No Oppo Supporters REVIEW - 2019 GF Defeat by a far better team on the day

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
We had a couple of arrogant Tiger DHs in the seats behind us for the whole game. 3 lines about Toby on repeat for the whole game.
Then after half time came the white cones, training drill, don’t deserve to be here, etc. some swearing which we had a go at them about, so that became how sensitive Giants fans were.
We ignored them after 3/4 time.
We got to the final but picked the worst day to play really badly.
This guy actually yelled out Go Tigers in the gaps during the national anthem, which everyone turned and stared at him.
Didn’t care. He kept on.
We left at the siren as the tigers fans starting swarming down the aisles.

Drove home today. Five in the car. Enjoyed seeing the friends that we stayed with.
To top it off, we are all fine, but we were the last car in a 10 car tail-ender on the Hume Highway. Got home after 7:30, I hit a 4WD with a trailer. Car was driveable, so at least we drove the last 80kms home.
Not a great weekend.
NEXT YEAR WE TAKE IT ALL!!!

Bloody hell mate. Glad you're all ok.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Do you mean the not acknowledging the crowd? It’s not good enough... we spent thousands to be there... they put in that effort and just walk off? I was spewing
I'd also include Kenners. He didn't wave, but gave a long look over our way.

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
Back at:poo: work...

the dream is over, for now.
A great month of football only partly spoiled by the last three quarters.
The worst thing is they seemed to settle into the game well late in the first quarter.
The free kick to cotchin to release them from the back line, the the dropped ball which led to the goal on the siren by rioli. Bad luck.

Followed by a flop from jack to draw a freebie...

Two things can happen now- implosion, a la the crows, or redemption.
:gws::gws::gws:

Junction Lion

Debutant
Aug 23, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Back in Sydney and time to reflect.

Footywise, tough day. From Q2 onwards looked pretty spent. 3 big games leading up to GF took its toll on a team playing in its first GF.

Fan wise, absolutely sensational. Yes, I am a Lions (ex Fitzroy) fan but foundation member of the Giants and was absolutely gobsmacked at the sea of orange at Parliament House. Great pre match at the Imperial to kick us off and the match to the G was sensational. We are a passionate group of supporters and this is just the beginning. Dave Matthews is predicting we will increase membership by 10,000 due to our finals campaign an GF appearance. We are the real deal. This is just the beginning.
Bring on 2020.

Loomer

??
Sep 22, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Respect to your fans who stayed until the end. Two gruelling finals, carrying underdone players and a rampant Richmond at the MCG was just a bridge too far. I would not feel disheartened. All sides endure some form of heartache before they achieve the ultimate success. We had 37 years of it. You’ll be contending again next season and will no doubt be better for the experience. Good luck for next season.

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
two things which surprise me over the finals,
Luke Beveridge and Nathan Buckley.

Talking to Whateley on SEN, Buckley was asked to comment on the Greene video of a hand near Lachie Neale's face.
One frame still on the video, Buckley called the 'money shot'. Why is Buckley commenting on something whereby the outcome could be affected by his words, to the advantage of his team.

On Front Bar, Beveridge, at no prompting from the 3 regulars, said GWS used MMA tactics instead of football to progress in finals. What bad grace allows a coach of an opposition team to bag a rival openly, and it being Melbourne, there was no comeback. Just a free hit on primetime against an out of Vic club.

My estimation of Buckley hasn't increased after that, my estimation of Beveridge has lowered.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
two things which surprise me over the finals,
Luke Beveridge and Nathan Buckley.

Talking to Whateley on SEN, Buckley was asked to comment on the Greene video of a hand near Lachie Neale's face.
One frame still on the video, Buckley called the 'money shot'. Why is Buckley commenting on something whereby the outcome could be affected by his words, to the advantage of his team.

On Front Bar, Beveridge, at no prompting from the 3 regulars, said GWS used MMA tactics instead of football to progress in finals. What bad grace allows a coach of an opposition team to bag a rival openly, and it being Melbourne, there was no comeback. Just a free hit on primetime against an out of Vic club.

My estimation of Buckley hasn't increased after that, my estimation of Beveridge has lowered.
I heard Beverage too.
He even said he would like to get Leon C in a room for some MMA too, right? Pretty sure I heard that.
Social media did take him down for that. I couldn’t believe a professional person would carry on like that. You’re right, though, the panel either misheard (3 sets of ears), or chose to let it go.
I’ve also heard it said that with all the scrutiny for performance placed on Woosha and the Bombers, where is the same scrutiny on Bev and the Bulldogs? They both made the 8.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Bevo is a sook. His team were all about going hard, until the Giants bitch slapped them. Now they run the poor me attitude.

Whiney little bitches. Suits them.

Pies of course are one of the most corrupt sides in the game with Media deal Eddie in charge and Bucks is his boy.

Wouldn't care about anything those 2 have to say.

Last edited:

cowgirl_99

Senior List
Jun 13, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney
Last weeks game seems like ages ago..my opinion hasn't changed on loss & reasons etc....bloody well done Giants fans (Glen & the gang So cool to say g'day in the race prior to the game)..seriously you guys were tremendous ..you did your job...love the dedication..here are some pics..take care everyone enjoy the break! enjoy the pics..my fave? Kennas walking out up the race what footballers dream of doing...

FPP4.jpg

FPP5.jpg

FPP2.jpg

FPP3.jpg

FPP.jpg

FPP1.jpg

FPP7.jpg

FPP6.jpg

Hi guys and gals.
I know it says no oppo supporters but a few have commented and I'd like to have my say.
Mods, if not appropriate, please delete.
I have been to EVERY GWS-Richmond game. In Melbourne, SYdney and Canberra. Every one of them.
This year at the Showgrounds I noticed a huge shift in crowd support.
Huge.
People had membership lanyards around their necks. They were vocal and passionate and even a bit hostile (love it).
Not that they weren't before, but more so this time around.
Plus Jez and the team gave us a schooling.
I left the ground absolutely convinced GWS was a legitimate force in the competition and will continue to grow.
There is room for Parramatta, Penrith, Wests Tigers Western SYdney Wanderers and GWS. I'm 100% convinced of this.
I was there on preliminary final day 2017. I actually had a laugh at how lop sided the crowd was. I'll admit it.
Fast forward to 2019 GF and I was amazed at the support your club had. And happy.
Commiserations on the loss. I know that means two-thirds of * all, but not only are the Giants relevant in the competition, they are a key component of it.
May your journey in the AFL be long, proud and fruitful.
If you guys play in a GF against anyone other than Richmond, I will be barracking for GWS.
Peace out.

PS: to those who experienced an unpleasant experience from RIchmond supporters on GF day, may I apologise to you on behalf of our club. You didn't deserve to experience that and I am sorry you had to go through it.

PPS: There's a local lad from my area, Connor Idun, on your list and played a game this year. Look after him for us. He is loving it at GWS.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Hi G's,

It's been a month, and thought I'd drop in and say well done on a great season. While it didn't turn out the way you would have liked, I reckon this September will be a watershed moment for your team and the club.

This year the Giants reminded me of a young Eagles team in 91. We had to travel last three weeks of September and arrived at their first Grand Final physically and emotional drained. We ended up losing pretty badly to an experienced Hawthorn outfit. 12 months later we went on to win our first ever Flag. I am sure you guys will be back in the mix next year and be hungry to go one better.

Enjoy the off season :)

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Not the best day in the clubs history but it was a fantastic achievement by the club to reach its first GF and I am sure the playing group will be out to make amends and show everyone what they are capable of
Like others the previous 3 weeks would have been mentally and physically tiring and they were just no match for the effort of the tigers who were a much better team on the day.
I will look at the season as a whole and see how far the club came and 3 amazing wins i remember are the Cats at Kardinia, Brisbane in the semi and then the prelim with Mumford keeping the ball in tight in the last few minutes
Looking forward to rd 1 2020 and to see how the team goes

Back