Review Review: R8 v Port Adelaide

i think they need a new creed.

"we exist to win premierships" should be "we exist"

There is only one Creed.

tenor.gif

They are very easily found - I just look in the AFL's direction (or Port although they have been outdone easily so far this year by the AFL).
Surely Dane Rampe is the weekly winner, followed by the AFL making it even messier.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Is Rockliff not that bright? On MMM today, in the last “We had the Crows where we wanted them”

Really? 7 goals down?
He meant "at Adelaide Oval". :straining:

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
i think they need a new creed.

"we exist to win premierships" should be "we exist"
That's the motto.

Port has a slogan ("We are Port Adelaide"), a motto ("We exist to win premierships and make our community proud"), a statement ("Any club worth its salt will clean out its no-hopers..."), and 'The Creed' ("We, the Players and Management of the Port Adelaide Football Club, accept the heritage which players and administrators have passed down to us...").

However, as everything Ports nowadays, they are all full of controversies: (a) the motto has been changed to be more than “win premierships;” (b) nobody can agree on the meaning of “Port Adelaide” on the slogan; (c) the club officials seem to be a bunch of no-hopers against which the statement was written; and (d) they also seem to be those disregarding The Creed the most.

It doesn't help the fact that we have played one final game and won one Showdown since the beginning of 2015. It is also bad that right after our worst Showdown loss and being kicked out of finals at home, we extended the coach's contract; worse, this very coach lead to a historically ridiculous debacle the next season. However, the club acts as if everything is fine.

As you can see, the future looks so dark on this side of the divide, that it doesn't matter whether we are wearing shades or not...

/rant

Last edited:

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
That's the motto.

Port has a slogan ("We are Port Adelaide"), a motto ("We exist to win premierships and make our community proud"), a statement ("Any club worth its salt will clean out its no-hopers..."), and 'The Creed' ("We, the Players and Management of the Port Adelaide Football Club, accept the heritage which players and administrators have passed down to us...").

However, as everything Ports nowadays, they are all full of controversies: (a) the motto has been changed to be more than “win premierships;” (b) nobody can agree on the meaning of “Port Adelaide” on the slogan; (c) the club officials seem to be a bunch of no-hopers against which the statement was written; and (d) they also seem to be those disregarding The Creed the most.

It doesn't help the fact that we have played one final game and won one Showdown since the beginning of 2015. It is also bad that right after our worst Showdown loss and being kicked out of finals at home, we extended the coach's contract; worse, this very coach lead to a historically ridiculous debacle the next season. However, the club acts as if everything is fine.

As you can see, the future looks so dark on this side of the divide, that it doesn't matter whether we are wearing shades or not...

/rant
What's your opinion on China?

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
That's the motto.

/rant
I like how your club has raised the Prison Bar jumper debate for next year and now a new logo to deflact supporter comment away from the real issue at your club, the unneeded Hinkley contract extension.

Something nice and shiny to keep the Lemmings happy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
What's your opinion on China?
Great opportunity that has "fallen" onto Port's lap. Club is right in going for it. However, we aren't executing it properly.

China is not an easy country. You must become somewhat Chinese to succeed there. We could have had better results coming out of it already.

There is time to fix it, though. We need to embrace it fullheartedly. So far, we haven't done it.

I like how your club has raised the Prison Bar jumper debate for next year and now a new logo to deflact supporter comment away from the real issue at your club, the unneeded Hinkley contract extension.

Something nice and shiny to keep the Lemmings happy.

I am afraid the club will fail in both counts.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Great opportunity that has "fallen" onto Port's lap. Club is right in going for it. However, we aren't executing it properly.

China is not an easy country. You must become somewhat Chinese to succeed there. We could have had better results coming out of it already.

There is time to fix it, though. We need to embrace it fullheartedly. So far, we haven't done it.

Anyone would think business never gets done in China the way Tealsters talk about the mystique of the Chinese market.

When in actual fact all it took for us to get a decent Chinese Southern Airways sponsorship for our Footy club (not a community program ran in Shanghai) was to treat it like a traditional sponsorship procurement.

No junkets, conventions or Footy games in Shanghai needed. And it is real dollars for our club.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Cheers. China would be an awesome opportunity if you didnt have to play there ( i know doesnt make any sense). I reckon the game negatively impacts the momentum of your season. Personally i would be pissed if the afc had to play a game in China.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Anyone would think business never gets done in China the way Tealsters talk about the mystique of the Chinese market.

When in actual fact all it took for us to get a decent Chinese Southern Airways sponsorship for our Footy club (not a community program ran in Shanghai) was to treat it like a traditional sponsorship procurement.

No junkets, conventions or Footy games in Shanghai needed. And it is real dollars for our club.
We want more than that, and Chinese opportunities have opened because of Port. You are still right, though. The approaches are not mutually exclusive, and we are failing mostly in the commercial side of things.

Cheers. China would be an awesome opportunity if you didnt have to play there ( i know doesnt make any sense). I reckon the game negatively impacts the momentum of your season. Personally i would be pissed if the afc had to play a game in China.
My background is soccer. Players cross the world and get back just to play a midweek game many times during the year. It is not too much of an issue. Port will get better at that.

Still, I've suggested taking 4 teams and playing two rounds with 2 double-headers over there to minimize this problem. I know the club has read it, at least. :-D

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
We want more than that, and Chinese opportunities have opened because of Port. You are still right, though. The approaches are not mutually exclusive, and we are failing mostly in the commercial side of things.

My background is soccer. Players cross the world and get back just to play a midweek game many times during the year. It is not too much of an issue. Port will get better at that.

Still, I've suggested taking 4 teams and playing two rounds with 2 double-headers over there to minimize this problem. I know the club has read it, at least. :-D
So three other teams are expected to have their season stuffed around just so Koch’s fantasy is remotely viable?
Please.
Thomas was very timidly suggesting that they might make a profit from China this year, might. Reading in between Keefy’s errr’s ahhh’s and ummm’s I’d suggest they won’t.
From their meagre profit last year and drop in membership and probably crowds this year, I won’t be surprised if they make a loss.

Back