a bonus.

Logue: Guy looks like a real all rounder in terms of where he can play. Challenge will be finding his best spot. Looks good overhead, skills are good enough and athletic traits are elite. Should be able to crack games next year.

Darcy: He's touch unfit for a draftee, there's no two ways around that. A couple of pre seasons should fix that. Looks like a good tap ruckman and tbh I thought he looked reasonably mobile given he's 5-10 kilos more than what he'll be after development.

Cox: A good value slider. Kicking looks like one of his weaknesses but like Logue looks athletic and can play multiple AFL positions. I'll be very interested to read training reports in the next few weeks to try and see where we'll try and play him.

Ryan: Mature aged and ready to go but still with a lot of development left. Looks a great kick and decent enough above his head. Will play games next year IMO and was exactly the sort of player we need. Questions about his attitude are all speculation.

Duman: At first I was like -another 190+ defender but I think the club sees him as a future mid. Looks to have a lot going for him but his slight frame will hold him back for now. Perfect rookie selection. If he bulks up he could be very good.

Strnadica: Sorry but this selection confuses me. Almost all his physical testing was very poor. Is almost ruck height so that may be something he can use to his advantage and he become a useful forward/ruck. Looks a good grab.

Grey and Deluca: I will always be critical of delisting and played only to re-rookie them. Having said that I was also critical of their delistings in the first place.

Overall very good but I'm not sure I like our rookie list. With 38 on the senior list I would've rather seen a mature aged mid to put pressure on best 22 mids for spots.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Overall very good but I'm not sure I like our rookie list. With 38 on the senior list I would've rather seen a mature aged mid to put pressure on best 22 mids for spots.

A good post. But on this point, if Bennell plays, we have an extra midfielder between him and Walters/Ballas. The recruitment of defenders may mean Sutcliffe/Sheridan can go to the midfield. So with our brand new spare Hill, that's a bit of experience you were looking for. We still have some Yoof to throw in to the mix as well.

A good post. But on this point, if Bennell plays, we have an extra midfielder between him and Walters/Ballas. The recruitment of defenders may mean Sutcliffe/Sheridan can go to the midfield. So with our brand new spare Hill, that's a bit of experience you were looking for. We still have some Yoof to throw in to the mix as well.

I did think about that but Balic and Suban are probably our only inside mids outside our best 22. I don't really fancy playing Suban ever so it's only really Balic. So two injuries we are in a little trouble. Outside mids we actually have covered rather well tbh.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

My mentality is effectively we have Balic and Bennell as recruits for this season also

Looking forward to the new dynamics and I have no doubt training and game day will have a very different feel about it

I for one hope fyfe gets the captain gig - yeah he may piss a few of the old timers off but his preparation and focus to deliver the absolute best of himself and others around him is exactly what we need this season and moving forward. He will set an expectation across the group exactly what Pav did for many years

Mundy, ballas, johno - yeah all good freo warriors but they will be gone in a year or two and we need a new baseline and that is fyfe

My mentality is effectively we have Balic and Bennell as recruits for this season also

Looking forward to the new dynamics and I have no doubt training and game day will have a very different feel about it

I for one hope fyfe gets the captain gig - yeah he may piss a few of the old timers off but his preparation and focus to deliver the absolute best of himself and others around him is exactly what we need this season and moving forward. He will set an expectation across the group exactly what Pav did for many years

Mundy, ballas, johno - yeah all good freo warriors but they will be gone in a year or two and we need a new baseline and that is fyfe

Might as well lump Fyfe in as well after missing most of the year.

5-6 Key position players...hard not too be happy!

borat_great_success.jpg

Without going thru the team in detail I think Peel may be a tad top heavy this year!!! Also lost Barlow, Muz, DeBoer from the latter year team so need to find some quality mids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back