Autopsy Review Saints V Bulldogs 23 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win by the boys. We were already all over the dogs before those horrible injuries happened. Hate seeing injuries like that :(

Love Mav. He's a real heart and soul player and I just love his aggression on the field.

Billings is currently out of form but he'll turn it around. He'll be a star. Bruce another out of form but his defensive work has improved massively and he always provides a contest. Just needs to get himself in better positions but he'll get his '15 form back.

Love Mav's interview after the game. Saying how the boys have clicked with the structures and Richo's game plan. We play such an exciting brand of footy. This is huge momentum to take into the pre season, it'll help lure a fish, memberships, sponsorships etc.

I'm just really proud. We've been through the worst of the rebuild and now coming through the other side and we're not even the finished product yet! The Saints are coming and it's so bloody exciting to watch! :D

Last edited:
I get the frustration by fans when we are poor, I feel the same. But when you watch a game like last night you can see we are headed in right direction. Some of our kids were wonderful last night, a couple of old heads (particularly Geary) were just unbelievable.
The most pleasing part about last nights performance is that you look at our kids and think they've got another couple of pre seasons to work on their craft and then factor in Carlisle, Longer, McCartin, Goddard, Lonie, Freeman etc and we are starting to really see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Also, Mav Weller is starting to enter Aaron Hamill tough bastard territory. What a performance after a massive head clash (and nasty chin gash) early.

It's pretty satisfying to hear flogs like Terry Wallace and David King (to some extent) just about concede they underestimated our rebuild and the quality of kids on our list.

I actually thought we got quite a good run with the umpires
Riewoldt's juggled mark over the boundary
Boyd's (I think) mark that wasn't paid at the top of the goal square
There were a number of other decisions (or non-decisions) that went our way, I got the feeling that most of the 50/50 calls went with us
There were plenty of throws and holding the ball not called but if a few bad calls go our way I don't mind so much

I get the frustration by fans when we are poor, I feel the same. But when you watch a game like last night you can see we are headed in right direction. Some of our kids were wonderful last night, a couple of old heads (particularly Geary) were just unbelievable.
The most pleasing part about last nights performance is that you look at our kids and think they've got another couple of pre seasons to work on their craft and then factor in Carlisle, Longer, McCartin, Goddard, Lonie, Freeman etc and we are starting to really see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Also, Mav Weller is starting to enter Aaron Hamill tough bastard territory. What a performance after a massive head clash (and nasty chin gash) early.
I hate to do this - but before the season started, Me,Yourself,and a few other posters were royally canned for predicting we could play finals and we would be very competitive this year.

and just like you mentioned, there is much more talent in the cupboards to still come through and plant there flag.

There were plenty of throws and holding the ball not called but if a few bad calls go our way I don't mind so much
When it comes to throws the Doggies are very close to being a Touch Rugby side. They throw more than any other team in the AFL.

No, and you should maybe watch more of him and how he positions as Billings is a naturally attacking player who, if transitioned into the back half would be exploited and otherwise mismatched into irrelevancy, if you're moving him to a flank it's the HFF as a lead up / rotation which is his current role.

Also, for those that missed it since I saw it asked in the game day thread;

Wallis' injury came with him on the burst, about to kick, which was pressured on his right as he kicked, and he ended up kicking his own left leg around the lower calf/ankle with force, went down immediately clutching the leg screaming in agony and ended up getting stretchered off. One of those unfortunate instances where a large % of the time nothing happens, but when it does the player with possession gets royally screwed because contact sport, momentum and s**t luck.

Sickening to see it.

Also thought the game was relatively even in how it was played, the Dogs didn't run us off our feet like the previous encounter and we didn't bury them and otherwise degrade the game into a slog, simply with both sides not giving and inch, our early clearance work transitioned into midfield dominance and with the Dog's also being somewhat unclean in disposals allowed us to counter better earlier in the game. When this then leveled out in the third and 4th, we had enough to hold a lead and the Dog's didn't have enough to surmount it on the day.

Team effort for sure, but Steven, Dempster and Weller had a really strong game, loved Wrights game as well as he never stops running, we still looking to break lines deep in the 4th, the mans the goddamn energizer bunny.

I don't doubt Billings is an emerging young talented player.. I'm just saying I think he might be best positioned to playing as an attacking defender, can kick and makes great decisions. Just a thought

Just on Bruce - 'second year blues', and I think it's established he doesn't have a stick pair of mitts but that's fine. Paddy is going to be our 'pack marker' of the future and once Paddy is the top of the goal square target (R1 next year) then Bruce can get out on the lead much more - which will suit him well imo, he's very mobile for his size. He's also a very accurate kick so taking marks in that 35m - 45m out zone consistently should be fine.

Also, I don't have a problem with him staying in the side all year - his pressure and chase is really good.

Last edited:
I hate to do this - but before the season started, Me,Yourself,and a few other posters were royally canned for predicting we could play finals and we would be very competitive this year.

and just like you mentioned, there is much more talent in the cupboards to still come through and plant there flag.
Stav and MG, i would love to know your thoughts on the following please:

1. Knowing what we know now, where are we short in the team i.e. a star midfielder like shiel?
2. If this is one of the final pieces do we do a collingwood this summer? 2 first rounders for him or someone similar?
3. Is sloane a chance at the end of 2018?
4. Would you prioritise hurley over a midfielder/a pick 10 in the draft?
5. Where do you see lonie, templeton goddard and mckenzie long term... because i guess depending on how we rate them determines our draft strategy right?

Sorry for the numerous questions... but would appreciate your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wanted to give a shout out to the cheer squad for a great banner as well! Would love to see efforts like this every week:

13754633_10153496825286353_2422236970681678334_n.jpg

Photo by Mark Woods

I don't doubt Billings is an emerging young talented player.. I'm just saying I think he might be best positioned to playing as an attacking defender, can kick and makes great decisions. Just a thought
Thanks Gilo with your track record he will be back to kicking goals and getting 30 disposals a game next week.
Let it go you expressed your opinion and asked a question and the people who watch him every week explained why we don't agree

Thanks Gilo with your track record he will be back to kicking goals and getting 30 disposals a game next week.
Let it go you expressed your opinion and asked a question and the people who watch him every week explained why we don't agree

I'm just saying Jack could be better utilised in other positions, who's to say can't start in defense and push forward?

ok...

was going to post before the game that this would be another milestone in our development. And it was. 3 of us via PM had along discussions in the preseason and the general mood was one of optimism towards finals. Rightly so, we have been disappointing with our interstate games and this is an area we need to work on if we are serious.

This win along with Geelong is very very important IMO. There can be no question whatsoever that we have improved this year. It takes time and preseasons into kids to go the next step.

I have a cuz who had a player fall on his knee at a young age and the end result is that it robbed him a spot in the Socceroos sqaud and the opportunity to play ina world cup. On that basis, what happened ast night was a chilling reminder of how quickly life can go pear shape. Thoughts and prayers with the 2 players.

That said, it is what it is. No one shed a tear when Lazar, Spida and Smith went down and cost us a flag in 97 or injuries to Kosi and Hammil... or Roo and Gram for that matter.

This was a great win. easy to pick hairs, but we all know that there is still a way to go in our development.

we seem to be nailing the basics of effort and hard work. The skills will come via experience and recruiting... much to look forward to next year.

For those of us old enough to remember, this has the spirit of 2003 all over again when everything started to clink into place.

Won't go into individual performances except for the following:

Surely, Hickey has to be a top 5 ruck man in the AFL? Doesn't get the same respect for some reason, but he has pretty much gone out each week and at worse broken even... and best claimed some big scalps. If as some speculate, Longer will be better then look out because he will be one the best ever.

The excuses for the Hickey knockers are dissipating on a weekly basis.

Geary: This guy has seriously improved his game to a new level that probably 99% of use wouldn't have imagined possible. Talk about alate bloomer! If we all ate the humble pie due, there'd be some obese posters on here - including myself.

The lesson? Despite our opinions, players can always improve. which is why i will not write off Nathan Wright. Let's remember that the kid has had a horrible run with injuries and not played many senior games. I hope he plays out the year and gets a new contract. Guys like him and Geary and Mav WiLL win you finals.

Bruce: Getting a heap of attention now. For the first time in a long time (Roo / Gherig) we have alternatives. If Bruce is kept quiet, up pops Skunk... or Roo. Then we'll have Paddy as well. Like I said, much to look forward to.

Have to agree with P66... it's all about the mids. Focus has to be on adding 2 quality mids over the break. If we get a defender on the cheap, then by all means.

On a final note...

When we make it back to the big dance, if we play the Dogs, then I hope Roo is still playing because you can pencil it in for a win 100%! ;)

Just wanted to give a shout out to the cheer squad for a great banner as well! Would love to see efforts like this every week:

13754633_10153496825286353_2422236970681678334_n.jpg

Photo by Mark Woods
We beat them at their own game.

I'm just saying Jack could be better utilised in other positions, who's to say can't start in defense and push forward?
Are u on the autistic spectrum we all know what your saying we all disagree.
We already have fantastic kicks in defence Webster, Savage, Newnes are our best by foot and Geary is the best shut down medium defender going around.

Kidding

They killed us

Look where the frees are paid as well .

Eg .Central umpire calls the whole ball out of the full from 40 metres Montagna questions decision
50 goal ..
Redpath misses the ball kicking in goal square Savage tackle again another goal.

Gresham did exactly what Clay Smith did 10 times in 1st half kicks goal disallowed in the back
With Boyd decision watch what happened before it Roberton gets taken out even the biased commentary
said that is clearly a free...we get killed by umpires stats don't lie .

Every game we win is on merit .

It was our pressure all over the ground that won the game .
I have no doubt that our pressure won us the game. I am the last person to melt over umpiring decisions.

The Montagna 50 was there, every day of the week. That ball was OOF anyway (doesn't really matter where the ump was, if he was right), Montagna was wasting time, was asked 3 times to give it back. The 50 wasn't for questioning the decision, it was for not giving the ball back.

Gresham give away was there also. Sounds like you'd prefer the umps to keep getting them wrong (if Clay Smith indeed got away with it 10 times as you say), rather than get them right ... weird.

Are u on the autistic spectrum we all know what your saying we all disagree.
We already have fantastic kicks in defence Webster, Savage, Newnes are our best by foot and Geary is the best shut down medium defender going around.

Only reason I had this thought was because watching Rick Weller, think he has ability more so to impact the scoreboard as a mid. I think similar with Jack Steven

Luke Dunstan one I'm also 50/50 on with best position. Would just like to see good defensive mids that have good ability to move ball forward. Feel Blake Acres will take Billings spot on the outside and want saints to utilise all these mids at their best positions as only thing I question about Richardson as a senior coach is getting full productivity out of all mids at any one time

I have no doubt that our pressure won us the game. I am the last person to melt over umpiring decisions.

Gresham give away was there also. Sounds like you'd prefer the umps to keep getting them wrong (if Clay Smith indeed got away with it 10 times as you say), rather than get them right ... weird.

Id say he wants consistency. So do I.

And don't forget Hickey who is having a 'nice' season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back