Review Review v Collingwood

Top 5?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Like when the ball was kicked to the wing and Steele Sidebottom (180cm) out bodied McStay and took a contested mark. McStay didn't even appear to care. Soon as Sidebottom took his kick he was off and running - McStay just wandered off - never even got into a trot. I would excuse him if he was exhausted from all the chasing and 1% he does - but he doesn't do any of that.

People one here saying Oscar should be dropped. I saw him offer himself as a target on numerous occasions as the get out kick down the wing. He never stopped presenting. McStay might have more raw ability but give me Oscar's work rate ever day.
McStay is massively overrated. Plays like an underage footballer.

Different perspective - Riewoldt waved off the trainer and was playing on. Zorko got up, stood in place for a bit, and then headed to the bench. If Zorko had stayed on and gotten involved in the play it would've been like Riewoldt, but he didn't.
They had vision of the Zorko/Greenwood incident on Game Day, IMO there was nothing in it, it was an absolute feather touch on Zorks when he was bent over winded, wouldn't have bruised a grape.

The main reason for the loss was winning about a third of the clearances and getting smashed in contested possessions after quarter time. We were never going to be able to match their run and spread or their quick forwards so we had to at least break even in the middle.

Players have been fined before for bumping injured players so I hope he does.

We got beaten not having presentable targets up forward...We should have been a lot further up in that 1st quarter.. We had a lot of opportunities where we just didn't capitalize on...

I would rather someone who demands the ball by leading for it and not standing still and just hoping to take a big mark in a one on one contest. Answer me this how many marks have you seen McStay take on the lead from the goal square?

Dunno but I do remember the mark when Hipwood backed back and took a mark about 25m out from goals. McStay started just in front of him and lead dragging Hipwoods opponent allowing Hippy to just drop back in the hole and take a mark straight in front of goals 25m out.

I think he could probably lead more but I definitely wouldn't call him lazy and I think our forward setup has looked far more dangerous than it has for a while and he's a big part of that

We got beaten not having presentable targets up forward...We should have been a lot further up in that 1st quarter.. We had a lot of opportunities where we just didn't capitalize on...

Our slow ball movement and Collingwood flooding back certainly didn't help

Our slow ball movement and Collingwood flooding back certainly didn't help

That slow ball movement was hesitation not taking the opportunities when presented...Take nothing away from Collingwood their pressure was a factor... On several occasions Witherden (He wasn't alone) stalled and took a short chip looking for the switch rather than a longer option...

That slow ball movement was hesitation not taking the opportunities when presented...Take nothing away from Collingwood their pressure was on On several occasions Witherden (He wasn't alone) stalled and took a short chip looking for the switch rather than a longer option.

Collingwood really clogged up the field in the second quarter onwards and I don't think we knew how to adapt. Or more so, we knew the theory but couldn't execute it due to lack of experience and high pressure.

I think our KPFs had decent games, but we didn't have the forward pressure we needed when the ball hit the ground. Definitely missed Cameron.

In terms of changes, I'm not sure we should look at doing anything too drastic.

If we assume Dizzy is out, I'd look at giving Dawson his chance. Even if he are going to delist him, he could fill the third tall defender role well enough. If not him, then Hinge will debut.

I'd also look at using this game to potentially give Ballenden a debut, pop him up forward in lieu of Oscar and maybe give O or Martin a rest.

As easy as it would be to say we should drop Starc, one thing that absolutely stood out this week as it has many weeks in the NEAFL is his effectiveness with the ball. He had the pill 7 times and set up 3 scoring shots. If you go back and look at the quality of his disposals, I think most will see the potential we have with this kid. The big issue is getting the pill more, but I see the Sun's as the perfect opponent to do that compared to the high pressure Roos and Pies.

In: Dawson/Hinge, Ballenden
Out: Gardiner, Oscar/Martin

I love Rich but he was extremely disappointing yesterday - just too slow and lacked any hard running when required. Needs a huge pre-season and hopefully one of Allison/Hinge takes his spot so he can be pushed into the mids

Taylor is another who needs to improve quickly or he's gone. This isn't the first time he's done some stupid s**t which lost us the momentum

On a positive note Starc looks good - super clean in traffic today. Think he had 3-4 score involvements with only 7 touches

Collingwood really clogged up the field in the second quarter onwards and I don't think we knew how to adapt. Or more so, we knew the theory but couldn't execute it due to lack of experience and high pressure.

I think our KPFs had decent games, but we didn't have the forward pressure we needed when the ball hit the ground. Definitely missed Cameron.

Yep...They'll trouble a few teams...Covering De Goey with Robertson after Darcey went down wasn't our best move...

Yep...They'll trouble a few teams...Covering De Goey with Robertson after Darcey went down wasn't our best move...

I'd argue it was our best move, which is the worrying part. If Dizzy goes down, we currently have nobody with the skill set to stop a medium marking tall. Robbo matches up well against running machines but blokes like De Goey are a complete mismatch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of changes, I'm not sure we should look at doing anything too drastic.

If we assume Dizzy is out, I'd look at giving Dawson his chance. Even if he are going to delist him, he could fill the third tall defender role well enough. If not him, then Hinge will debut.

I'd also look at using this game to potentially give Ballenden a debut, pop him up forward in lieu of Oscar and maybe give O or Martin a rest.

As easy as it would be to say we should drop Starc, one thing that absolutely stood out this week as it has many weeks in the NEAFL is his effectiveness with the ball. He had the pill 7 times and set up 3 scoring shots. If you go back and look at the quality of his disposals, I think most will see the potential we have with this kid. The big issue is getting the pill more, but I see the Sun's as the perfect opponent to do that compared to the high pressure Roos and Pies.

In: Dawson/Hinge, Ballenden
Out: Gardiner, Oscar/Martin

Surely playing 2 debutants is doing something pretty drastic at selection

I'd argue it was our best move, which is the worrying part. If Dizzy goes down, we currently have nobody with the skill set to stop a medium marking tall. Robbo matches up well against running machines but blokes like De Goey are a complete mismatch.

I'm the opposite...I felt we were a tagger down in the midfield rotation and as a result, they started to get on top of us in clearances...I would have liked McStay to have moved back, who has arguably played his best football next to Andrews in defence...

Surely playing 2 debutants is doing something pretty drastic at selection

Really depends on how we see where they're at in terms of development. I agree it's unlikely but not impossible. Although it wouldn't surprise me if we go in with one change and focus on the win more than blooding some youth.

Really depends on how we see where they're at in terms of development. I agree it's unlikely but not impossible. Although it wouldn't surprise me if we go in with one change and focus on the win more than blooding some youth.

I think if we’re focused on the win we’ll make more than one change but maybe we won’t learn from our mistakes.

Ahhh yes. She was the one standing right in front of the big O when the Pies player tossed it 20m past him...and no free, right? And that was moments after Grundy bear hugged Stef from behind and just pulled him to ground - again, no free, and it was probably the most blatant hold in the entire match.

And the one who missed the walker shove and the one who paid the tiggy touchwood 50 (that were ignored all night) in front of the Pies cheers squad to give them ANOTHER goal from a free. And the one who doesent understand holding the ball. Her mates where equally as bad. She really put on a show for joffa and his mates in their forward 50.

Watched the game with a few Collingwood mates and they agreed we got a bit screwed by the umps. They were pretty inconsistent in which way they made calls. At the same time that didn't cost us. More some poor skills and getting killed in the middle. Adams and co killed us. Gardiner going down was unlucky and I thought NRobbo tried but not his natural game and was exploited a bit.

Really needed to nail those early goals. The first quarter cost us in not building a good lead

No good blaming umpires (free kicks are missed both ways) they don't make you miss shots for goal, kick to the opposition, handball to no-one when under pressure (real or perceived) drop marks or miss tackles

I enjoyed the game, (normally I would change channel at 3/4 time) but I stuck it out
Feel we missed our opportunity when we dominated the first

Im not blaming umpires, I am often the one posting like you are above, I did last week. Its didnt effect the outcome in the slightest. Was just a confused, biased, inexcusabley bad display of officiating.

We also sucked for 3 quarters.

Im not blaming umpires, I am often the one posting like you are above, I did last week. Its didnt effect the outcome in the slightest. Was just a confused, biased, inexcusabley bad display of officiating.

We also sucked for 3 quarters.

It’s strange how people confuse others saying the umpires did a bad job with them saying the umpires were the only reason we lost

Like when the ball was kicked to the wing and Steele Sidebottom (180cm) out bodied McStay and took a contested mark. McStay didn't even appear to care. Soon as Sidebottom took his kick he was off and running - McStay just wandered off - never even got into a trot. I would excuse him if he was exhausted from all the chasing and 1% he does - but he doesn't do any of that.

Yep that was one of the examples - the other was a 50/50 ball kicked to him and Maynard in the forward line late in the last quarter and he didn’t even try to get the ball.

I am a fan of McStay but aside from a couple of goals he had a dirty night.Started at our first inside 50.Oscar was always goingto mark it which he did.McStay took out the defender unecessarily goal lost.He turned over the ball on at least two othrr occasions when he was in the back half leading directly to goals.
By the way what are these miniscule kicks we are doing in defence.Lot of them well under 15 metres and often to a player under pressure.Just get rid of it mentality asserting itself?

Back