Review Review v Collingwood

Top 5?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember when people were saying Elani was the best umpire in the league a couple of weeks ago? Hahaha

Ahhh yes. She was the one standing right in front of the big O when the Pies player tossed it 20m past him...and no free, right? And that was moments after Grundy bear hugged Stef from behind and just pulled him to ground - again, no free, and it was probably the most blatant hold in the entire match.

I hope David King goes home happy tonight after multiple attacks on a 19 year old kid. Its about time they ditched those idiots and just have a caller and a boundary rider.

Ben Dixon seemed to be the lone voice actually giving us any credit whatsoever. Liked hearing him speak and break up the monologue from the other 4 Collingwood sycophants in the commentary box.

Nick Robertson
Frees for: 0
Frees against: 5

Love Nick but that's not good enough. Been frustrating the hell outta me lately.

2 highly dubious free kicks against him that I can remember there - the one where he tackled someone on the boundary, and they called him for that (being too rough) but really, there was nothing in it.

And the other where he chopped De Goey's arms/made a bit of contact when De Goey took a mark in the F50 - again, nothing in it and it was just the umps looking to give a free kick on both occasions IMHO.

Apart from Berry I thought everyone had their colours lowered (not including Gardiner). Severely lacking in the midfield and to add to that our basic skill level was shocking tonight.

Long season young team. Kicked in earlier last year. Only a few rounds left including last night. I thought the young boys may be running short of steam. Won’t be a problem next year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ahhh yes. She was the one standing right in front of the big O when the Pies player tossed it 20m past him...and no free, right? And that was moments after Grundy bear hugged Stef from behind and just pulled him to ground - again, no free, and it was probably the most blatant hold in the entire match.
And don't forget the Zorko mark (I think it was in the first) that they didn't pay.

I think this played a big part in it, and is part of the reason I'm very nervous about next week. So many close games without the ultimate reward, when many of our heavy lifters are only in their 1st to 3rd seasons, leaves me concerned that in the second last week we'll just have run out of puff.

I’m not so concerned where we end up this year. It’s clear we’ve made significant progress. Another off season and natural progression we rise from here fairly rapidly I think. The silver lining is a classier player come the draft. Either way we’re in good shape from here.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And don't forget the Zorko mark (I think it was in the first) that they didn't pay.

I missed the first quarter as I was at work. Heard all about it though...sounds like a carbon copy of a couple weeks back when Zorko (or was it Robertson) took that blatant open mark directly in front of goal and wasn't paid for it either. How the f**k can the umpires not see that?!?!

• Didn't take chances in first quarter to run up a score
  • Loss of Gardner couldn't be covered
  • Unable to stop Collingwood's momentum
  • Heads started dropping in that 3rd quarter which is something we haven't seen in quite some time
Those are the main reasons for our loss but it is not the end of the world that some people are portraying.

Also I hope Greenwood is fined for either of kneeing Zorko when he was clearly injured or bumping him when he was trying to get off the ground with a trainer next to him.

Next week:
Out : Gardner (Inj), Starc (had a taste of it, hasn't been bad, but not quite ready yet), Matho (could be the no frills blue collar ball extractor, but effort and ability to will himself to the next contest not there. Haven't given up on him yet though).
In : Lester, Bailey, Keays

The main reason for the loss was winning about a third of the clearances and getting smashed in contested possessions after quarter time. We were never going to be able to match their run and spread or their quick forwards so we had to at least break even in the middle.

Players have been fined before for bumping injured players so I hope he does.

Rich is cooked. Simply refused to get into contest after contest. Tended to move around the periphery of the action when the ball was in dispute, was slow and got found out time and again. His time is fast approaching. Robertson is a very limited footballer and while he tries, he gets found out too often. I would be very happy to have a clean out at the end of toohe season and get rid of Rich, Lester, Bastinac, Bell, Bewick and Taylor. They have become list cloggers of little value.
Rich, Bastinac and Taylor are contracted and unless traded are not going anywhere. If they're delisted we still have to pay their contracts. Better off keeping them on the list and when better players are drafted or traded - they play 2's.

Bell and Bewick are gone and thank them for their service.

Lester and Walker, well IMO it all depends on how many draft picks we want on draft night. If we have identified some picks that will cost us a lot they may be gone, as you can only take as many picks to draft as list spots available.

Just my 2 cents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this played a big part in it, and is part of the reason I'm very nervous about next week. So many close games without the ultimate reward, when many of our heavy lifters are only in their 1st to 3rd seasons, leaves me concerned that in the second last week we'll just have run out of puff.

And being over confident could kill us. We should beat the suns by a massive margin. Will be a test of fagans ability to manage pre game mood and maintain focus on process and not the win.

Last edited:
  • Didn't take chances in first quarter to run up a score
  • Loss of Gardner couldn't be covered
  • Unable to stop Collingwood's momentum
  • Heads started dropping in that 3rd quarter which is something we haven't seen in quite some time
Those are the main reasons for our loss but it is not the end of the world that some people are portraying.

Also I hope Greenwood is fined for either of kneeing Zorko when he was clearly injured or bumping him when he was trying to get off the ground with a trainer next to him.

Next week:
Out : Gardner (Inj), Starc (had a taste of it, hasn't been bad, but not quite ready yet), Matho (could be the no frills blue collar ball extractor, but effort and ability to will himself to the next contest not there. Haven't given up on him yet though).
In : Lester, Bailey, Keays

Greenwood on Zorko was an appalling lack of sportsmanship. What a grub.

2 highly dubious free kicks against him that I can remember there - the one where he tackled someone on the boundary, and they called him for that (being too rough) but really, there was nothing in it.

And the other where he chopped De Goey's arms/made a bit of contact when De Goey took a mark in the F50 - again, nothing in it and it was just the umps looking to give a free kick on both occasions IMHO.
Wasn't too rough just tackled the Collingwood player well after the ball had gone over the boundary line.

A different era but not as bad as what Chris Scott and Mal Michael did to Nick Riewoldt many moons ago.
Different perspective - Riewoldt waved off the trainer and was playing on. Zorko got up, stood in place for a bit, and then headed to the bench. If Zorko had stayed on and gotten involved in the play it would've been like Riewoldt, but he didn't.

Rich, Bastinac and Taylor are contracted and unless traded are not going anywhere. If they're delisted we still have to pay their contracts. Better off keeping them on the list and when better players are drafted or traded - they play 2's.

Bell and Bewick are gone and thank them for their service.

Lester and Walker, well IMO it all depends on how many draft picks we want on draft night. If we have identified some picks that will cost us a lot they may be gone, as you can only take as many picks to draft as list spots available.

Just my 2 cents.
Contracted players we try to offload. If nobody wants them, they play Reserves all season and help with development of kids like Amon Buchanan did.

Last edited:
That was a very disappointing night after such a promising start.

There were many things to be annoyed about but I was very disappointed in McStay’s effort tonight - especially in the last quarter where he gave up on 2 contests. Starting to wonder whether we are better to trade him and look elsewhere.

Like when the ball was kicked to the wing and Steele Sidebottom (180cm) out bodied McStay and took a contested mark. McStay didn't even appear to care. Soon as Sidebottom took his kick he was off and running - McStay just wandered off - never even got into a trot. I would excuse him if he was exhausted from all the chasing and 1% he does - but he doesn't do any of that.

People one here saying Oscar should be dropped. I saw him offer himself as a target on numerous occasions as the get out kick down the wing. He never stopped presenting. McStay might have more raw ability but give me Oscar's work rate ever day.

Like when the ball was kicked to the wing and Steele Sidebottom (180cm) out bodied McStay and took a contested mark. McStay didn't even appear to care. Soon as Sidebottom took his kick he was off and running - McStay just wandered off - never even got into a trot. I would excuse him if he was exhausted from all the chasing and 1% he does - but he doesn't do any of that.

People one here saying Oscar should be dropped. I saw him offer himself as a target on numerous occasions as the get out kick down the wing. He never stopped presenting. McStay might have more raw ability but give me Oscar's work rate ever day.

You’d rather someone who runs heaps but does little over someone who runs less but impacts the game more?

Most frustrating loss of the year for me. Umpiring, poor. How can you miss a mark, holding/dropping the ball non existant for the pies. First qtr very good, 2nd ok, 3rd very poor, 4th held on but still poor. Kept trying but a lot of panicky errors crept in. Gotta stop that pointless kick in to the back pocket, gotta be able to counteract the oppositions adjustment to our game plan. Matho n n robbo have gotta stop letting their frustrations affect their game resulting in silly free kicks. Gotta get more pace into our backlines. Withers has gotta use the ball better, be a bit less risky. While beams racks up touches, there were many poor disposals and disposals to players under pressure. He hardly takes the game by the scruff of the neck these days. Plenty of the other senior players weren't up to scratch either. Not calling for wholesale changes, one ordinary game doesn't warrant it. I would however bring bailey in for starcevich, he will be good but just not quite ready. How do we replace darcy, frost has been rewarded lately by being named as an emergency, does he get further reward with a game. Do we give skinner a shot for the last cpl of games or do we bring in cox for more pace n run. I really would like to see him get the benefit of playing n learning from hodge.

You’d rather someone who runs heaps but does little over someone who runs less but impacts the game more?

I would rather someone who demands the ball by leading for it and not standing still and just hoping to take a big mark in a one on one contest. Answer me this how many marks have you seen McStay take on the lead from the goal square?

No good blaming umpires (free kicks are missed both ways) they don't make you miss shots for goal, kick to the opposition, handball to no-one when under pressure (real or perceived) drop marks or miss tackles

I enjoyed the game, (normally I would change channel at 3/4 time) but I stuck it out
Feel we missed our opportunity when we dominated the first

Back