Review REVIEW GWS vs DOGS YES WE ARE IN THE ******* GRAND FINAL! YOU ******* BEAUTY

Remove this Banner Ad

Controversial post:

IMO Bev's predecessor Macca deserves some credit too tonight. Remember his "crack in" mantra?

It was there in spades throughout this finals series and most of the season.

And he wanted Clay Smith, and we can see why.

I clearly remember BMac telling supporters, the Dogs HAD to get over losing Prelims ☺

love the ******* salt on the MB

• Adelaide
  • North
  • West Coast (some)
  • Hawks (some)
In my post-win rounds of the team boards I was a bit shocked to see how gracious and congratulatory (a bunch of) the Saints fans were. Bastards even seemed human! :p

Bastards even seemed human! :p

The Dogs v Saints rivalry over the years has been a bit of a journey but deep down we support each other. Our teams have to stick up for each other, even North

Dogs backline v gws forward line:

FB: Morris (rookie) Roberts (rookie) Boyd (rookie)

Hb: Jj (rookie) hamling (DFA) Biggs (traded for a 2 pick upgrade from 39 to 37)

Gws forward line:

Hf: smith (1st rounder) cameron (bullshit underage pre-selection) Greene (1st rounder

Ff: lobb (pick 29) Patton (pick 1) Whitfield (pick 1)

greatest prelim in yonks. Even the umpires never ruined it. Gutsy performance dogs, special mention to Picken geez he tries his guts out and did some amazing one percenters, underrated footballer.
Loved seeing libba senior's reaction and reading all your's. All heart. Please don't do a freo and make that your gf.
Go the dogs!!!!!!!

Can McLean start getting some respect from our own supporters, please? You can dislike the tactics he employs at times, but some of the s**t I've read on here over the past 12 months about him being a "cheat" who offers nothing aside from the occasional free kick is so far off the mark.

The kid has a serious skill set, and one that is monumentally valuable to us. Was very important last night, particularly in the last 10 minutes. Can play.

The coin toss annoyed me. They sent 2 players to our 1. Forget the joint captaincy, it was, in my view, an attempt to convey the idea that we were outnumbered. Worked well. Woody played a blinder and was fully pumped as he burst into the rooms post game as the victorious captain (singular) but representative of the collective.
I really do despise GWS and allowed myself a few minutes to contemplate the idea of Sheedy (in particular) gritting his teeth as we bent him over and .......!!!!!!!!!! Good times.

Phil Davis was sent to hold Callan Ward's hand at the coin toss.

Can McLean start getting some respect from our own supporters, please? You can dislike the tactics he employs at times, but some of the s**t I've read on here over the past 12 months about him being a "cheat" who offers nothing aside from the occasional free kick is so far off the mark.

The kid has a serious skill set, and one that is monumentally valuable to us. Was very important last night, particularly in the last 10 minutes. Can play.

He and JJ were BOG in the last quarter from my perspective

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate I feel the same way. He was fast and soooooo switched on when everyone was running in mud. Sticky hands as well. Awesome

Toby is a smart footy player, in the time of finals you use what ever weapon you have (within the rules) to your advantage. Hawthorn had been doing it in the finals for years (shepherding the mark).

Toby is an important player in this finals series

At Sydney airport on my way home. Did that really happen?

Today is what I call a "two paper day", where i'll get copes of both the Age and Sun. Today I'm considering the Australian and maybe the geelong addy too!
Think the Australian on the weekend is only printed once to cover both days?

55 years of following the dogs. Cold and wet days at the western oval, 7 PF losses - I thought I would cry when we finally won one. I didn't - I was overwhelmed with excitement and just wanted to share it with every supporter at the ground. What a day - great start at the Brewery. Thanks to all who organised this. Not much sleep last night and while I normally get frustrated with some of the stuff that is put on BF, I am loving reading the 25 pages of passionate posts. I have to admit to bawling my eyes out when I listened to the ABC call of the last 5 minutes - again thanks for putting that up. Thanks to all who have stuck with us through the bad times and thanks for all who are bulldogs. What a week is in store for us so lets enjoy it to the max. I have always loved being a bulldog but today I feel such enormous pride in our boys. Thank you, thank you, thank you
I missed seeing that link - could you please point me to it?

Who am I?

Selected as a mature-aged rookie to the Western Bulldogs, I quickly became a crucial - yet at times derided - part of a struggling side.

In my first year, my team "won" the wooden spoon. In the four years following, we played finals only once - after an impressive first-up victory, we were utterly humiliated by the eventual premiers in Perth.

The next three years were more rewarding.

Finishing 3rd, 3rd, and 4th after the home and away season, we reached three prelims in succession. We carried the hopes of thousands of supporters who either hadn't seen the ultimate success in 50 years, or hadn't seen it at all. Most of these supporters would have lived through the 90s, where the very existence of our club was nearly brought to an end.

Unfortunately, we couldn't make the grand final in any of these years.

After suffering through this heartbreak and seeing a number of the club's champions depart, I was made captain of the club, knowing full well that these next few years could be a struggle.

And they were.

At the end of the 2011 season, the coach I had played most of my career under was sacked, and the new coach made it very clear that youth - the future - would be prioritised.

Over the next three years, I played in only 15 wins. I saw one of my closest mates be moved on against his will and finish his career at another club. I saw the careers of many of my former teammates decline, end, or finish elsewhere. I faced regular criticism from fans.

None of this stopped me from captaining the club admirably through these hard times, and doing everything I could to help develop the young guys that would probably take my spot sooner rather than later.

My form declined but my standards and effort never wavered.

In 2014, my best mate took over the captaincy. Little did I know that this decision would be the beginning of the end of this era.

Towards the end of the season, I signed a one-year contract extension. A contract extension that not long ago would have offended me - but for the good of the club, I accepted.

At the end of the season, just as things were starting to improve, the captain walked out on the club. Over the ensuing months we lost our coach, CEO, over 700 games of experience, and more. Everything was pointing to another bleak period for the club.

After playing my whole career as an inside midfielder, the new coach came to me in early 2015 and asked me to adapt to a new role. I was to move to half-back - an idea that seemed crazy to many at the time. Would this be the beginning of the end? Were the three prelims to be the closest I ever came to experiencing success with the club I love?

In 2016, I was named on the half-back flank for the All-Australian team at the age of 34. I will re-sign for the 2017 season. Above all - I am about to represent the Western Bulldogs in an AFL grand final.

I am Matthew Boyd: one of the best half-backs in the league at 34; a three-time All-Australian; and, as of next Saturday, an AFL grand finalist - for the team that he went through all of the above with.

I can't fathom how much this would mean to him. So happy for him, Morris and Picken in particular - in fact I could have easily done a similar post for either of them. These boys have done and sacrificed so much for this football club and I couldn't be happier to see them get a real chance at a premiership. All of them are utter champions of this club, and great blokes to boot. Well done and thank you to all of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back