Injury Review into our medical staff

Bucks' curse has struck again, Mitch McGovern to miss 2 months with an ankle injury.
I give the Crows credit, at least they don't pussyfoot around with the injury timeframes!

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Your argument is flawed - Saunders at NM may well be a successful High Performance manager because he is completely across all the research, and used it to implement best practice.
Ignoring the research, and flying by the seat of his pants as you are suggesting is highly unlikely.

Next time you're on the Surgeons table, do you want a Surgeon familar with the lastest research based surgery techniques, to undertake your surgery, or a one that flies by the seat of his pants?
I would want a surgeon who cares about the patient and not his own ego - surgeons are notoriously high handed and self involved - so that would be like wishing for Trav Cloke to be come a reliable kick :eek:

parvey

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2018
Very close
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool and Juventus
I know how to fix it, whatever the medical staff have been doing until now, well just reverse it and do the opposite because it hasn't worked for 6 years

Frankie23

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
So Maynard looking at coming back against Freo...5 weeks after 'spraining' his ankle...Also played out the Richmond game on it during the last quarter...farcical.

I would want a surgeon who cares about the patient and not his own ego - surgeons are notoriously high handed and self involved - so that would be like wishing for Trav Cloke to be come a reliable kick :eek:
Jon the issue here for you may be the assumption that surgeon = male. If you opened yourself to the possibility surgeons can be female you might not find them so high handed and self involved.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jon the issue here for you may be the assumption that surgeon = male. If you opened yourself to the possibility surgeons can be female you might not find them so high handed and self involved.
GC it's not an unfounded assumption. My eldest sister was a theater nurse and one of my oldest friends is a theater technician. There will always be exceptions to the rule but by and large they seem to be little Hitlers in the theater and supercilious creeps outside from the observations of two long term observers on the inside.

GC it's not an unfounded assumption. My eldest sister was a theater nurse and one of my oldest friends is a theater technician. There will always be exceptions to the rule but by and large they seem to be little Hitlers in the theater and supercilious creeps outside from the observations of two long term observers on the inside.
I try to avoid generalisations.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
I try to avoid generalisations.
Almost impossible to do so in such a 'closed shop' jmac. I can only go with the information I have but history shows that the 'surgeons union' dominates the AMA.
I did note that there are always exceptions to every generalization, although as yet I am yet to hear of any and my own experiences with the breed as a patient follow that of others.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Almost impossible to do so in such a 'closed shop' jmac. I can only go with the information I have but history shows that the 'surgeons union' dominates the AMA.
I did note that there are always exceptions to every generalization, although as yet I am yet to hear of any and my own experiences with the breed as a patient follow that of others.

IMO jonbe54 in 15 years maybe even 10 that job will be covered by AI anyway.

I had a really interesting chat with someone who is doing a worldwide study on the medical profession.
I couldn't tell you how many masters he has in so many diverse fields.

He has worked all over the world and we spoke for a couple of hours........very smart man........really interesting topic.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
IMO jonbe54 in 15 years maybe even 10 that job will be covered by AI anyway.

I had a really interesting chat with someone who is doing a worldwide study on the medical profession.
I couldn't tell you how many masters he has in so many diverse fields.

He has worked all over the world and we spoke for a couple of hours........very smart man........really interesting topic.
Yes CFC my friend the theater tech has been mumbling about the new AI techniques growing ever more sophisticated. She is very glad to be retiring in a couple of years lol.

ThexderX

Club Legend
Jul 22, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester United
Serious question, does anyone know how much say Bucks has on the fitness/training program?

I know he in the late part of his career he had major hamstring problems.

Not having a shot at him, but if he is setting the program, is there a link between all these hamstring injuries and the type of training loads?

I'm trying understand, other than accepting bad luck, why our club has such a terrible history of injuries.

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Serious question, does anyone know how much say Bucks has on the fitness/training program?

I know he in the late part of his career he had major hamstring problems.

Not having a shot at him, but if he is setting the program, is there a link between all these hamstring injuries and the type of training loads?

I'm trying understand, other than accepting bad luck, why our club has such a terrible history of injuries.
NOT having a shot at him? LOL why stop now?

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Holding our coach accountable for his results...you might like to try it one day.

No one will divulge that information to you mate.

Critique him on his players not adjusting to a full press in the first quarter against the Cats........not hamstring injuries.

PIEWITHSAUCE

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
So Maynard looking at coming back against Freo...5 weeks after 'spraining' his ankle...Also played out the Richmond game on it during the last quarter...farcical.

The way he got hit he was lucky not to have a broken leg/ankle , so I'm not surprised at 4-5 weeks.

ThexderX

Club Legend
Jul 22, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester United
No one will divulge that information to you mate.

Critique him on his players not adjusting to a full press in the first quarter against the Cats........not hamstring injuries.
Sorry you misunderstood. The comment wasn't holding him responsible for injuries, it was a general reference to the overall results and the previous poster's comment.

The original question was asking what involvement he has in the fitness regime. A fair question.

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry you misunderstood. The comment wasn't holding him responsible for injuries, it was a general reference to the overall results and the previous poster's comment.

The original question was asking what involvement he has in the fitness regime. A fair question.

He would definitely have a say IMO.

For example I think it would have been his idea for the use of footballs over this pre-season and in most drills as opposed to previous years of just running.

ThexderX

Club Legend
Jul 22, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester United
He would definitely have a say IMO.

For example I think it would have been his idea for the use of footballs over this pre-season and in most drills as opposed to previous years of just running.
There you go. Fair answer to a fair question.

Something is wrong as the amount of injuries at our club seems to be higher than average (no statistical data, just an observation).

Is the way we are training? Where we are training? Or just blind bad luck? Maybe a combination?

It's worth exploring though don't you think?

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
There you go. Fair answer to a fair question.

Something is wrong as the amount of injuries at our club seems to be higher than average (no statistical data, just an observation).

Is the way we are training? Where we are training? Or just blind bad luck? Maybe a combination?

It's worth exploring though don't you think?

Definitely worth exploring........sick of seeing our best players on the side line.

I still think they should investigate the hardness of our training ground.
Two hamstrings to Elliott there, Scharenberg ACL x 1 or 2?, Ramsay ACL, Wells ??, De Goey, Reid.........etc

CFC2010

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back