News Review into racism at Collingwood

This is big, and seems worthy of its own thread ...

“It found:

- There is a gap between what Collingwood Football Club says it stands for and what it does
The club is more likely to react to media coverage about a racist incident than complaints made within the club

- Collingwood's response has often been perceived as one where claims of racism are dealt with in terms of damage control and protecting the brand

- Those who have raised issues felt they paid a high price for speaking out

- It diminishes the ability of the Club to resolve the dispute internally, and

- It heightens the risk of public grievance and negative publicity that impacts the Club, its staff, its players and its supporters”

It is worthy of its own thread.

The ABC story is some difficult reading, but I admit to wanting something more (i.e. the report) to flesh out those disturbing dot points.

Still, the implications are clear, and I'd say they are especially clear for the President.

Wow!!

The first two points: “...gap between what it stands for and what it does”, and “damage control and protecting the brand” are issues that many folks have felt about the club for a while, and not just on the issue of racism.

That approach worked and was the accepted way of doing things a while ago. It’s 2021 now, the world doesn’t work that way any more.

Wow!!

The first two points: “...gap between what it stands for and what it does”, and “damage control and protecting the brand” are issues that many folks have felt about the club for a while, and not just on the issue of racism.

That approach worked and was the accepted way of doing things a while ago. It’s 2021 now, the world doesn’t work that way any more.
Surely a press conference today.

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't think it's Tenable for Ed and the Board to go on this year, it's revamped list and it's time to revamp the whole club, but hey, a lot of on here have known all about this for years, pity it has taken so long for this stuff to come out. There are more than just racist issues at the club and Ed has been the head the whole time

TKiL

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2017
Eastern Suburbs, Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't think it's Tenable for Ed and the Board to go on this year, it's revamped list and it's time to revamp the whole club, but hey, a lot of on here have known all about this for years, pity it has taken so long for this stuff to come out. There are more than just racist issues at the club and Ed has been the head the whole time
Blokey cover ups - mired in a neanderthal swamp.

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s a time of reckoning for our club. Let’s face it, understand it, deal with it, and get better.

Having commissioned this review was a good start.

Let's hope they don't just pat each other on the back just for having the Independant Review, sick of all the drug and alcohol sagas, racism sagas and as the review said, "What do we stand for?" It's all coming out Ed, not many places left to hide

100% thread-worthy.

Exposing these warts makes for uncomfortable reading but I think we've all suspected for a while that whilst Ed was a breath of fresh air when he took over, he is seen as a dinosaur today. Commissioning the review was a great start, we will be better for it.

I suspect Collingwood is not the only club with these issues.

Mar 31, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
It is worthy of its own thread.

The ABC story is some difficult reading, but I admit to wanting something more (i.e. the report) to flesh out those disturbing dot points.

Still, the implications are clear, and I'd say they are especially clear for the President.
I’m just gutted by this. Ed and most of the board need to resign today.
Blokey cover ups - mired in a neanderthal swamp.

There are people that are surprised by the report?

I could have written it without any investigation, probably would have been cheaper too.

All good, there should be clear policies on repercussions for poor behaviour of all kinds including racism.

KPIs for recruitment though? Gross, I would not want to be involved in that mess on either side. There are not enough coaching positions to fill to not have someone feel like the diversity hire.

Recruitment should be talent tempered by integrity and the KPI is as it always has been - winning football games.

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Reposted to correct thread....

It’s hard to argue with any of the findings.

I’ve been actively supporting the Pies for 35+ years and really struggle to name even a dozen non-white players to have graced our list in that time. Contrast that to the likes of Hawthorn, Essendon, Port, West Coast, Kangas & Richmond (among others) who have had several multiples of our number over the same period.

Funnily enough, it’s probably a contributing factor to us having won only two flags in 62 years. We have regularly lacked the X-factor needed for ultimate success and that’s an attribute many non-white players bring to the game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

TKiL

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2017
Eastern Suburbs, Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood

I could have written it without any investigation, probably would have been cheaper too.

All good, there should be clear policies on repercussions for poor behaviour of all kinds including racism.

KPIs for recruitment though? Gross, I would not want to be involved in that mess on either side. There are not enough coaching positions to fill to not have someone feel like the diversity hire.

Recruitment should be talent tempered by integrity and the KPI is as it always has been - winning football games.
Games and FLAGS!

Mar 5, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd like to know why it has been leaked, rather than released by the club.

Very frustrating that it takes a leak for the information to start to filter through.

It's clear now that Ed fell on his sword because of this report. Why not say that at the beginning? Why not say that the report has been received and the findings show that the club handled things inadequately under his watch?

Always been a supporter of Eddie, but this s**t drives me crazy. Just be transparent FFS.

AndrewShawble

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

Plenty of them if you go into the threads that were of much debate last year around the suggestion of change at the leadership level.

There’s even a thread about Pies supporters that “should be ashamed” when they suggested cancelling memberships due to the governance failings highlighted in the trade period.

TKiL

Cancelled
Jul 22, 2017
Eastern Suburbs, Melb
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd like to know why it has been leaked, rather than released by the club.

Very frustrating that it takes a leak for the information to start to filter through.

It's clear now that Ed fell on his sword because of this report. Why not say that at the beginning? Why not say that the report has been received and the findings show that the club handled things inadequately under his watch?

Always been a supporter of Eddie, but this sh*t drives me crazy. Just be transparent FFS.
With a high profile club like Cwood "leak" sometimes means the same thing as "release" :)

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
With a high profile club like Cwood "leak" sometimes means the same thing as "release" :)

Leaked by an ambitious Board member who wants Eddie gone ASAP? Leaked by one of the authors out of frustration for lack of subsequent action by the club?

Regardless, the club should have formally released it, along with a commitment to act on the recommendations, promptly after it was finalised.

Sitting on it not only highlights the perceived lack of transparency but increased the chance of it leaking and the club losing control of the messaging. Amateur-hour. Again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm all for protecting the brand at every opportunity, right or wrong. Without a positively-perceived brand, you lose supporters, members, respect and eventually fall to a level where you start to have problems acquiring and retaining players. Sponsors. The lot. It's a domino effect that you can't stop once it gets rolling.

But I'm also for not allowing a culture that allows for wrongdoing to start with. It's all about getting better and righting wrongs; flush out those whom were responsible, let them quit themselves if they have to... but most of all ensure that the environment right now is spot on for now and for the future.

From the outside looking in, the club seems a lot better right now than it was from say 2005-2012. That's just and external perspective but I would hope that there isn't actually much left that needs changing.

Back