No Oppo Supporters REVIEW - 2019 GF Defeat by a far better team on the day

Man so gutted :( just never looked on

What hurts more is the high that the March put me in. Man the crowds marching were amazing !!! So much orange

Its funny Cogs has been mentioned. I watched him closely at the end while Richmond were being presented their medals.

He walked one by one to the most devastated and hurting players and he did the same 4 things each time

1. Massive hug
2. A little shake of the shoulders make them look him in the eye.
3. Said something and made them listen
4. Another big hug

Ward and Davis will be there next year and both deserve a flag, but the future is with cogs as captain. Hand over the reigns

I'm sad it our boys will learn from. I have always hated this bloody saying. But it is so true...... You have to lose one to win one

Go giants 2020

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Aye, Cogs for captain asap, no slur on Cal or Phil, I just think it's time

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
Very disappointing. Not many positives to take from it - I thought tsrsnto and hopper looked lively at times. Few things didn't go our way. Excellent effort to make it to the last match, the experience will hopefully take hold. Well done by the fans there.
Cheers,
99cents

I know I don't qualify as one allowed to post here, but anyway.

Today was the first time I recall meeting a significant number of GWS supporters, and I just wanted to give credit where it was due. Before, during and after the game, they were a good bunch in all respects, and while I know it wont mean much in light of the match result being fresh, but they earned a lot of respect from me at least.

All the best for the future (except when playing Richmond, of course...)

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Tough day at the office but so proud of the players.

Richmond were really impressive today, I don’t think any team would have got near them.

Our lads toiled hard but the combination of white hot opposition and a torrid finals series with banged up players ultimately took its toll.

We were not overawed and looked comfortable early so we know we can mix it with them, I’m very confident we can turn it around next year.

More importantly we support a wonderful team with great players and an awesome supporter base and culture.

Keep your heads up, we’ve done really well and have an incredible future ahead of us 👍

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats

Today was the first time I recall meeting a significant number of GWS supporters, and I just wanted to give credit where it was due. Before, during and after the game, they were a good bunch in all respects, and while I know it wont mean much in light of the match result being fresh, but they earned a lot of respect from me at least.

Lot more giants fans there today than I anticipated. Exciting from that perspective. Well done Tigers. Played magnificently. Enjoy it!

How bad was Finlayson?
Really bad. The number of times a Giant would take a mark a kick away from him, he'd turn and jog away from the ball carrier. Wouldn't look to present, wouldn't even acknowledge that we had the ball. Wasn't the only one. Really didn't want to have the ball anywhere near him.

Not alone though - Corr thinks he can kick. Not sure where he got that idea. Same with him thinking he can take on a tackler. I remember him doing that a couple of years back but he seems to think he can do that every time. Was our worst IMO, giving away so many goals. Pushed Lynch to the ground in one contest (lucky not to give away a free kick) but did so in front of Davis, provided a shepherd for Riewoldt to mark.

Tomlinson is always about two seconds behind everyone else on the field. Needs to see who he's kicking to be open. Perfect footballer physically, but compare him to someone like Shaw who can wheel and sum up where to try to put it in less than a second. Tomlinson marks and does a slow jog back before looking for options which is a killer against a team like Richmond who get themselves in place so quickly.

Mumford was ineffective without being counterproductive.

Not sure which idiot left Richmond players on the deck TWICE when we had the ball in the middle of the ground but that was moronic.

When we stuck to our structures we held up ok. Once guys started thinking they needed to take the game on when we were within a goal in the second it just lead to turn overs and goals.

Not sure why some players still won't play for a stoppage. They'll force the ball out while surrounded by a bunch of the opposition and then we're ****ed. Tomlinson, Perryman, Daniels all examples. Take the ball to ground and then we can set up.

Watching other guys like de Boer and Kelly was like watching someone try to run through molasses. Have to assume their injuries or the layoff was still hampering them. Kelly hasn't been nearly as impressive since he's returned.

Was very disappointed that the hardness at the ball from the previous three games completely evaporated. We stopped bringing people to ground, instead just corralling ineffectively. The number of times we'd lose our feet in the contest and either Richmond would be back on theirs in seconds or staying up the whole time was uncountable, leaving as a man short immediately. Same with Richmond always having a player at the front of the contest.

Couldn't get worked up about the number of turnovers coming out of defensive 50 from players because it was on the heads of those upfield. They'd look up and it's three on one with no GWS player working to space. Terrible running.

Hope it burns and they bounce back, but this was the same bad Giants we saw plenty of times during the year when things don't go our way. Just a frustrating day.

Edit: noticed I didn't mention Davis. That's because I think he was fine. Riewoldt kicked five but one was Corr's fault, one was a joke of a dive, and another couple were just undefendable thanks to the s**t sandwich being served up further up the field. Far from our worst out there, probably not even in the bottom third of our players given the lack of effort by others. But he's going to cop the focus because it's easy (read lazy) analysis.

Last edited:
That’s on the coaching staff IMO, a player will always say they are good to go, wasn’t the reason we lost, we just didn’t turn up and got smacked up

I don't believe a player will always say they are good to go, Cogs all class and shown if your not ready a player can take ownership of the decision

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS

Thanks mate

I was super surprised by the Richmond fans during the day. I'm sitting at the airport and people are still just giving me a thumbs up and saying "Sorry mate you will be back". Even walking from the Match everyone was really nice.

However I am glad I didn't check out swan st as I hear that may have been a different story. Haha. But that wasn't the place for giants fans anyway

My hope is that the whole experience can change a few people's respect for the club and also get a few more through the giants stadium gates next year.

They will be back, and so will my family

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Tough day at the office but so proud of the players.

Richmond were really impressive today, I don’t think any team would have got near them.

Our lads toiled hard but the combination of white hot opposition and a torrid finals series with banged up players ultimately took its toll.

We were not overawed and looked comfortable early so we know we can mix it with them, I’m very confident we can turn it around next year.

More importantly we support a wonderful team with great players and an awesome supporter base and culture.

Keep your heads up, we’ve done really well and have an incredible future ahead of us
I think the key here is the three hard finals

That's why, apart from a few exceptions, you just really need to make top 4 to win it. Because It's tiring and hard work in the finals.

That is by no means an excuse, because Richmond were awesome yesterday, but next year we must make the 4

So proud, but guttered.

Going to the Sheedy Medal this week.

Credit to Tigers and after hearing the stories behind the scenes about after their last win what happened with Lids
I take my hat off too them for this

I think the key here is the three hard finals

That's why, apart from a few exceptions, you just really need to make top 4 to win it. Because It's tiring and hard work in the finals.

That is by no means an excuse, because Richmond were awesome yesterday, but next year we must make the 4

I think there is real issues still in the ruck especially if Mummy is retired, there is no back up to Jacobs unless they play Briggs from the get-go in the pre-season or they pull a rabbit out of the hat in the trade period.

There is a few more ruckman they could get to be a back up that have been delisted.

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
These are some of the many thousands of people I truly feel sorry for:

20190928_122848.jpg

WE showed up in unheard-of numbers, but the team didn't. And it really hurts.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
After a sobering night’s sleep, I have decided not to post about the game itself. You folks have summed things up quite well.
I’ve enjoyed the companionship of our posters all season so thanks everyone.
We do have great supporters and enjoyed a few discussions on the way out of the ground and home.
Hadn’t enjoyed GF weekend since living in Melb so that was great apart from that 3 hour anomaly.
I do want to mention Sam Slammer Taylor and also, that was our highest score ever in a GF. 16 other teams didn’t get there.

I was super surprised by the Richmond fans during the day. I'm sitting at the airport and people are still just giving me a thumbs up and saying "Sorry mate you will be back". Even walking from the Match everyone was really nice.
Got commiserations from Richmond supporters, "bad luck"s from neutrals who really wanted Richmond to lose, and a local GWS supporter who chatted to us for 15 minutes while we waited for dinner. Was fairly surprised too as a result (except from the neutrals).

Barlos Crathwaite

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Got commiserations from Richmond supporters, "bad luck"s from neutrals who really wanted Richmond to lose, and a local GWS supporter who chatted to us for 15 minutes while we waited for dinner. Was fairly surprised too as a result (except from the neutrals).
People tend to be a bit more humane in the flesh. The troll keyboard warriors here at BF aren't real footy fans and are only here to thrashw.ank over rarking people up. The general consensus is GWS have plenty to be proud about and will be back. Chin up mate

bossman111

Team Captain
Feb 18, 2008
Syd
AFL Club
GWS
Absolutely flat! So many panicked turnovers through the middle of the ground, Richmond pressure / perceived pressure too good.

Thoroughly enjoyed the experience and although really felt like we belonged for the most part. I thought we would feel much more like unwanted outsiders but Melbourne welcomed us well and was thrilled that we turned up in good numbers.

Have to say though, it was a puzzling season. We turned in 3/4 absolutely turgid performances like this one. Yet we still made it off the back of a couple of amazing victories. Surely you can’t win premierships like that. Something does need to change. I’m no expert but I wonder if there is something to the game style vs talent lens that is always put on our team.

Looking forward to next year with some of our younger boys pushing up into the 1s - Hately, Caldwell, Bobby & Tom Green. Hopefully see some of Briggs and Flynn + Sauce giving us a different look.

Interesting season and will always have the memories of those two epic finals wins!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Disappointing, i thought it would be close, even after the first quarter i thought we have a game here, you would hope that on reflection the players have a rough idea what is now needed and will be better for it.

Remains to be seen if they can make amends next year or the year after.

The club will come back bigger and better, it is the only option.

For mine though it does highlight a system, a flawed system IMO that places so much credence in one game, as i have suggested in other threads i think much more kudos should be given to the team finishing first on the ladder after the H&A season, you cant fluke that, but you can get lucky in one or two matches in a finals series.

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ricciardo#3, Sydney Thunder
I do feel desperately sorry for the team. The boys are gutted and that is as expected. I just hope they pull together tighter and don’t fracture. I’d like to see Ward and Davis swing behind Cogs for captain and for them to pick off any poison ruthlessly.

I don’t feel to disappointed in the result personally. It was such a sub-par year for us. We were inconsistent and did not build into the finals. Yet somehow we kept finding a way and willed ourselves to GF. Heroic effort and I can only feel proud of the club.

Being in Melbourne this last few years, I have missed not being around the greater Orange Army. From attending the Prelim through to attending the GF and all the gatherings in between, what an honour it is to be amongst such great people!

I will remember 2019 as a very special year! Go you mighty, might Giants!

Big Stinky Monk

All Australian
Aug 26, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
The emotional and physical toll of the past few weeks caught up with the boys. The petrol tanks looked empty pretty early.

We really need the consistency throughout the season next year to get a top 2 finish and cut the travel through the final weeks.

On the positives though, was great to see so much Orange around the MCG. At a minimum with tickets, travel and accom for those who stayed, the outlays would have been in the $000's for most ... thats no "passing interest" commitment. Hopefully silences some of the "no support" comments thrown at us. We will only grow from here ... the seeds are well and truly planted.

Looking forward to next year, barring any trade week surprises, we only look like losing Tomlinson from the best 22 ... and will get back Ward and Cogs, and another year of some big game experience into our young guns like Taranto, Hopper, Taylor and Himmelberg. Keep the last weekend in September free in your calendars for next year. We will be back.

Back