jmac70

Premium Gold
Apr 10, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dan Andrews
This time around, The Muppet Show comes with a caveat: a viewer advisory which is now carried on some episodes – 18 in total – which warns of “negative depictions and/or mistreatment of people or cultures”. The advisory plays for 12 seconds and cannot be skipped using the remote control.

“These stereotypes were wrong then and are wrong now,” the statement from US studio Disney reads. “Rather than remove this content, we want to acknowledge its harmful impact, learn from it, and spark conversation to create a more inclusive future together. Disney is committed to creating stories with inspirational and aspirational themes that reflect the rich diversity of the human experience around the globe.”
I’d like to know which people and cultures they are talking about.

JB1975

Premium Platinum
Feb 26, 2015
Elsewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
I loved The Muppet Show. I watched it at Grandma's, not being allowed to watch it at home, and that gave it some more magic.

Statler and Waldorf were early heroes of mine:

1614136721580.png

Keen observers of the world, not easily impressed, few kind words to say about anything.

One article I read suggested that the Disney warning relates to a handful of specific things, such as a scene depicting Native Americans in crude stereotype, and another in which Johnny Cash performs in front of the Confederate Rag/Flag.

If they take some moments to talk about why some elements of the show were produced in ignorance, then I'm happy enough with that, because it's a much better approach than ditching something entirely for not according to more contemporary standards.

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
If they take some moments to talk about why some elements of the show were produced in ignorance, then I'm happy enough with that, because it's a much better approach than ditching something entirely for not according to more contemporary standards.
Agree

I studied Merchant of Venice in uni, fabulous play, but full of anti-Semitic stuff, which needs to be addressed when taught, so address it. Surely we won't ban or edit sections out of Shakespeare. I don't know if it's still taught now. It would disappoint me if it isn't, but it wouldn't surprise me.

With the muppets thing, what's the point of the warning if they aren't pointing out what about it is inappropriate. But I suppose that would only increase the number of voices looking to ban or take chunks out of it.

Dynamics

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't mind the warning. It's a helluva lot better than the overly-cautious Disney cutting the show to ribbons. These are the same idiots who dropped an actor from the Mandalorian because of her outspoken conservative nature. How that impacted the show I have no idea.

I watched the Vincent Price episode of the Muppets with my son, fully expecting him to find it all "too old" and boring. Surprisingly, he loved the corny, pun-filled humour and wants to watch more.

jackcass

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I loved The Muppet Show. I watched it at Grandma's, not being allowed to watch it at home, and that gave it some more magic.

View attachment 1064185

Keen observers of the world, not easily impressed, few kind words to say about anything.

One article I read suggested that the Disney warning relates to a handful of specific things, such as a scene depicting Native Americans in crude stereotype, and another in which Johnny Cash performs in front of the Confederate Rag/Flag.

Exactly. If we can't learn from the past then we're doomed to make the same mistakes. Hiding history doesn't encourage that learning.

JB1975

Premium Platinum
Feb 26, 2015
Elsewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree

I studied Merchant of Venice in uni, fabulous play, but full of anti-Semitic stuff, which needs to be addressed when taught, so address it. Surely we won't ban or edit sections out of Shakespeare. I don't know if it's still taught now. It would disappoint me if it isn't, but it wouldn't surprise me.

With the muppets thing, what's the point of the warning if they aren't pointing out what about it is inappropriate. But I suppose that would only increase the number of voices looking to ban or take chunks out of it.
Cancel culture is more disturbing to me than a Carlton reawakening. The mindlessness of it is equal to a Trump rally.

It's also profoundly arrogant. It assumes that we've achieved such a level of enlightenment that we can sit in absolute and final judgment over all cultural artefacts, past and present.

Whatever doesn't meet 'the standard' will be disappeared, cast out from the human story.

Sometimes there seems to be something generational about it, with younger generations especially eager to see everything through the refined and near-perfect lens of the present, which is such a frighteningly small perspective on the world.

What the f*** becomes of art when humanity is too scared to look itself in the eye?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

With the streaming of The Muppet Show, my understanding is that Disney has identified some specific issues, and will talk to those issues without excising them.

That seems like a much healthier approach.

Last edited:

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cancel culture is more disturbing to me that a Carlton reawakening. The mindlessness of it is equal to a Trump rally.

It's also profoundly arrogant. It assumes that we've achieved such a level of enlightenment that we can sit in absolute and final judgment over all cultural artefacts, past and present.

Whatever doesn't meet 'the standard' will be disappeared, cast out from the human story.

Sometimes there seems to be something generational about it, with younger generations especially eager to see everything through the refined and near-perfect lens of the present, which is such a frighteningly small perspective on the world.

What the f*** becomes of art when humanity is too scared to look itself in the eye?
Agree with the arrogance. I bet many of those looking to demolish things would be aghast at Mao for demolishing so much of China's incredible antiquity.

Last edited:

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s not easy being green...

I loved Kermit as a child, and still do.
No street cred in this clip, would have thought it'd stand up to today's brutal standards of appropriateness though. Would have thought the right would be more concerned about it than the left. Having said that, I have absolutely no issue with the labels informing people of negative stereotypes being inadvertandtly pushed in a tv show or movie. I think it's a good talking point for parents who watch these shows with kids. We can get outraged by the labels - but media does often reinforce and teach prejudicial stereotypes. They shouldn't be removed just pointed out. Looking forward to seeing the editted clips when someone puts them on youtube, becasue I didn't imagine that the muppets would become in the firing line:

Last edited:

HeathComeBack

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

View attachment 1064185

Statler and Waldorf where the original trolls!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Milkshaker

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2014
24 Barrack Street
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just had a chance to read all this:

a) Harry L is the star witness. (concerning)
b) the review was conducted by the type of people who want to change the name of Coon cheese despite it having no racial history at all.

Eddies head on a plate.

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
And don't get me started on the two stereotypical grumpy-old white men in the balcony
I'm making a movie set in Sudan during their civil war. It's a moving tale of a family who get seperated by war and overcome a heap of obstacles in their bid to reunite. I've done a lot of research and I want it to be accurate. Obviously, I don't want to feed negative stereotypes about violent black men, so all the violent scenes will be acted by white actors. Now, that won't by historically accurate, so what I'm going to do is paint the white actors skin with shoe polish. I think it'll be really well received.

magpies42

Premiership Player
Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Dumbest post in the history of big footy.
Ignorance beyond the absolute measure
Unfortunately you misunderstand. You are the one that is dumb and ignorant, when you are able to think for yourself happy to have a chat. Until then, your comments need to be forgotten lest you infect others with the idiocy.

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dickhead. Syd Jackson himself has openly admitted he lied about being racially vilified. He had no reason to justify hitting Adamson and cast a slur on his character to ensure he'd escape sanction.
In Jacksons defence the president of the footy club told him to say it and it wasn't really a slur to claim someone called you a racist name on the field back in those days. Racist language on the footy field was considered gamesmanship.

Last edited:

TheGreatGrundy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
In Jacksons defence the president of the footy club told him to say it and it wasn't really a slur to claim someone called you a racist name on the field back in those days. Racist language on the footy field was considered gamesmanship.
Because blacks were racially abused on and off the field and were generally treated as lesser human beings, they were very susceptible to manipulation by powerful white people lacking in moral scruples. Getting Jackson to lie again today in the same circumstances simply would not happen. Indigenous people are in a much more secure position in society and sport and racial slurs on the football field are a thing of the past.

whiskeytown

Premiership Player
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Seems Wilkinson... was okay with the black face routine at Wacky Wednesday 2013. Lent his jumper to Osborne to do it.

Now has had a change of heart.

Echoes what happened with Lumumba and that nick name.

Dangerous place for society when people can consent to things but then retract that consent at a later point

We’ve all done things are not proud of or regret... we just have to live with it

PS - not condoning the taste behind the black face outfit on mad Monday.

stormskye

Premiership Player
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

Seems Wilkinson... was okay with the black face routine at Wacky Wednesday 2013. Lent his jumper to Osborne to do it.

Now has had a change of heart.

Echoes what happened with Lumumba and that nick name.

Dangerous place for society when people can consent to things but then retract that consent at a later point

We’ve all done things are not proud of or regret... we just have to live with it

PS - not condoning the taste behind the black face outfit on mad Monday.
All part of cancel culture, digging up the past.

TheGreatGrundy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
All part of cancel culture, digging up the past.
I recall in the 90's my friend's 15 year old son being turned away from a school social at which the students were to come in the guise of a famous person. He rather innocently went as his music hero, Bob Marley, not so difficult because he already had rasta style hair. However the skin colouring proved a problem. The school was ahead of the times objecting to the browned skin. Had he been alive, I am not sure Bob Marley would have cared. Perhaps the school should have been more specific by setting rules for the event.

Remove this Banner Ad