News Review into racism at Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's lagging attitudes in Collingwood's and most of society's case. I think it's just that we're still learning how to do it. Some think they are doing it when thay are just making matters worse. And how we think you should do it now will probably change again in the future because we'll find out that the current approaches recommended aren't ideal and could be defined as structural racism.
By all means, bring in and implement all the recommendations required to prop up our current approach and let's have another team set up to oversee the ongoing situation and fine tune, scrap or change recommendations that become obsolete due to a new style of thought on the issue. :rolleyes:

Just as my time in Sri Lanka informed my opinion about Indian and Sinhalese people though in a different way. Races and ethnic groups have certain characteristics and values in common, and when 2 cultures are in physical conflict, there is a tendency by observers to weigh up the pros and cons of each group, and support the one with whom they feel most sympathy and affinity.

I agree. His time in Fiji would have been very strongly aligned to the native population and there's considerable angst between them and the Indian population. Understandable that that could colour his thinking.

I agree. His time in Fiji would have been very strongly aligned to the native population and there's considerable angst between them and the Indian population. Understandable that that could colour his thinking.
I added to my previous post where I referred to the Tamils/Sinhalese. You had given me a like which you may or may not want to remove.

By all means, bring in and implement all the recommendations required to prop up our current approach and let's have another team set up to oversee the ongoing situation and fine tune, scrap or change recommendations that become obsolete due to a new style of thought on the issue. :rolleyes:

It sounds s**t and like a waste of time, but it's not. We just have to do the best we can do based on the knowledge of the era we're in.

It also illustrates the inappropriateness of the notion that it's only racism if the attitude and behaviour is occurring to an oppressed minority group. It's a way of thinking that spreads and one countries majority is another countries minority.

Just as my time in Sri Lanka informed my opinion about Indian and Sinhalese people though in a different way. Races and ethnic groups have certain characteristics and values in common, and when 2 cultures are in physical conflict, there is a tendency by observers to weigh up the pros and cons of each group, and support the one with whom they feel most sympathy and affinity.
Which side were you on TGG? I tend to go with the underdog, so it was the Tamils for me.

lol no ones questioning the aged care standards. But yea dragging a certain nationality into is and will remain racist.

This review will be filed away with the other 20-30 undertaken into Aged Care over the last couple of decades and not much will change other than that the reviews are getting more expensive to conduct.

I'm not. The man stated at the end of 2019 he was no longer attending games as he was moving to Fiji and now he's residing in Queensland these days.

Joffa at heart is a decent man. He's not perfect, but his work with charities and the homeless have been nothing short of admirable.

Bingo. Western society is in cultural decline.

Commissioning the report will go down as one of the biggest blunders in the club's history.
I’m still surprised. He is in QLD. There are many passionate supporters who live interstate (overseas even) who have purchased a membership (these days they cater for those who obviously can’t attend many games due to where they live).
For someone like Joffa who loves the Pies, well he dropped them quickly when he moved interstate.

Just wondering if CFC has ever done anything right. God only knows why half the week minded on this site even barrack for the club. If we are that bad, why are you still supporting the club. The hypocrisy is astounding.

I’m still surprised. He is in QLD. There are many passionate supporters who live interstate (overseas even) who have purchased a membership (these days they cater for those who obviously can’t attend many games due to where they live).
For someone like Joffa who loves the Pies, well he dropped them quickly when he moved interstate.
I'm not one to judge.

I don't know his financial circumstances, and why he dropped it.

Just wondering if CFC has ever done anything right. God only knows why half the week minded on this site even barrack for the club. If we are that bad, why are you still supporting the club. The hypocrisy is astounding.
Maybe I'm losing my mind, but I almost feel like there's a concerted effort to destroy the club, and the best way to do it is divide the supporter base.

Essentially, we're becoming the latest victims of "cancel culture". Just doesn't feel like a coincidence anymore that all this is coming to a head in the past month.

Maybe I'm losing my mind, but I almost feel like there's a concerted effort to destroy the club, and the best way to do it is divide the supporter base.

Essentially, we're becoming the latest victims of "cancel culture". Just doesn't feel like a coincidence anymore that all this is coming to a head in the past month.
Man, you got that right. s**t, sorry, am I allowed to say man?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a club without protocols, so management responses would have varied considerably. MM was more experienced and had seen the sh*t Chris Lewis went through. So would have been more attuned to the issue. It sounds like he knew what he was doing and Bucks didn't.

Plus Bucks came in with an attitude of disinterest in emotional stuff. Your professionals sort your own sh*t out and turn up ready to perform, was his public stance. He did not believe his role involved emotional support, going by his public statements. It wasn't an inclusive attitude and a big chunk of players left or were pushed out. It would have been detrimental to blokes of colour as well as whites. Thankfully, he's learnt and he's changed his tune recently.

From memory and to be fair to Bucks, his comments re H in 2017 were in a post match press conference (I did a google search but couldn't find it) where emotions are high. I'd like to think that if he agreed back then to participate in a specific PC in relation to H that he'd have presented a much more considered response than when ambushed by the issues as he was. He was certainly more considered when the subject was revisited last year.

I added to my previous post where I referred to the Tamils/Sinhalese. You had given me a like which you may or may not want to remove.

Nah, happy with that.

I consider myself to be lucky to have numbers of people in my life that I consider really good friends. One of them is Sri Lankan. He calls me Honky and Snowflake, I pick on him because he's fat. I'd have thought his comments more "racist" in nature but it's just good banter between us. I've certainly formed some views on Sri Lankan's based on him though.

From memory and to be fair to Bucks, his comments re H in 2017 were in a post match press conference (I did a google search but couldn't find it) where emotions are high. I'd like to think that if he agreed back then to participate in a specific PC in relation to H that he'd have presented a much more considered response than when ambushed by the issues as he was. He was certainly more considered when the subject was revisited last year.
Yeah, we tend to labour the errors. Of course these guys stuff up and say the wrong thing some times.

Eddie spoke so much in front of a mike - all day everyday. If it was many of us there would have been a heap more gaffes.

Yeah, we tend to labour the errors. Of course these guys stuff up and say the wrong thing some times.

Eddie spoke so much in front of a mike - all day everyday. If it was many of us there would have been a heap more gaffes.
You're right, but the unforgiving nature that permeates society these days disturbs me the most.

There's no sense of forgiveness or redemption. It's all about cutting good people down and destroying them as we saw with Ed.

That's why I despise "woke" ideology and cancel culture.

Man, you got that right. sh*t, sorry, am I allowed to say man?

I think we need to all just ease up a little bit man.. get some fun back in to our lives.. go out and watch some waves break on the baaaahhaaaayyyy.. soft white sands and blue lagoons.. cocktail time.. a summers thhhune.. a whole nights holidaaaahaaayyhaaaaay.

can easily say the staff needs to be better trained. Saying the problem is with indian carers, when australian carers are as bad, is and will always be a racist comment. Throwing shade on a whole nation will never end well.

How do you know Australian carers are as bad? There is good and bad in every race, there is plenty of training for workers.

How do you know Australian carers are as bad? There is good and bad in every race, there is plenty of training for workers.

That's my experience. It isn't race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation that are the determinants, it's individual attitudes. Race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation can of course contribute to the formation of a persons attitudes.

Which side were you on TGG? I tend to go with the underdog, so it was the Tamils for me.
Tamils for me, sr36. I love the Tamils in India and the Sinhalese gave me no reason to switch allegiances and every reason to support them. When a Sinhalese described the Tamils to me as 'filthy, lazy buggers', I figured he could apply the description more aptly to himself. When they were throwing the Tamils off trains, burning them in piles in the villages or confining them in Jaffna to an area the size of a couple of football fields and mowing them down with bullets, there was no second guessing where my allegiances lay. While I can't truly condone the Tamil Tigers being responsible for the assassination of the leaders of 2 countries, I was never totally unsympathetic to their cause.

That's my experience. It isn't race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation that are the determinants, it's individual attitudes. Race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation can of course contribute to the formation of a persons attitudes.

In terms of groupings, the only real determinant is Carlton supporters.

I think we need to all just ease up a little bit man.. get some fun back in to our lives.. go out and watch some waves break on the baaaahhaaaayyyy.. soft white sands and blue lagoons.. cocktail time.. a summers thhhune.. a whole nights holidaaaahaaayyhaaaaay.
A beach house with a broad balcony in Mt Martha with sea views, a cocktail and a choice of partner for the night from the residences either side would probably suffice to ease the pain of living. Don't think I would even bother making the trip down to the shore.

This review will be filed away with the other 20-30 undertaken into Aged Care over the last couple of decades and not much will change other than that the reviews are getting more expensive to conduct.
People blame the government, but they should be really blaming every government that has ever presided over aged care and nursing home. None of them have made a difference.

can easily say the staff needs to be better trained. Saying the problem is with indian carers, when australian carers are as bad, is and will always be a racist comment. Throwing shade on a whole nation will never end well.

Prolly need to check yourself if you

lol just like joffa knew indian carers are bad i know australian carers are as bad. But thanks for proving my point that when you drag a community into it (like i did with the australian community), members of that community will get upset.

its like supporting a club, all have bad apples doesnt mean the whole supporter base is bad. My issue was with you agreeing with joffas sentiments rather than saying you think that regardless of the community you will have good and bad (which i agree with). Joffa rather than asking for the standards/training to be lifted threw the whole indian community under the bus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back