Review Review v Collingwood

Top 5?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

And you support the Lions?
Now you're just being a dick. Or do you expect the Lions to have gotten no new supporters in the last 13 years?

Don't know what incident you're talking about but if they were pushing/shoving a bloke limping off with a leg injury who was struggling to even stand up straight, yes that is a dog act.
Could've made the injury worse.
Riewoldt injured his shoulder but tried to play on, so quite different to someone not taking part in the play and trying to head off the field.

Well if you blame him for everything anyone in our team over 190cm does wrong then I guess you would want to trade him out.

Just shows how some people get stuck with a whipping boy when it twists their recollection of the game so much.

You're the last person to preaching this I would have thought. You have got stuck into more players than anyone on here over time. Yet you want to stick up for McStay who has kicked 20 goals for the year playing Full Forward. That's an average of ONE.

I don't doubt he has ability - we can all see it but if you can't see that he doesn't work hard enough or isn't prepared to do the team things than expect more 1/2 goal games.

Next year will be his 6th year. I would hope the penny starts to drop that he has to do more. Hipwood in his 3rd year has kicked 36 goals and dare I say it probably takes the better defender and doesn't get the easy over the top goals that McStay does.

Now you're just being a dick. Or do you expect the Lions to have gotten no new supporters in the last 13 years?
It was an iconic moment in the game / Lions history. How could any self-respecting Lions fan seriously have not come across that incident unless you’d been supporting the club for like 5 minutes?

You're the last person to preaaching this I would have thought. You have got stuck into more players than anyone on here over time. Yet you want to stick up for McStay who has kicked 20 goals for the year playing Full Forward. That's an average of ONE.

I don't doubt he has ability - we can all see it but if you can't see that he doesn't work hard enough or isn't prepared to do the team things than expect more 1/2 goal games.

Next year will be his 6th year. I would hope the penny starts to drop that he has to do more. Hipwood in his 3rd year has kicked 36 goals and dare I say it probably takes the better defender and doesn't get the easy over the top goals that McStay does.

McStay hasn't played full forward - his role has largely been as a marking target/3rd tall. Honestly Big O probably has lined up at full forward as much as McStay. I think everyone would agree that he can be inconsistent, but lots of talls take longer than 5 years to get that consistency and McStay has played at most 2 of those 5 years up forward.

Worth mentioning too that the 20 goal figure has come from 16 games and he hasn't played forward in all of those. He's also our leading contested mark winner. I suspect if he had sorted his kicking for goal issues earlier in the year that number would be a fair bit higher too and people wouldn't be so frustrated by him.

Like all our players he has areas to work on but I'm nowhere near as worried about McStay as I am about our midfield. All of our forwards would look way better if we won clearances far more consistently, and our mids didn't go missing for entire quarters. Honestly if we don't re-sign him soon I think he will be a big target for other clubs because his contested marking ability is pretty uncommon in the competition.

It was an iconic moment in the game / Lions history. How could any self-respecting Lions fan seriously have not come across that incident unless you’d been supporting the club for like 5 minutes?

Really mate, there's no need to be a dick as Dlanod said.

It really wasn't. Not knowing about the threepeat, sure. Michael and Scott running into Riewoldt's shoulder will be well-known to those of us following at the time because of the resulting shitfight but I think it might have been mentioned twice outside of the BF Lions/Saints boards in the last dozen years.

You're the last person to preaching this I would have thought. You have got stuck into more players than anyone on here over time. Yet you want to stick up for McStay who has kicked 20 goals for the year playing Full Forward. That's an average of ONE.

21 goals in 14 games playing forward which is 1.5 a game.

And it’s the second paragraph that we’re poles apart on.

I think Hipwood would’ve played more games as a forward and Hipwood is the number 1 target and I’m sure McStay does more to help out Hipwood than the other way around.

Also, it’s not like we have better options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing that i found annoying was when hipwood was standing next to his opponent in front of us the height difference he had on his opponent was a fair bit. When the Big O was standing next to his opponent his height difference he had was massive. I can't really remember during the game when these guys had the opportunity to go one on one with their opponents. Whether thats collingwoods pressure or the structures they put in their defense, but time and time and time again we had our big blokes all competing together in the same aerial contest. Hopefully over a period of time we learn to isolate these situations as that should have been our strength last night, because the amount of times we all competed together and then collingwood picked up the ground ball last night was immense.
1) As people have said first quarter opportunities we squandered cost us dearly ( 22 inside 50 to collingwoods 6 i think it was .) WOW.
2) Turnover mistakes which costs goals. The worse part is when we are trying to kick the ball 15-20 metres only and we turn it over.
3) I am not a massive fan of Nick Robbo but geez his copping a bit from last night. Not much he could do on alot of occasions last night. When he went onto umpires favourite (Dogoey) i was pannicking already but geez our midfielders did not help much with the ease in which collingwood could deliver the ball inside their 50.

We as fans underestimated the Pies, they have answered every challenge so far this season, despite their injury toll. They look top 4.
Lol what challenges have they answered? They've won 1 game against a top 8 side this season, and that Dee's side hasn't beaten a top 8 side at all this year. Their average losing margin against the sides that are actually in the top 4 is over 5 goals. If you wanna talk about challenges faced talk about West Coast beating the Pies at the 'G for the first time in 23 years, or the Giants with their huge injury list still winning against top 4 sides.

Even some advocating trading McStay which is kooky talk. How long did it take guys like Hawkins and Darling to reach their current level. McStay will be a dominant forward in a year or two.

Sorry to intrude but Darling was a gun early and kicked 53 goals in his second season... McStay has managed 52 goals in total in 5 seasons.

Sorry to intrude but Darling was a gun early and kicked 53 goals in his second season... McStay has managed 52 goals in total in 5 seasons.

McStay has also played back for he better part of 4 years while Darlings second season was playing for a 15 win, top 8 Eagles. Doesn't take away from the fact Darling is a gun, but the two players circumstances are completely different.

It really wasn't. Not knowing about the threepeat, sure. Michael and Scott running into Riewoldt's shoulder will be well-known to those of us following at the time because of the resulting shitfight but I think it might have been mentioned twice outside of the BF Lions/Saints boards in the last dozen years.
nah its a famous moment imo - smashing what was supposed to be the beginning of St Kilda's golden era and reducing their star young player to tears was one was one of the moments that defined how ruthless that team was imo. I think most people watching AFL then would have remembered that incident.

nah its a famous moment imo - smashing what was supposed to be the beginning of St Kilda's golden era and reducing their star young player to tears was one was one of the moments that defined how ruthless that team was imo. I think most people watching AFL then would have remembered that incident.

I honestly think it was the last great showing of the brutal clinical Lions team and the making of Nick Riewoldt into the champion he became. That match was round 1 in 2005 and the met again in round 22, Riewoldt kicked 6 and took 14 marks and led them to a 139 point win.

I honestly think it was the last great showing of the brutal clinical Lions team and the making of Nick Riewoldt into the champion he became. That match was round 1 in 2005 and the met again in round 22, Riewoldt kicked 6 and took 14 marks and led them to a 139 point win.
Yeah Reiwoldt did cry (apparently collar bones are very painful) but he was arguably the most courageous player of his generation imo. I think the incident highlighted that talent only gets you so far. That St Kilda side had enough talent to win premierships but never had the killer instinct that champion teams like Brisbane had. Ross Lyon's coaching changed things a bit but by that time they had lost a lot of their talent.

In hindsight we should not have poked the bear

Yeah Reiwoldt did cry (apparently collar bones are very painful) but he was arguably the most courageous player of his generation imo. I think the incident highlighted that talent only gets you so far. That St Kilda side had enough talent to win premierships but never had the killer instinct that champion teams like Brisbane had. Ross Lyon's coaching changed things a bit but by that time they had lost a lot of their talent.

Back then Saints were seen as a team of blue chip talent and Geelong were more of a hard working blue collar team. Saints were destined to win flags. To be fair though they came close

The thing that i found annoying was when hipwood was standing next to his opponent in front of us the height difference he had on his opponent was a fair bit. When the Big O was standing next to his opponent his height difference he had was massive. I can't really remember during the game when these guys had the opportunity to go one on one with their opponents. Whether thats collingwoods pressure or the structures they put in their defense, but time and time and time again we had our big blokes all competing together in the same aerial contest. Hopefully over a period of time we learn to isolate these situations as that should have been our strength last night, because the amount of times we all competed together and then collingwood picked up the ground ball last night was immense.
1) As people have said first quarter opportunities we squandered cost us dearly ( 22 inside 50 to collingwoods 6 i think it was .) WOW.
2) Turnover mistakes which costs goals. The worse part is when we are trying to kick the ball 15-20 metres only and we turn it over.
3) I am not a massive fan of Nick Robbo but geez his copping a bit from last night. Not much he could do on alot of occasions last night. When he went onto umpires favourite (Dogoey) i was pannicking already but geez our midfielders did not help much with the ease in which collingwood could deliver the ball inside their 50.
Always concerned about having a short defender as a forward coach

Back