Review Review v Collingwood

Top 5?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I went with Robinson, Hipwood, Berry and Robertson.

Considering how poor we were tonight the margin wasn't all that bad in the end.

Pies did a good job of shutting us down after quarter time. Margin could have been higher.

Hodge and Rich a bit quiet. Lots of small errors in backline cost us.

Zorko very quiet. Greenwood giving him a clip while he was down injured was not a great act.

Big shift in momentum when Dizzy went off.

Christensen’s ball skills were poor tonight.

A bit surprised at the knocks on Collingwood, they are a step below Richmond but could definitely see them making a GF.

We played quite woeful for three quarters and lost by 30. s**t happens. It's bad but not "leave at 3QT" bad as some would suggest.

Berry with an inspiring game. Hipwood was great and exposed their lack of size. Beams was solid without being great (which given his stats goes to show he has lofty standards). Witherden used the ball Better than any of our defenders and King can * himself for ragging in him all game.

Really, it was sloppy turnovers that cost us the game. Combine that with a team full of young blokes who had off games and it = a loss. The year is well and truly wrapping up, hopefully we knock off the Sun's and test the Eagles.

Midfield went missing and Collingwood capitalised. Hard day out for the backs.

Free kicks ended at 22-14 but close to the end it was sitting a 22-11 so 3 quick ones so it looks a bit better in the stats page.

Umpires will never get it spot on - game is too fast for that, but that difference means all 50/50 calls that were made were going against us. Umpires are affected by the crowd except when in qld.

I reckon having 3 tall forwards is just too many. The Collingwood were walking it out of there for most of the game. Either take one out or play them up the wing
Yep, couldn't agree more and said so earlier. Need more harassment and pressure in the forward half.

Or magically bring back Charlie now to play at their feet.
Cameron actually wasn't harrassing as much this year as he normally does so his defensive pressure was slightly down. Offensively he was better tho. I still think 3 is too many. But Big O is developing really nicely so it is a hard one

Not sure Coach Fagan has a plan B nor appreciates that we’ve been playing too tall for most the year now.

I think we've rolled with that in the name of development. I think we'll go back to two next year or look at a third tall. Would have really helped having Charlie up there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cameron actually wasn't harrassing as much this year as he normally does so his defensive pressure was slightly down. Offensively he was better tho. I still think 3 is too many. But Big O is developing really nicely so it is a hard one

Yeah - we can’t drop O cause we need him to get games for development but he isn’t good enough to let us drop one of the others. Difficult. Maybe we need a great top of the game type small forward to move to Brisbane. Hodge might not have made the call, but now the idea has been put out there he could give it a go. Don’t try, won’t fly.

Blew our chances in the first quarter followed by 3 quarters of one sided, biased, disgraceful, crowd effected umpiring that erased any hope we had. What ever her name is lead the way and is obviously concerned about her popularity because you cannot be that bad unless your trying.

You cannot win under those circumstances and Fagan needs to "seek some clarification" if that's how you say it without getting fined.

It started with just ignoring the fact Zorko took a clear cut mark in front of goal and got progressively worse. I am honestly dumbfounded.
Yep any momentum we had the umps took it off us.
Same s**t as the richmond game, and the comentry was f...g disgraceful.
Afl you suck.
And we all thought rich was bad at busting a tag, zorks was unsightable most of the game.
Draft another big mid that is going to do the job , might give berry a little help.

A poor night overall - smashed in the midfield after quarter time. Hippy, Stef, Mitch, Berry and, despite some poor disposal, Christensen. Looked dangerous when we had deep entries. We need midfielders, midfielders, midfielders...

Not sure Coach Fagan has a plan B nor appreciates that we’ve been playing too tall for most the year now.

I'd imagine he's trying out combinations to ensure that we have a good feel for our capabilities from next season onwards. Hence why we played a completely different gamestyle

Yeah I feel flat - just attended that. Look forward to another unsuccessful Melbourne showing next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only advantage of being a Melbourne based supporter is that you haven’t had this experience every second week of the season for years. I have been relieved to have had legitimate reason for not attending the odd game.

Glad we all made the effort to attend every Lions game again this year.:rolleyes:

How many wins in Melbourne the last 3-4 years has it been 3KZ is Football ?

No doubt all this talk of Beams leaving has had a positive impact. Good on him for dispelling any talk. He really may as well tell the club now a la Tom Lynch and stop wasting everyone’s time so we can play someone who will be here next year.
2 wins in the last 3 years Dylan. Makes my Victorian Family Membership a fairly low returning investment. No doubt I’ll stump up again and attend every Lions game in Melbourne in 2019.

Couldn't watch the game live due to travel, but listened to the radio stream. Bit surprised with the comments as it didn't sound so bad on the commentary, more that Collingwood - a team very much in the race for top 4 - just generally had the edge from quarter time. Dunno, will have to watch the game tonight. Beams sounded good. Need to work on our tackling as only Zorko and Berry with more than 3 and helping players who are under a tag, by sounds of things.

Last edited:
The afl keeps stats for absolutely everything except one glaring absent one: Direct Goals resulting from free kicks.
No ramifications for the umpires out there tonight. Take out the last 2 minutes it’s 22-11 and a fair chunk of those 22 ended in goals.

Despite the above we were smashed between the arcs. Outnumbered and outworked all night. Berry witherden votes only.

Back