GWS
Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Is anyone going to the fan day ?

I won't be back in time. I feel a little sick in my gut that no one will turn up.

Especially with so many travelling back

To see so many fans yesterday to then see no one would really rub the salt in the wounds

Can I please take this opportunity to thank Michael our cheer squad leader. Does an amazing job and always has.

Was cheering hard and trying to start chants even with us down by 70 in a GF. Hats off to ya fella

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pretty devo for your players.

However so many of the great teams have been down before they came up.

Hawks lose 2011 prelim, 2012 flag. Those really hurt but no doubt they lead us to winning 2013, 2014 and 2015.

-I know this shouldn't be much of a factor considering how poorly you played, and the margin, but wow were you blokes getting absolutely screwed by the umpires. Never seen a more one sided umpiring display in a grand final. I feel like even if you blokes deserved to win, the green maggots would have cost you the game.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
3 little moments;
1) 1st. qSoldo grab outta the ruck and h.t.b. to most. Not paid.
Ball gets to Rioli 2 secs on the clock. Goal.
2) Himmelberg missed goal start of 2nd q
3) 2nd q. Taylor in front of Martin. Ball takes a leg break and bounces past him. Dusty gather. Goal.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
A few things- history doesn't always repeat, but it usually rhymes.

First the bad- Giants, in 50/50's, often got beaten to the ball in the GF, appeared not to gut run as hard, & looked slow. I suspect many sore bodies after preceding 3 gruelling Finals.

Perhaps the coaching team felt that Davis & Whitfield had to play, even if they were only 80% -which implies they had little confidence in the players 19-24 on the List to perform at the level required in a GF.

The H./Sun reported today that:-
. Davis had to do, & pass, a fitness test 90 minutes before the GF; & players knew about this, & weren't certain he would play (thus sowing doubts in their minds/"more nervousness").

. Davis "moved like a turtle" in the GF

. De Boer had an undisclosed injury also, & would normally not have been selected- but, again, had to play because it was the GF

. Kelly had hamstring soreness before the game.

How our vaunted midfield got embarassed by an AFL debutante, M. Pickett, from the WAFL/VFL, is a mystery. In the Club's public post mortem, I hope they address this. Some MSM journalists stated Pickett was almost BOG?!

Now the "good".

Since the move out of the Final 4 system in 1971 (to a Final 5 in 1972), it is EXTREMELY rare for a lower team (ie team placed 5th; then, progressively to a Final 8) to win a GF- only Adelaide 1997 & Footscray 2016, IIRC.

Even between 1897 -1971, very few teams have won the Premiership (including the very early Minor Premier Challenge system) who even finished fourth at the end of the H & A season.
(I am excluding WW1 & WW11, due to fewer teams playing, & compromised Lists, due to war service)

On a positive, the saying "You have to lose a GF first, before you can win one" is also supported by history since 1897. GF stage fright is a real phenomenon- nerves can destroy skills & confidence.
GWS had never been in a GF before, & was playing a side who had been- also, historically, crucial factors against GWS.
Given that many Giants are in their mid to late 20's, further improvement/"AF maturity" can be expected- & our 2 guns, Cogs & Ward, will return; &, hopefully, can recruit an experienced, good ruckman.

On a further positive, I was also surprised by the amount of orange around Melb. before the game, & at the game. I suspect many neutrals were backing the Giants in the GF . GWS has earned respect (despite their pitiful game).
The MSM has also reported that in Melb. pubs & private home GF parties, many people were wearing some orange attire.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Congratulations to making it to the Granny guys. You and us were probably fighting it out for who had the worst injury toll (would give it to you guys cause Ward is really influential in the middle). Respect your sides class in defeat. Really tip my hat to both Davis and Leon for the way they spoke to the media yesterday. Look forward to the rematch next year when COGS, Ward, Whitfield and Davis are all 100% fit.

Please move or delete if wrong time/place

Firstly kudos to your fans. Most stayed still stumps (unlike the neutrals) with few gaps forming in the orange bays as the game concluded. Considering that doesn't happen with the bigger established clubs more often than not, those who took the punch and stood by their team till the end I have a lot of respect for.

Secondly, the above matters because all clubs have scars like this (mine are carlton 1982), but it's how to deal with them that matters. You don't want to be a club like Brisbane or some of the Sydney NRL sides, where fans only rock up when the side is winning. Your fans from yesterday and the snow game will never forget those games, and will attend more and scream louder to make sure they never see that again, AND to be there when payback happens.

I look forward to seeing you bounce back, I just hope it's not against us. Your players will be tougher and stronger after this, and good luck to the side that has to face them

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Finally home.

A few things.

Giants fans are the best in the business. Loyal, caring and passionate.

While I met a few tiger well wishers we had a lot more who decided to carry on like pork chops between the end of the game and getting to Coopers Inn.(I love that place)

The boys were obviously gone from 3 week's of high impact tough footy.
Not only that but the bounce wasn't falling our way either which made things even worse.

Despite my outburst last night Davis wasn't the cause of this loss. I'm still stunned he would make himself fit when the club has promoted all week Cogs club above all else attitude, but can understand.
He will be back to his best next year though my gut says that Ward and Davis will not be Captains and the new breed will take over.

All in all and amazing season and the Grand Final Week and day is something I will never forget.

We will learn from this and grow as a club.
Bring on 2020.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
We got belted around the ball

We shut down their handball game in the first and dominated the state but couldn’t convert that into points. From the second however we let them have it on their terms

Unfortunately mummy can’t/ shouldn’t go around again. Tomlinson has shown that he is a good bloke but won’t be missed when he leaves. Agree we need some pace in next year. However I think we need to trade to get 28 year olds in to stay on top as well

Very disappointed the boys did not come over to the cheer squad after the game. Jezza was actually the only player who even acknowledged us with a wave

Just not good enough

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
We got belted around the ball

We shut down their handball game in the first and dominated the state but couldn’t convert that into points. From the second however we let them have it on their terms

Unfortunately mummy can’t/ shouldn’t go around again. Tomlinson has shown that he is a good bloke but won’t be missed when he leaves. Agree we need some pace in next year. However I think we need to trade to get 28 year olds in to stay on top as well

Very disappointed the boys did not come over to the cheer squad after the game. Jezza was actually the only player who even acknowledged us with a wave

Just not good enough
I mentioned this too

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Do you mean the not acknowledging the crowd? It’s not good enough... we spent thousands to be there... they put in that effort and just walk off? I was spewing
Yes sorry I was a bit vague haha.

I mentioned to the guy sitting next to me that jezza was the only one that even looked in our direction

However I guess unless we are in their boots we have no idea what was going through their minds

Listening to the interviews they seem very embarrassed

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
Do you mean the not acknowledging the crowd? It’s not good enough... we spent thousands to be there... they put in that effort and just walk off? I was spewing
I understand your point - the players were obviously gutted, so I give them a pass on that.

Firstly kudos to your fans. Most stayed still stumps (unlike the neutrals) with few gaps forming in the orange bays as the game concluded. Considering that doesn't happen with the bigger established clubs more often than not, those who took the punch and stood by their team till the end I have a lot of respect for.

Thinking about the average fan who would've gone down for this, most of us stayed until the end when they were getting beaten worse back in the first couple of years. Why leave now. :)

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Damian Barrett says, re P. Davis

"he might have been operating on only about 50% capacity, could only jump off one leg, and had no turning circle".
GWS knew about Davis' condition &, obviously, didn't lose because of P. Davis' injuries- but if true, it is extraordinary that Davis was selected.

They must have believed that L.Keefe, & the other possible defenders, were simply substandard to be played against Richmond's forwards- not much depth.

He also suggests that the indecision about Davis added to the players' "nervousness".

EDIT:

In H.Sun 30.9., P.Davis said his "body felt good" during the game, and he didn't blame his lingering issues for his form in the GF.

Also, reports that Whitfield was avoiding bumps, so was still sore.

Last edited:

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
We had a couple of arrogant Tiger DHs in the seats behind us for the whole game. 3 lines about Toby on repeat for the whole game.
Then after half time came the white cones, training drill, don’t deserve to be here, etc. some swearing which we had a go at them about, so that became how sensitive Giants fans were.
We ignored them after 3/4 time.
We got to the final but picked the worst day to play really badly.
This guy actually yelled out Go Tigers in the gaps during the national anthem, which everyone turned and stared at him.
Didn’t care. He kept on.
We left at the siren as the tigers fans starting swarming down the aisles.

Drove home today. Five in the car. Enjoyed seeing the friends that we stayed with.
To top it off, we are all fine, but we were the last car in a 10 car tail-ender on the Hume Highway. Got home after 7:30, I hit a 4WD with a trailer. Car was driveable, so at least we drove the last 80kms home.
Not a great weekend.
NEXT YEAR WE TAKE IT ALL!!!

Sep 28, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
YNWA
Been estranged for many years though

This. Nothing to do with Toby. Entire events of day strike as nothing more than a ***** trying to get his name back in the papers off his sons success

I know this is a Giants only thread but not trolling so bear with me.

Two observations from someone who is not the biggest fan of your club.

1 - The estimations were tickets ran 8-1. For the massive disparity in numbers, you lot made a huge amount of noise inside the ground. Incl once the game was well lost. Fans deserve huge credit. We didn’t have any Giants bays within cooee of us but could clearly hear you all day.

2 - If any of you were staying across the road from the London Tavern last night I applaud you. Group staying in one of the terraces had the balconies draped with orange and were partying singing the song etc long after game had finished. Just well played, given the scope of the result. Everyone loved it. I doubt many at my club would have been in the same partying spirits had result been other way.

The vibe you guys brought was brilliant.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS

From where I was sitting I saw a few players clapping and acknowledging the crowd. They were amazing at the after game function and stayed around and chatted to everyone.

I’m disappointed for you guys as it’s definitely a big effort to go all the way down and is expensive but I reckon it’s really just the magnitude of the occasion, everyone was in a bit of shock at the degree of the loss and they probably just wanted to disappear as quickly as possible. No matter how cut we are they are ten times more upset.

Keep your head up, they will learn from this and grow again. Each year they get better and I’m very confident we can make the required improvement to make the next step.

I was just staggered by the amount of orange in the crowd - we practically owned the Ponsford Stand - but probably not surprised given the huge number of people at the march.

Those who dismiss us as plastics etc don't have a clue.
Sorry to intrude. I was at the game and was actually very surprised by the amount of orange in the crowd. GWS are doing something very right for as a club only in existence for 8 years. Your member numbers are good and far exceed what I thought you could achieve at this stage.

Those that call you the plastics are ignorant and can't see that GWS supporters are just as passionate as we are. The disappointment I saw after the game on the faces of those in orange convinced me that you will become a strong entity going forward. Good luck...I am now a believer in the inclusion of GWS in the AFL.

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
We had a couple of arrogant Tiger DHs in the seats behind us for the whole game. 3 lines about Toby on repeat for the whole game.
Then after half time came the white cones, training drill, don’t deserve to be here, etc. some swearing which we had a go at them about, so that became how sensitive Giants fans were.
We ignored them after 3/4 time.
We got to the final but picked the worst day to play really badly.
This guy actually yelled out Go Tigers in the gaps during the national anthem, which everyone turned and stared at him.
Didn’t care. He kept on.
We left at the siren as the tigers fans starting swarming down the aisles.

Drove home today. Five in the car. Enjoyed seeing the friends that we stayed with.
To top it off, we are all fine, but we were the last car in a 10 car tail-ender on the Hume Highway. Got home after 7:30, I hit a 4WD with a trailer. Car was driveable, so at least we drove the last 80kms home.
Not a great weekend.
NEXT YEAR WE TAKE IT ALL!!!
Oh no !!

Glad you are ok though

s**t, we saw that on our way back in when you were all pulled up on the side. :( Hope all you guys are fine.

Back