Review Review: R8 v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Uncle Frank

Cancelled
May 13, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Look at our draw. Shows what "they" know. Hate it when I listen to vicco commentators talk about us as if they know anything about us. They don't spend a second thinking about the crows. Just make sweeping generalisations. The same way they didn't rate our win against Freo because they don't recognise that's not our plan A game plan, and we toughed it out, something we have struggled with in the past, and backed it up against Port.

I unfortunately and foolishly watched the “access all areas” segment they have on AFL app,
They literally spent the whole show talking about Victorian vanilla side won this and lost that and spent like 2 MINUTES on the crows!!

AdvancedCrowbot

Senior List
Apr 4, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
There was a free Lycett got for a hit in the ribs, but it looked like he went front on in the marking contest. I don't think they replayed it it but I could have sworn it looked like it should have been our free for front on. Did I not see it properly?

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
That’s some quality trolling from our Instagram account.
I like the chewed up core in the top right.
FA149E4B-AABF-4446-BFC6-BBB3BD629DDB.jpeg

And just on Dmac, sometimes i think fans get a perception on someone early on, maybe he made some shocking mistakes when he started out, amplified more because he was surrounded by class players like Danger, Sloane, McCleod. Didn't help that RGray was picked in the draft after him either.
He's obv rated by teammates and coaches or no way he lasts 200 games. Just offers a lot that we can't see i guess. Saints fans have the same perception of Newnes. We all need a scapegoat when things go sour. And usually the first cab of the rank are those vanilla types.(that dont fight back)

Not in this case, Mackay peaked in his second year.

More a player who has survived for 10+ years without really being good at anything, though occasionally he shows you that he had the tools to be an absolute superstar if he had the ability to put it all together. Quite possibly the most disappointing player/career we've ever had really.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Are we doing our own version of Bulldogs 2016, Tigers 2017?
Hypothetical:
Lets say that our defence remains as solid as it has been with only one improvement, specifically eliminating the howler kicks that result in easy oppo goals (worst offenders Hartigan/Kelly/Atkins). Every defence has probably one a game but we seem to have more.
Add to that strong improvement from our forwards, specifically EH who will get better with more games, Walker is improving, Lynch too, and maybe even Eddie will rediscover his mojo.
Solid defence (Equal best now, with Geelong) + very good mids rotations + forwards which capitalise on good and bad delivery + good depth (getting back Seeds and Milera) = answer to your question above, I'd reckon.

Am I predicting a Flag? No. Are we contenders? Yes, with only Geelong and Collingwood playing better at this stage.

Hypothetical:
Lets say that our defence remains as solid as it has been with only one improvement, specifically eliminating the howler kicks that result in easy oppo goals (worst offenders Hartigan/Kelly/Atkins). Every defence has probably one a game but we seem to have more.
Add to that strong improvement from our forwards, specifically EH who will get better with more games, Walker is improving, Lynch too, and maybe even Eddie will rediscover his mojo.
Solid defence (Equal best now, with Geelong) + very good mids rotations + forwards which capitalise on good and bad delivery + good depth (getting back Seeds and Milera) = answer to your question above, I'd reckon.

Am I predicting a Flag? No. Are we contenders? Yes, with only Geelong and Collingwood playing better at this stage.

Don't plan on Eddie rediscovering his mojo seeing age has caught up to him too much for that to occur. Though he'll still be an alright small forward, and will have some work put into him due to reputation.

Hypothetical:

If we're going to challenge the better sides, we need to address the problem of our goalkicking. It's been completely abysmal all season. Lynch and Betts the worst offenders.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Don't plan on Eddie rediscovering his mojo seeing age has caught up to him too much for that to occur. Though he'll still be an alright small forward, and will have some work put into him due to reputation.
Key words in my post:
--- "Hypothetical" and (wrt to Eddie) "maybe even ...".

No plan there.

You've taught me something! I have never seen it spelt as other than wrack, except on BF, but you are right. :huh:

One would think as an Aussie you are used to alternative spellings. I enjoy the humor in these threads as much as anyone and while I have my favorite posters same as everyone else, the fact you lot are discussing spelling--sorta is a pot meet kettle proposition for someone as honorable as little old me. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mistylake

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Canadiens, Maroons.
I know im getting way ahead of myself but imagine winning thr premiership and getting pick 1. Has that ever happened?
I feel like Hawthorn found themselves in this kind of “predicament” 🤪 after losing Lance Franklin. I don’t know what pick they got.

ET Sloane Home

Debutant
Nov 25, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I unfortunately and foolishly watched the “access all areas” segment they have on AFL app,
They literally spent the whole show talking about Victorian vanilla side won this and lost that and spent like 2 MINUTES on the crows!!
It’s a 16 minute program, for an 18 team league. 2 minutes is over representation 😉

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hypothetical:

Richmond going ok with a long injury list. They’ll only get stronger as the players return.

Brown_DOG68

All Australian
Jun 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Cincinnati Reds
There was a free Lycett got for a hit in the ribs, but it looked like he went front on in the marking contest. I don't think they replayed it it but I could have sworn it looked like it should have been our free for front on. Did I not see it properly?
You saw it properly - i nearly threw my glass at the TV!

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Richmond going ok with a long injury list. They’ll only get stronger as the players return.
From my original post: "only Geelong and Collingwood playing better at this stage. "
Yes, Richmond (definitely), West Coast and GWS (have MCG problems) are potential Flag threats. However, if we'd played any of those 3 last Saturday I'd have expected a Crows win.
At this stage, Geelong and Collingwood are playing the best footy.
Sportsbet has us behind all 5 of those teams @ 15/1. Some Saints fan commented on our Board that they'd backed us to win the Flag @ 25/1; would love it if they collect!

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
Are we doing our own version of Bulldogs 2016, Tigers 2017?
Frenetic pressure with our own spin on it, due to the players we have.
I think the intangible ingredient is desire to give “110%”. The guys have been out on their feet the last 2 weeks in the final quarters. Which is encouraging.
It will be interesting to see if we can maintain the efforts because consistency has been an issue for years.
If we can see the end of those games where we don’t turn up, I might start believing.

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does anyone have the kms covered stats? I don't know but I would guess knight would be close to the top for us, he looks to have a job to run all day and fill gaps in the defense which is not something that would show in any other stats but a crucial cog in the machine.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Go.

Personally..

Liked: We played a full 4 quarters last week of tough, contested footy that isn't our plan "A" game wise and got the win. And we backed it up with 3 quarters and a little surge to get over the line this week of the same type of footy and we are in the 4 after a bad start to the year.

Hated : Every port player out there.

Learnt : We have one of the toughest draws going around. Going to be very hard to be top 4 with our draw.

Brisbane away
West Coast at home
Melbourne away
GWS at home
Richmond at home
Bye
Geelong away
Showdown again
Sun's away
Essendon home
Carlton away
Saints at home
West Coast away
Collingwood at home
Bulldogs away.

Pretty tough run for a team given we didn't make the finals last year.
I think you're looking at it through Round8 2019 eyes.
The draw was made on Ladder position 2018, and based on where most of those teams were, including us, it looked like a pretty good draw. This run of 5 games:
"Showdown again
Sun's away
Essendon home
Carlton away
Saints at home " is very winnable and maybe even % boosting to make a good run at the last 3 games and finals.

CrowBloke

May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
I honestly think the draw is actually a blessing. Because if we can continue to grind out the wins and be in the top 4 by the bye round, we have a genuine chance of going deep with the players still to return - Milera, Gibbs, Seeds. Then we have serious depth in Jenkins, Jacobs and JJ, Douglas, Fog, Jones, Ned.
This!
I'd prefer us to have a group of hard games vs Top 8 sides going into September. If we're good enough, we win and keep on winning.
Even so, we're a long way from that --- it's all speculation, but interesting.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Does anyone have the kms covered stats? I don't know but I would guess knight would be close to the top for us, he looks to have a job to run all day and fill gaps in the defense which is not something that would show in any other stats but a crucial cog in the machine.
Here it is. Knight up there
Screenshot_20190514-102629_AFL.jpeg
Screenshot_20190514-102704_AFL.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back