Autopsy Review - Dogs win back to back games to once again become flag favourites

Remove this Banner Ad

Bont and Naughton both miss to the left. Naughton is a poor ball drop and Bont just does not allow for his natural fade left.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They’re either not being coached properly, or they are and they’re ignoring the advice.

Either way it’s a bit of an indictment on the club. Every team has their good and bad days but the dees kicked 10.0 in their first ten set shots last week. Are they just drafting better kicks for goal? Or are they better at ensuring the coaching is good and it’s being listened to.

It also feels like a miss from one of our guys is almost always followed by a coast to coast goal from the other team, opening us up to runs of goals from the centre. That’s obviously not true but it happens enough for it to be so frustrating for everyone.

They can’t kick every one perfectly, but it has to get better.

Some random thoughts
  • I’m never more confident of somebody missing a set shot when Bont lines up for goal. Start kicking them FFS
  • Lobb much better this week, in shocking conditions too
  • JJ you can keep staying at half back. Liking it
  • Dale and Richards are forming quite the partnership down there
  • Treloar is very important for us
  • Hoping Baz bounces back next week. Need a lift from him
  • Naughton kicking straight you love to see it

Not being a smart alec, but could someone give me a serious rationale of why McComb is picked. Not "Bevo's love child" type answers, but a genuine description of what he might be bringing to the team in lieu of possessions, tackles, pressure, goals etc...

On Pixel 3a XL using BigFooty.com mobile app
Because the mids at Footscrays form isn't any better right now?

From yesterdays Footscray side only Mclean, West and McNeil were viable alternatives.

Mclean was good and the conditions yesterday would've suited him, but his form hadn't been great leading up to his dropping

West and McNeil...Oh, boy!

Then there is R Smith. Bedendo and Vendermeer who can't be considered due to injury.

McComb played because he was fit and best available.
I think this is only a part of it. Injuries have also played a big part as well as losing some depth to elsewhere.

The biggest issue for me is the absolute number of national draft selections. In 2020 we only took Jamarra and Bedendo (pick 55). In 2021 only Darcy, Arthur Jones (pick 44) and Cleary (pick 61). I’d much rather have given Milesi and extra crack in the 3rd/4th round both years versus carrying Butler/Martin on the list in 2022, Hannan/McComb in 2023.
I think in hindsight that we could've cut a little deeper into the list during the years that most of our currency was going towards bringing in JUH and Darcy.

Last edited:
I don’t want to keep harping on McComb, but what are his good attributes?

He’s slow, average kick, a mid that doesn’t even play mid for us, doesn’t pressure as a forward, rarely hits the scoreboard.

Why does he get a game?

Hannan cops it too but you can at least say he’s very quick and can hit the scoreboard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some random thoughts
  • JJ you can keep staying at half back. Liking it
He has missed many games in previous seasons but view his management as another example of coaching ineptitude. JJ is perfect for the small forward like bolton, more of whom have come into the game since 2016. Nearly every team now has a suitable match up for JJ who did not adapt to the attention he received after the premiership. Few if any of the fast smalls apply the physicality which caused JJ to stumble, Pickett hits hard but not before the ball arrives which appeared to be JJ's achilles.

From yesterdays Footscray side only Mclean, West and McNeil were viable alternatives.

Mclean was good and the conditions yesterday would've suited him, but his form hadn't been great leading up to his dropping

West and McNeil...Oh, boy!

Then there is R Smith. Bedendo and Vendermeer who can't be considered due to injury.

McComb played because he was fit and best available.
Nailed it Norm, pure and simple. Anyone bitching why McComb and Hannah played yesterday needs to watch the replay of yesterdays VFL. McNeil hasn't touched for three weeks (longer if you take in the pre-season stuff) and West is just sooking it up atm and yesterday set him back further imo!! He was lucky to touch it half a dozen times in a team that dominated for most of the game. He walks from contest to contest and gives up far too easy....We need a few back from injury before going past McComb/Hannan.

Nailed it Norm, pure and simple. Anyone bitching why McComb and Hannah played yesterday needs to watch the replay of yesterdays VFL. McNeil hasn't touched for three weeks (longer if you take in the pre-season stuff) and West is just sooking it up atm and yesterday set him back further imo!! He was lucky to touch it half a dozen times in a team that dominated for most of the game. He walks from contest to contest and gives up far too easy....We need a few back from injury before going past McComb/Hannan.
Mclean literally had 45 touches and 19 clearances…

Half fit he still covers more ground than McComb and is 10x the player he is in every single part of the game. Name just one thing McComb does better?

Half fit he still covers more ground than McComb and is 10x the player he is in every single part of the game. Name just one thing McComb does better?
I wonder how McCombs game yesterday stacks up against McLeans game earlier in the season.

I don't think McLean should be playing AFL level if not as an inside mid. Since the knees I don't think he has the athleticism to play half forward like he did in his early years. Same should probably go for McComb though, racks up touches playing midfield in the VFL but doesn't have any attributes to play forward/wing and its an unnatural position for him.

Hopefully Weightman is back and its an easy call but no chance the other fringe players (maybe Vandermeer) would survive if they performed like McComb did.

Pretty crazy that the only games we have lost this year have been against the team that is currently 1st and most likely 3rd after today. I know it's a small sample size but maybe we judged the team too harshly for those games even though the performances were abysmal. The next four games seem totally winnable and if we can win those we are looking in a good position. I still think we have a lot of work to go if we are going to be competing at the end of the year but I can see the talent there.

Last edited:
He has missed many games in previous seasons but view his management as another example of coaching ineptitude. JJ is perfect for the small forward like bolton, more of whom have come into the game since 2016. Nearly every team now has a suitable match up for JJ who did not adapt to the attention he received after the premiership. Few if any of the fast smalls apply the physicality which caused JJ to stumble, Pickett hits hard but not before the ball arrives which appeared to be JJ's achilles.
He's not nearly as dynamic or creative (or as young) as Bolton. He's actually a wise old head to have further up the ground where he can use his experience and anticipation.

Pretty crazy that the only games we have lost this year have been against the team that os currently 1st and most likely 3rd after today. I know it's a small sample size but maybe we judged the team too harshly for those games even though the performances were abysmal. The next four games seem totally winnable and if we can win those we are looking in a good position. I still think we have a lot of work to go if we are going to be competing at the end of the year but I can see the talent there.
Just need to put four quarters together, not three.

I wonder how McCombs game yesterday stacks up against McLeans game earlier in the season.
Definitely wasn’t Mcleans best game but he’s got runs on the board.

McComb last night had 8 touches going at 37% DE and only 1 tackle - only trusted for 65% TOG which is a massive burden on the rest of the team. One goal from a s**t free kick but props to him he put it through.

McLean had 17 touches, 3 tackles - main difference for mine is McLean isn’t a net negative, he’ll play his role sometimes quiet sometimes do some nice things but he won’t negatively affect the team with his performance.

One of these guys could play a role in a final (well one already has) and one of these guys could potentially be the difference in us losing the game. I know who I’d feel more confident with out there.

I don't think McLean should be playing AFL level if not as an inside mid. Since the knees I don't think he has the athleticism to play half forward like he did in his early years. Same should probably go for McComb though, racks up touches playing midfield in the VFL but doesn't have any attributes to play forward/wing and its an unnatural position for him.

Hopefully Weightman is back and its an easy call but no chance the other fringe players (maybe Vandermeer) would survive if they performed like McComb did.
Yeah maybe so, I still think it’s too early to write that off completely - he’s only going to get stronger athletically now he’s back to full fitness, and he never really relied on his athleticism anyway more his composure and smarts. I think he could potentially play as a high half forward pushing into the midfield or a back pocket in the modern game. He won’t be playing midfield for us anymore. For mine I think he could still be a poor man’s Robbie Gray type in the fwd line who had similar issues after injuries - he obviously doesn’t have the out & out class or ability of Gray but McLean at his best is similar in the way that he doesn’t waste possession, super smart footballer who can impact with minimal touches in the forward half

Maybe he is cooked, he’s definitely not at his best right now and probably won’t ever get back there - but until we get some guys back he’s far and away the best option IMO

Embarrassing GIF
Nothing to be embarrassed about. Ignore function is one of the best features of this website. I mean, chances are you won't even see this post.

Pretty crazy that the only games we have lost this year have been against the team that os currently 1st and most likely 3rd after today. I know it's a small sample size but maybe we judged the team too harshly for those games even though the performances were abysmal. The next four games seem totally winnable and if we can win those we are looking in a good position. I still think we have a lot of work to go if we are going to be competing at the end of the year but I can see the talent there.
Except that we are supposed to be a top 4 side. If we really are...we shouldn't have lost both games. We should judge our performance harshly because we are a long way from beating top 4 teams at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back