News Review into racism at Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd consider them circumstances forcing a placatory statement regarding Lumumba which I am sure Buckley would prefer not to have to make. Waleed Aly has not apologised for his interview with the man and nor should Buckley apologise for anything. Unfortunately the club has been pressured in the media by the almost fluff media article by Davis who did not even serve under Buckley with Lumumba as a player. The club have to play the media game and the odds are weighted against them in this over-charged PC environment.

It's funny really. Peter Helliar went down on his knees lower than shark s**t to plead for mercy and the man who almost brought Lumumba to tears has escaped smelling of roses...

I tried to read this article for a few minutes and then gave up. There are so many rules in race issues that I've decided not to discuss them in real life anymore.

I tried to read this article for a few minutes and then gave up. There are so many rules in race issues that I've decided not to discuss them in real life anymore.

The one thing is that is clear from that article is that it is currently appropriate to treat blacks and whites differently.

The one thing is that is clear from that article is that it is currently appropriate to treat blacks and whites differently.

earlier in this thread, i made some negative comments about people who dressed in blackface. I now know that as a white person that I dont what i'm taking about, and i'll keep to what i know.

earlier in this thread, i made some negative comments about people who dressed in blackface. I now know that as a white person that I dont what i'm taking about, and i'll keep to what i know.
I just think it's really important that we make skin colour a massive issue at every opportunity. That way we'll no longer care about skin colour...

I just think it's really important that we make skin colour a massive issue at every opportunity. That way we'll no longer care about skin colour...
Melanomas are with you bro!

and so are the worlds billionaires as they laugh at our ignorance and credulity.

divide and conquer

Melanomas are with you bro!

and so are the worlds billionaires as they laugh at our ignorance and credulity.

divide and conquer
Nah it's us not billionaires, they're just a scapegoat. The general public on social media are doing the dividing and being conquered. Tech billionaires benefit from it and have systems that encourage us, but we're swinging the axe of separation.

Nah it's us not billionaires, they're just a scapegoat. The general public on social media are doing the dividing and being conquered. Tech billionaires benefit from it and have systems that encourage us, but we're swinging the axe of separation.
really?
from 1917 to now...
you see no obvious skewing of "the left" side of politics? ... and beneficiaries of such?

really?
from 1917 to now...
you see no obvious skewing of "the left" side of politics? ... and beneficiaries of such?
I'm never really sure what people mean when they say left. Are you talking economics or social issues. I think the left economically have disappeared, but it was driven by a growing middle class that no longer identified as exploited workers. I think it will return as income differentials continue to grow.

Lol.. it's us is it.. you must know a whole lot more rabidly racist, homophobic, sexist etc etc people than I do then.

Let me put it another more simplistic way for you...
When's the last time there was major strike?... or even a national discussion about workers rights?
What has been happening to the gap between rich and poor...???
What has happened to the once highly esteemed concept of "egalitarianism"?

What occupies the attentions of the proletariat instead of these things??

In the 1950's / 1960's my grandparents were working class people who lived near Windy Hill. Grandfather worked as bricklayer, Grandmum stayed at home with the kids. Poor luv didn't get the pleasure of paying to send her kids to be looked after by strangers at childcare while she worked in a job she hated. But hey! on the bright side... They could afford to buy and pay off a nice humble Californian Bungalow in Essendon on one income and retired by 60. That house is worth $1.4 mill now!!! They had roast lamb 3 nights a week.

God bless progress!

It's funny really. Peter Helliar went down on his knees lower than shark sh*t to plead for mercy and the man who almost brought Lumumba to tears has escaped smelling of roses...
Because Peter Helliar is white I believe he feels morally obliged to bow to the power of media influenced public opinion and the assumption that the POC is always right because we white folk have not experienced and are therefore missing their truth. Aly on the other hand conducted the interview and realises Lumumba interviewed poorly and was unable or unwilling to substantiate any of his claims other than with the largely unstated "I am a POC, I say I was abused. You must believe me', and spoke in generalities all the time. Aly is a journalist and knows the answers given were inadequate responses to his questions. I listened to the interview and am 100% with Aly on this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because Peter Helliar is white I believe he feels morally obliged to bow to the power of media influenced public opinion and the assumption that the POC is always right because we white folk have not experienced and are therefore missing their truth. Aly on the other hand conducted the interview and realises Lumumba interviewed poorly and was unable or unwilling to substantiate any of his claims other than with the largely unstated "I am a POC, I say I was abused. You must believe me', and spoke in generalities all the time. Aly is a journalist and knows the answers given were inadequate responses to his questions. I listened to the interview and am 100% with Aly on this one.

well then Peter should be congratulated for doing what he feels is morally right.

Thats an interesting thought... It might work for the "we". However there are quite a few "not we's" out there who think their failures in life are due to people with coloured skin. I'm not sure talking about it more is going to make them change..

i'm not sure if it's a "current" sort of thing. You might have heard that indigenous australians couldnt vote until the late 1960s. They were also prohibited from being in towns and cities in the past. There's a few other examples too such as where their children were given to church groups for their "betterment", which is kind of ironic when you think about royal commissions. I could go on but i'm sure you get the point.

They had roast lamb 3 nights a week.

God bless progress!

we only had roast lamb on sundays. i had a recent weekly habit of making a lamb roast for a family member but got jack of all the fat lying around after the meal.... damn those sheep are an overweight lot. So I changed to two thick scotch fillets on the bbq. Last week's pair cost $34

"Expert bias" is a very real psychologically recognized issue that has spawned a lot of research, particularly in legal circles.

In my opinion it's highly likely that there was only one way these "experts" were ever going to report this.

A proper approach would have been to have equal unbiased representatives, and also a secret research report (see below):

View attachment 1049202
View attachment 1049198
View attachment 1049201

An academic paper cited 3 times that’s available for free on a library website and not associated with any sort of reputable journal by 2 authors no ones ever heard says it’s true??

must be true.

Lol.. it's us is it.. you must know a whole lot more rabidly racist, homophobic, sexist etc etc people than I do then.

When's the last time there was major strike?... or even a national discussion about workers rights?

In the 1950's / 1960's my grandparents were working class people who lived near Windy Hill. Grandfather worked as bricklayer, Grandmum stayed at home with the kids. Poor luv didn't get the pleasure of paying to send her kids to be looked after by strangers at childcare while she worked in a job she hated. But hey! on the bright side... They could afford to buy and pay off a nice humble Californian Bungalow in Essendon on one income and retired by 60. That house is worth $1.4 mill now!!! They had roast lamb 3 nights a week.

God bless progress!

My Pa was WW2 veteran and my father was born in 1939... I think poor Nan would say that things progressed a bit for your grandparents in ten years!

God bless progress!
I'm not suggesting there hasn't been a move away from the economic left. I just think you've got the cause wrong. The middle class grew and no longer viewed themselves as exploited workers.

we only had roast lamb on sundays. i had a recent weekly habit of making a lamb roast for a family member but got jack of all the fat lying around after the meal.... damn those sheep are an overweight lot. So I changed to two thick scotch fillets on the bbq. Last week's pair cost $34
deprived

I'm not suggesting there hasn't been a move away from the economic left. I just think you've got the cause wrong. The middle class grew and no longer viewed themselves as exploited workers.
I think I've got the cause spot on.

The aspirationals! too busy working longer hours trying to afford a bigger McMansion to realize they've been duped.

I think I've got the cause spot on.

The aspirationals! too busy working longer hours trying to afford a bigger McMansion to realize they've been duped.
Whose duping them though? The wealth at the top has shifted considerably during the timeframe that the move away from the left has occurred. The corporations, industries and economies who held the power when the shift occurred have also been comparative losers from globalism.

Last edited:
Whose duping them though? The wealth at the top has shifted considerably during the timeframe that the move away from the left has occurred. The corporations, industries and economies who held the power when the shift occurred have also been comparative losers from globalism.
Not at all correct, but if it was... so?
The real wealth at the top shifts with the movements. Mostly.. Some die out and some new blood comes in. A corporation going out of business is a very distinct thing from a fallen oligarch. Normally they've moved their money on well before the corporate carcass is finally laid to rest... into businesses, or financing businesses in China for instance. Besides that, why would you expect the new blood to operate any differently than the old?..i.e... in pure self interest ??

Thats because the process hasnt finished yet. Wait until people go online to see doctors in china or seek advice from a lawyer in south africa.... wait until all the service based work that was done at home for the last year gets transferred to workers in foreign countries. Wait until all the transport jobs are done by robots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back