News Review into racism at Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I fully agree. I didn't say they had been. I just said that the report's intentions and methodology had been totally misinterpreted by society in general. The benefits in the report are for the future to decide if the recommendations eradicate systemic racism .

I agree. I think the report has been irresponsibly misrepresented by many in the media. It's a lost opportunity to learn something from it.

Disagree.
The report wasn't ever about trying to uncover all past vilification.
And reporters are also just going over stuff that was decades ago.

Who is interviewing Kirby?
What about Varcoe, Wells, Quaynor.

What has there experience been like?

We all acknowledge that back under MM when Leon, Egan and Krak were recruited we let them down.

What we need to be comfortable with is whether Buckley and Maxwell (who both were playing leaders under MM) are the right guys to drive an improved culture now!!

The board, CEO and G.Wright as new football manager will be driving most of the recommendations.
I cannot recall one bad word being said about MM. In fact I remember one of the indigenous players being quoted in an article in this thread saying that MM berated the players over their treatment of that player (I thought it was Krakouer but his recent statement suggests otherwise) and the problem was immediately solved. The ogres appear to be the very ones you have placed in the drivers' seat to take us into the new culture. Both have been named by Lumumba and MacNamara.

The bigger picture is that we are in the midst of the culture wars in the west, with extreme parties voicing their megafones on either side lumumba, fairfax theguardian included.

Collingwood was foolish to do the report and was caught in the crossfires of a fake society, exhibit slobbo from the herald sun on his high hoarse too. The irony of that should astound people. It was a bloodbath and people should reflect on what a wierd society we are creating.

Its not a better place at all and we treat one another worse on the whole than we did 20 years ago.

Western society is more and more vitriolic.

Do you believe the findings of the report are accurate? What do you think of the recommendatiins?

I think we all know the horrible issues of the aged care system in this country. So there are many ways to question these centres, that's by questioning the owners of these centres or even the inaction of the government to investigate and mandate these centres much earlier. To stereotype one race as the issue, sorry mate is disgraceful. There may be people of Indian nationality, that work in aged care, who are fantastic at their job, and do a great service for the elderly. To just say "Indians", you are associating all Indians as causing the deplorable state of our aged care system, which is completely wrong. Tweets like this are also dangerous, because once racially targeted tweets like this go out, this can cause a hatred for that particular race in the community. Completely irresponsible and then to not offer an apology, just about sums up that persons thinking when it comes to social awareness.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

There are more important things than social awareness, the most important aspect is the care of the clients, and that is being neglected and compromised because people are too afraid to say anything. I would say it';s more people with your point of view that is causing the mistreatment of the disadvantaged. You keep fighting your social justice battles while some of us actually do our job properly, it's not all Indians but they do cause their own stereotype

I cannot recall one bad word being said about MM. In fact I remember one of the indigenous players being quoted in an article in this thread saying that MM berated the players over their treatment of that player (I thought it was Krakouer but his recent statement suggests otherwise) and the problem was immediately solved. The ogres appear to be the very ones you have placed in the drivers' seat to take us into the new culture. Both have been named by Lumumba and MacNamara.
With Bucks, my view is that we hired a bloke who wasn't a coach and thought the job was only to instruct people how to play footy and not to manage a whole range of other issues regarding emotions, social interactions and behaviour. It was a crap appointment at the time and MM was right that he wasn't ready. I do think he is a coach now and now knows what the job is and is willing and becoming able to take on those responsibilities. Thus I think his re-appointment should be solely about the footy we play - I wouldn't re-appoint him for that reason.

Do you believe the findings of the report are accurate? What do you think of the recommendatiins?
I could not have given him a like because I am not quite sure what he is saying, or whether the post contains some hidden Trump agenda, but he actually gave me something to ponder upon. In many ways we do treat people worse. No one gives a s**t who they live next door to anymore, unless some grizzly murder forces them onto the street to tell an ACA reporter what a lovely person the deceased had been, despite barely ever setting eyes upon them.

People don't trust each other. Mothers clog the streets twice a day with their cars driving their kids to school, or form walking crocodiles with others to guide the kiddies past the hordes of paedophiles who must be lurking at each street corner.

People don't want to talk to each other on the phone anymore. One of the worst social gaffes you can commit is to phone someone rather than text them - even worse, to spontaneously drop in and visit someone without texting for their permission.

Superficially people are possibly nicer to each other and are expected to conform to all sorts of inclusive requirements and pronouns to keep everyone happy. The gaps between right and left are widening again after seemingly almost blending at a practical political level. I am also not so sure that the world is that much better a place than it was 20 years ago.

There are more important things than social awareness, the most important aspect is the care of the clients, and that is being neglected and compromised because people are too afraid to say anything. I would say it';s more people with your point of view that is causing the mistreatment of the disadvantaged. You keep fighting your social justice battles while some of us actually do our job properly, it's not all Indians but they do cause their own stereotype

Get it right mate, the problem as to why the aged care system is a rabble is because of the inadequacies of the government, both state and federal to properly regulate these centres, and have let the operators run amok for years without any proper mandating of the way these centres are been run. I gather by your last comment, you don't appreciate people of indian decent either. Stop insulting people any further.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I could not have given him a like because I am not quite sure what he is saying, or whether the post contains some hidden Trump agenda, but he actually gave me something to ponder upon. In many ways we do treat people worse. No one gives a sh*t who they live next door to anymore, unless some grizzly murder forces them onto the street to tell an ACA reporter what a lovely person the deceased had been, despite barely ever setting eyes upon them.

People don't trust each other. Mothers clog the streets twice a day with their cars driving their kids to school, or form walking crocodiles with others to guide the kiddies past the hordes of paedophiles who must be lurking at each street corner.

People don't want to talk to each other on the phone anymore. One of the worst social gaffes you can commit is to phone someone rather than text them - even worse, to spontaneously drop in and visit someone without texting for their permission.

Superficially people are possibly nicer to each other and are expected to conform to all sorts of inclusive requirements and pronouns to keep everyone happy. The gaps between right and left are widening again after seemingly almost blending at a practical political level. I am also not so sure that the world is that much better a place than it was 20 years ago.

Do you believe the findings of the report? What are your thoughts on the recommendations?

The bigger picture is that we are in the midst of the culture wars in the west, with extreme parties voicing their megafones on either side lumumba, fairfax theguardian included.

Collingwood was foolish to do the report and was caught in the crossfires of a fake society, exhibit slobbo from the herald sun on his high hoarse too. The irony of that should astound people. It was a bloodbath and people should reflect on what a wierd society we are creating.

Its not a better place at all and we treat one another worse on the whole than we did 20 years ago.

Western society is more and more vitriolic.

Sounds like an entertaining sort of show. Will watch when I get a chance.

How else would you like him to explain it, he is sticking up for the client's and that is what's important, that's all I'm saying on the matter because at the end of the day joffa is spot on

can easily say the staff needs to be better trained. Saying the problem is with indian carers, when australian carers are as bad, is and will always be a racist comment. Throwing shade on a whole nation will never end well.

Last edited:
Do you believe the findings of the report? What are your thoughts on the recommendations?
God you are a killjoy! I support the findings because they represent the way society is expecting to head though I find it difficult to believe that anything racist has occurred at the club in recent years. I am still slightly mystified how the gathering of evidence occurrence to justify the recommendations, but I know better than to question anything that is going to enhance the lives of minority groups in society.

I could not have given him a like because I am not quite sure what he is saying, or whether the post contains some hidden Trump agenda, but he actually gave me something to ponder upon. In many ways we do treat people worse. No one gives a sh*t who they live next door to anymore, unless some grizzly murder forces them onto the street to tell an ACA reporter what a lovely person the deceased had been, despite barely ever setting eyes upon them.

Yeah. Take out the stuff aboutr the review and add in a few right wing voices, not just those perceived as left and I'd agree with the sentiment that he/she/they posted.

O l
Sounds like an entertaining sort of show. Will watch when I get a chance.

Ive got a lot of time for your insights dont get me wrong. You're a better person than me, im no Saint.
What i respect about you is that you go against the grain on certain issues such as cancel culture.
You're much fairer in you're outlook then many of the comrades in Trump thread.
Its only a handful ive Discovered that are extreme in there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O l

Ive got a lot of time for your insights dont get me wrong. You're a better person than me, im no Saint.
What i respect about you is that you go against the grain on certain issues such as cancel culture.
You're much fairer in you're outlook then many of the comrades in Trump thread.
Its only a handful ive Discovered that are extreme in there.

I'm not immune to flattery, especially when it isn't my due, so thank you.

In return, let me say that I think you have a vigorous sense of drama, even if we should all strive to be less apocalyptic in our outlook.

God you are a killjoy! I support the findings because they represent the way society is expecting to head though I find it difficult to believe that anything racist has occurred at the club in recent years. I am still slightly mystified how the gathering of evidence occurrence to justify the recommendations, but I know better than to question anything that is going to enhance the lives of minority groups in society.

I'm the opposite - I reckon the 30 interviews were overkill. Once they'd seen the lack of policies and then asked Eddie a few questions about how they responded to the known events and why they'd responded that way, the report was written and everything else was was just going through the motions

To me it’s a simple solution and something which many clubs/small businesses are guilty of and that is having an active policy, process and importantly a program educating staff on appropriate workplace behaviour. Large organisations have had it for 20 years. I don’t think anyone has been malicious at all, but if they were educated they’d have a clear understanding of what effects others.
If that wa son place Krak probably wouldn’t have been subject to that racist joke. Or the other players may have pulled the teammate up and told him it was t on.
Even Buckley coming about yesterday could have been him now having a clearer understanding on what is and isn’t acceptable.
A racist club? I don’t think so. A naive club who should have taken this topic more seriously/professionally? Most likely
One thing which gets left out of all this by most and I've made this point a number of times is how are clubs expected to lead the charge on this when the AFL hasn't.

Clubs are part of the AFL and its they that should have or should've had policies in place for clubs to deal with racism, and any other type of issue such as assault, gambling, drugs, social media etc.

I don't think clubs can have different approaches on the same matters, it should be agreed by all and unified. But the AFL has been quiet and let us take the heat so our brand is tarnished and not theirs. What they could have done is said we understand this report is about Collingwood, other clubs had issues but its now time to move forward together on this, but they didn't not that I am aware.

So I agree we're probably naive moreso than racist in the current day and age but any issue I'd say clubs and the AFL have a damage control mindset first and foremost, driven by spin, which is exactly what Ed did at that press conference.

And how hypocritical now btw that those who gunned for him are writing articles about his welfare. Well no sh*t he'd be devastated and in a poor space mentally.

Was never the face of Collingwood supporters. Just a bloke with a gold jacket*

Yep. A media creation. Interesting bloke to talk to but I never thought he was representative of the club or it's broader supporter group.

From his tweet it seems he doesn’t care for Indian people, if he’s in Fiji he’s in the wrong place. Fiji has quite a large Indian population

Or maybe his time in Fiji informed his opinion of Indian people.

I'm the killjoy? I guess change the topic in here to anything but the report.

I'm the opposite - I reckon the 30 interviews were overkill. Once they'd seen the lack of policies and then asked Eddie a few questions about how they responded to the known events and why they'd responded that way, the report was written and everything else was was just going through the motions
My true opinion is that I simply think it's a shame the recommendations were deemed necessary given how far we are meant to have advanced as a society in terms of inclusiveness and racial equality. I am surprised there are still people, policies and structures at the club that are seen to work against the advancement of POC.

It must be at least 20 years or more since we saw the necessity for every kid to be seen a winner and included a prize in every paper fold in pass the parcel so nobody would feel they had lost or someone had won. Surely everyone also realised years ago that POC have every right to the same opportunities and life as white folk. It's a wonder that people still need to have their thinking moulded and channelled by recommendations before they realise that they have not been working in the best interests of absolutely everyone at the club. People have to be forced to see what more instinctive people felt years ago.

Perhaps the lagging attitudes says as much about the calibre of some people attracted to playing footy as it does about the need to overhaul processes within our club.

Last edited:
Very likely. Lots of tension between Indian and islander communities in Fiji. If he's been hanging with islanders, there's a fair chance he's been exposed to a lot of racist anti Indian sentiment.

Many have expressed doubt at the findings of the report in this thread. Many have questioned if we 'currently' have an issue or questioned the seriosness of it. Questioned the methodology as a means to discredit or downplay the issues.

I don't doubt the findings.
I don't doubt the methodology.
I don't doubt those who conducted the review.
I don't doubt that we still have issues. The cited 2019 & 2020 cheer squad incidents demonstrate that.

What I have questioned is what progress have we made? Where are we at now?

Just as my time in Sri Lanka informed my opinion about Indian and Sinhalese people though in a different way. Races and ethnic groups have certain characteristics and values in common, and when 2 cultures are in physical conflict, there is a tendency by observers to weigh up the pros and cons of each group, and support the one with whom they feel most sympathy and affinity.

It's hard enough dealing with idiots out in the surf.. when they sense you're skillful and s**t like that.. it's like.. respect the locals dude.. don't snake dickhead.. don't ride in on my wave and stuff like that.. they wanna bring you down and that re.. and that's just you out there having a *en surf and that re.. it's not all Tiffany.. loooookkk at the waaaaves this life re. Far from it.

So why on earth would we want to make our lives more difficult.. when it's hard enough dealing with idiots out in the surf.

Anyway.. that's my take on it.

Hope that helps bring everything back in to perspective.

My true opinion is that I simply think it's a shame the recommendations were deemed necessary given how far we are meant to have advanced as a society in terms of inclusiveness and racial equality. I am surprised there are still people, policies and structures at the club that are seen to work against the advancement of POC.

It must be at least 20 years or more since we saw the necessity for every kid to be seen a winner and included a prize in every paper fold in pass the parcel so nobody would feel they had lost or someone had won. Surely everyone also realised years ago that POC have every right to the same opportunities and life as white folk. It's a wonder that people still need to have their thinking moulded and channelled by recommendations before they realise that they have not been working in the best interests of absolutely everyone at the club. People have to be forced to see what more instinctive people felt years ago.

Perhaps the lagging attitudes says as much about the calibre of people attracted to playing footy as it does about the need to overhaul processes within our club.
I don't think it's lagging attitudes in Collingwood's and most of society's case. I think it's just that we're still learning how to do it. Some think they are doing it when thay are just making matters worse. And how we think you should do it now will probably change again in the future because we'll find out that the current approaches recommended aren't ideal and could be defined as structural racism.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back