Review Review of the 2020 season as it was

Remove this Banner Ad

Another wasted season where we neither challenged or bottomed out to get good draft picks.

Not sure about that. The first quarter of the season was quite excellent. Looked switched on and even our goal kicking had improved!

And then we went to the "old Crows" of the rest of the season and finished in no mans land.....

did you send 20 emails to the club complaining that you’ve not missed a single home game and deserve special exemption from the rules like those people likely did?
No I sent an email to Fagan saying he can keep my money. Got a nice reply back and said he forwarded it on to Sloaney and Nicks.

Told him as long as he didn’t send them the ones I sent last year, got another good response back.

No I sent an email to Fagan saying he can keep my money. Got a nice reply back and said he forwarded it on to Sloaney and Nicks.

Told him as long as he didn’t send them the ones I sent last year, got another good response back.

I'm going to send him an email saying he can keep the money from our gold upgrades as long as he is prepared to write that club employees are incorrect to call us or consider us as customers. I should probably include my bank details to save him the bother of having to ask for them. But I'll be expecting a full refund for our AO memberships from the SMA. We're listed as Port members anyway.

Hey Crows fans. I hope it's ok I post in here (this was the most suitable thread I could find to post in).

In our latest podcast my mate and I do, we continue our 2020 club reviews discussing Adelaide.

From the 0.50min mark, we talk about the year the Crows had.
Give it a listen if you have a spare 20mins & wanting to consume some external opinions on your club this off-season.

Hope you enjoy it & have a happy new year.

- What worked, what failed, who deserves a pay rise & who needs a big 2021?
- Key list changes, our best 22 for each club, 2020 grade & 2021 projection

ADELAIDE @ 0.50
- 0-13 to start, won 3 of last 4 games but shouldn’t hide list deficiencies
- Laird's move into midfield & O’Brien's maiden BnF win bright spots
- Hub life struggles & the Barossa Valley COVID-19 breach
- Chayce Jones fails to take step forward & Gallucci delisting unfortunate
- Keays turns the corner to reignite career in tagging role
- McHenry & Fogarty important for fast tracking rebuild
- Is Tex in the best 22? Thilthorpe & Elliott Himmelberg the future

Hey Crows fans. I hope it's ok I post in here (this was the most suitable thread I could find to post in).

In our latest podcast my mate and I do, we continue our 2020 club reviews discussing Adelaide.

From the 0.50min mark, we talk about the year the Crows had.
Give it a listen if you have a spare 20mins & wanting to consume some external opinions on your club this off-season.

Hope you enjoy it & have a happy new year.

- What worked, what failed, who deserves a pay rise & who needs a big 2021?
- Key list changes, our best 22 for each club, 2020 grade & 2021 projection

ADELAIDE @ 0.50
- 0-13 to start, won 3 of last 4 games but shouldn’t hide list deficiencies
- Laird's move into midfield & O’Brien's maiden BnF win bright spots
- Hub life struggles & the Barossa Valley COVID-19 breach
- Chayce Jones fails to take step forward & Gallucci delisting unfortunate
- Keays turns the corner to reignite career in tagging role
- McHenry & Fogarty important for fast tracking rebuild
- Is Tex in the best 22? Thilthorpe & Elliott Himmelberg the future

Good stuff. Only points I disagree with are Laird being a "good user". He has a bad tendency to kick loopy hospital balls. Fotunately since moving to the middle we're seeing a bit less of that now. Not sure I agree with McHenry being a good decision maker. His limited AFL career so far shows he's tries hard but his decision making has been pretty poor. I'm hoping he shows some decent footy IQ at some stage. Still very young obviously.

Good stuff. Only points I disagree with are Laird being a "good user". He has a bad tendency to kick loopy hospital balls. Fotunately since moving to the middle we're seeing a bit less of that now. Not sure I agree with McHenry being a good decision maker. His limited AFL career so far shows he's tries hard but his decision making has been pretty poor. I'm hoping he shows some decent footy IQ at some stage. Still very young obviously.
Thanks for the feedback. We probably need to watch Laird a bit more carefully next year.
I guess it's rare when players are both quick and good ball users though.

McHenry was touted as being a good decision marker prior to the draft so hopefully with more games & experience he starts to show it like you say.

Laird is a solid ball user. He knows his limitations. He's no Smith with damaging disposal, but he doesn't waste the ball much unlike some others.

Laird is a solid ball user. He knows his limitations. He's no Smith with damaging disposal, but he doesn't waste the ball much unlike some others.
I think he definitely improved since moving to the middle. His new role allows him to use his speed and hands much more than when he was playing off HB where he would be forced to kick more and over longer distances. I got very tired of his high, loop kicks coming off HB.

Thanks for the feedback. We probably need to watch Laird a bit more carefully next year.
I guess it's rare when players are both quick and good ball users though.

McHenry was touted as being a good decision marker prior to the draft so hopefully with more games & experience he starts to show it like you say.
I don't think you guys have it wrong. My comments about Laird were more related to his role off HB. His ball use improved when he moved to the middle. Even more importantly, the ferocious defensive side of the game seemed to come back in spades. I'm not sure what it was about Pykes game plan but I feel like having him rack up easy ball in the back line and dump kicks down the line is not fully utilising his strengths. The guy can be a pressure machine if you want him to be.

McHenry has a major case of white line fever. He's so bloody passionate but sometimes he needs to use his brain a little more. One example would be the time he got cracked ribs bodying Max Gawn after the whistle had blown. I know he wants to be that niggling small player who gets in opposition players faces, I'm just not sure he has the body to back it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives on field:
ROB. Great season
Hamill
McPherson. Showed her can be a 150 game to 200 game player if body holds up.
Sholl. Showed really good signs.
Laird. Good season.
Himmelberg. Great end to the year.
*Stengle(onfield good, off field needs help)
McAdam. Showed some exciting stuff.
Schoenberg. Very promising.
Jones. Showed some signs but we need more from him.
McAsey. Didn't show a great deal but showed a few glimpses of what he can do.
Keays. Good year, tried hard at all times.

Non positives on field
Walker. Obviously cooked.
Sloane. Not a season to remember.
Lynch. Likewise.
Smith. We need more and needs to improve his kicking accuracy.
Fogarty. Lacklustre at best.
McHenry. Fear he will be a bust.
Seedsman. Showed a glimpse or two but not consistent enough.
Kelly. Is average at best.
Murphy. Not really sure why he's on the list.
Frampton. Not sure why we traded him. Not Afl standard.

Positives to look forward too:
Nick's having 12months with the group and being more comfortable at the helm
New assistant coaches
A fit Doedee and Milers I hope
The addition of Thilthorpe, Hately, Hinge, Berry, Cook, Pedlar
How the young kids such as Hamill, Sholl, McPherson, Himmelberg, Jones, McAsey, Schoenberg are going to progress.
Hopefully get to see what Worrell, O'Connor, Gollant have to offer.

Last edited:
Promising youth in Sholl, McAdam, Schoenberg, Hamill, Himmelberg, McPherson, Keays. Our older players appear to all have went backwards probably apart from Laird when going in the middle.

Really keen to see how we go in early part of 2021 with the inclusion of some genuine top end draft picks this year. Might be the kicker we need, with our older players feeling more heat (for spots) than any other year, and young ones can sense they have more opportunities at AFL level.

Really keen to see how we go in early part of 2021 with the inclusion of some genuine top end draft picks this year. Might be the kicker we need, with our older players feeling more heat (for spots) than any other year, and young ones can sense they have more opportunities at AFL level.
I'd temper your expectations if your feeling optimistic about 2021. It's not going to be pretty. We finished bottom, have a young inexperienced list and lost arguably our best midfielder in the post season. Doesn't feel like a recipe for success.

(I'm pretty bullish about 2023 though. Somebody thaw me out in a couple of years)

DgbPORXX4AIB-4V.jpg

I'd temper your expectations if your feeling optimistic about 2021. It's not going to be pretty. We finished bottom, have a young inexperienced list and lost arguably our best midfielder in the post season. Doesn't feel like a recipe for success.

(I'm pretty bullish about 2023 though. Somebody thaw me out in a couple of years)

DgbPORXX4AIB-4V.jpg

Pretty much. I'd have not winning the spoon as an successful season.

As bad as it sounds to say it, second to last wouldn't be a terrible result. Decent draft picks, no second spoon. That's about as much as you could hope for.
I'm more concerned about developing our younger players & learning Nick's system... with wins being a bonus.

Need season to continue so we can finish last and get top 2 picks.
I hate seeing posts that want us to finish bottom. My aim is to finish as high as possible every year. We will disappear as a club if we keep having bad years. We have had our bad year or 2 or 3, now we need to start winning.

Disagree. We don't have the talent yet to win a flag. Particularly through the middle.
Have you thought about coaching the Crows. Right attitude. I didn't mention premiership. I want us to be more than competitive every match. Playing for draft picks is defeatist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back