Review Review v Freo - Rd 13, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Lyons boasts they are the best 4th quarter team in the comp.....well I guess he’s allowed to boast.
But why this year are we allowing oppo forwards to kick so many goals on us and have their best game of the year?
What is up with our defence? I thought it was one of the best in the comp once.
Probably has to do with plan B

I'd love to hear that we've asked for a please explain on the umpiring inconsistencies, especially involving Walters. Also that there is someone (anyone) at the club who's actually hurting about tossing away yet another season despite having a top 4 list.
Even when Timmy was fuming a few weeks ago during the game he was insipid when interviewing.

Kane, losing his opponent with his speed inside 50. What does ken do? Isolate him one on one deep so there's no chance it could happen again

Recruit Motlop for his run skill and goalkicking... what does he do? Persists with playing Motlop as a centre inside running mid where he sucks so bad he becomes a shell of the player he could be.

Westhoff wins a b n f playing wing floating to hbf. Plays him as a kf even months after his forms deteriorated

Plays 2 rucks to dominate the ruck contest but get spanked by a baby in the fourth while we have a superstar young ruck dominating sanfl

Plays sam gray into f/s territory as a marking forward despite him being ****, and having two actual marking forwards in the sanfl.

Ken is literally the dumbest dumbest coach I've ever seen.
Yeah it's like the 🤡 thinks to himself...
Hmmmm how can I f*** up our supporters hope of a win today.....oooo I know I know...

I will make the sole responsibility of kicking matchwinning goals to the most inexperienced player/toughest position on our team and instead of playing to his advantage we will bomb it on his head ....boom PlayStation muthf****rs. giphy (2).gif

Last edited:

W

What a fwd that was averaging a goal a game last year before injury, shanking goals in front? A notorious mid who misses targets under pressure. And an unfit/injured inside mid whos disposal efficiency is deplorable even with high number of hand passes. Throw in an ageing mid who has hardly put up a yelp since coming to port. Would have made no difference. They were on field many games under same circumstances to do exactly same thing.
God this is so true. Thank you for being clear on it. Every single one of them their excuse is another player wasn't in the team, or didn't do their job, or screen them.

I like how Dixon is now seen as the player that will straighten us up and allow our coaches to stop using smalls one out as the lone forward.

Really? Is my memory that bad?

Fwiw nothing against Dixon as a player does what he is instructed to do, just trying to work out if my memory is still working.
For those who can't remember. Dixon did the following

Choked vs Geelong, threw the hot potato to westhoff who fell over

Missed sitters, year after year.

Stood there like a tree with both arms out for the defenders to climb up him. For 2 seasons.

Got some mongrel going by running to the D50 line within 3 minutes of a game starting, marking it, and hoofing it to Sam Gray.

Otherwise uninspiring but we always excused his injury.

Sorry, the guy ain't that good. And I think he is a really dumb footballer

Stood there like a tree with both arms out for the defenders to climb up him. For 2 seasons.

Got some mongrel going by running to the D50 line within 3 minutes of a game starting, marking it, and hoofing it to Sam Gray.

He isn’t the solution that’s for sure.

I cried on the bigfooty podcast in 15 we had players who lacked composure, it still rings true now.

'Ken Hinkley was disappointed with how his side fell away in the final quarter of their loss to Fremantle but was encouraged by the performances from Hamish Hartlett and Kane Farrell '

Typical flak deflecting crap from the PAFC PR machine. Happy for Hamish, happy for Kane but you cannot polish a turd. We were out coached and outplayed in the last quarter and once again we did not stand up when it counted.

He got some mongrel in the final v WC. Apart from that I don't have many memories of Charlie imposing himself.

I think the AFL needs to set up an umpiring academy in another country. Could be NZ, Could be an island nation where unemploymemt is high.

Have completely neutral people come out here for 6 months of year to do umpiring then head back over there in off season. It's a full time gig that pays well so even in off season you are still working in and learning the game.

It's the only way we won't have cheating biased umpires.

'Ken Hinkley was disappointed with how his side fell away in the final quarter of their loss to Fremantle but was encouraged by the performances from Hamish Hartlett and Kane Farrell '

Typical flak deflecting crap from the PAFC PR machine. Happy for Hamish, happy for Kane but you cannot polish a turd. We were out coached and outplayed in the last quarter and once again we did not stand up when it counted.

It's just more acceptance of mediocrity, as if that's the only level to which we can now rightly aspire. We plod along mid-table, picking up the odd exciting win and justifying the rest as "it's a tough competition and the opposition wanted it more". I suppose that's fine - we exist to appease the facebook crowd and make up the AFL's numbers.

Is the Creed a thing any more?

What is up with our defence? I thought it was one of the best in the comp once.

We did but then we moved our ex-defender defensive coach to the forward line and now neither of them function properly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We did but then we moved our ex-defender defensive coach to the forward line and now neither of them function properly.
I would suggest the main difference in our defence is that we’re spending less time with an 8 man or more defence.

I only watched the third quarter yesterday, but I noticed that when we had Ryder in the ruck, Lycett would run into the centre from the half-forward line, giving us an extra in the contest. The issue was, is that if we won the ball, any kick forward was to a marking contest involving our small forwards, rather than Lycett or Howard.
Was this the case for the entire game?

I know Kane lauds Ken’s winning percentage of 56%, but I would love to know our winning percentage over the past five years.
And anyway Surely it is games of finals played that is more telling than winning percentage?
Scoreless qtrs and losing close games screams gameplan from a stubborn dumb coach.
Coast to coast goals are like rocking-horse shite that reflect a stubborn dumb coach.
Gold passes to duds and no development of a key fwd in 7yrs is a stubborn dumb coach.

Port hierarchy in a pivotable moment extend the contract of a stubborn dumb coach.
Supporter base crumbling, attendances falling and no-one is publicly asking the tough Q's.

Here's a thought rather than member conventions and online surveys get the club to organise a Q&A
of the board and coaching panel that has a BigFooty audience.
Surely our numbers and $'s we put thru' the club give us this right.

Last edited:
Still bitterly disappointed with this one. To have what really was a great first three quarters, against a very hostile umpiring display was quite remarkable. Fremantle were very strong in the third and we ended up on top. Then we battled for a bit in the last quarter and eventually just fell over.

Fremantle were way too strong through the midfield, it was honestly reminiscent of that first quarter against Collingwood at times. Fyfe, Mundy and Walters were actually amazing, yeah Walters and Fyfe were being insanely looked after by the umpires but they were beyond elite. Robbie showed glimpses but seemed to fall away eventually and Boak couldn’t do it on his own.

Why Ryder didn’t go into the ruck when Lycett looked exhausted is beyond me. I don’t know if it was coaching, laziness or just that he physically can’t do it anymore.

Lienert, Bonner, and Motlop were really soft at the contest. Not good enough, and Motlop/Bonner have history this year. At the very least one or two of them need to go, preferably all 3.

Ryder as well kicked 2 important goals, did some nice things but just doesn’t do enough. I thought he’d be an absolute weapon late in games but he just did nothing for us in the last yesterday. I’d prefer Dixon doing some ruck work and Dougal/Marshall/Frampton in the side.

Sam Gray wasn’t terrible but didn’t really add anything.

Westhoff I thought was OK but * me his disposal sucks, missing that goal was just typical as well.

But honestly it comes down to the midfield and stoppage work. We aren’t gonna beat anyone when they walk it out of congestion that easily. Rockliff and Wines missing is a big problem but why not have Atley or Drew in? Why not persist with Houston through the centre? I mean I reckon we rolled about 13 players through there but they couldn’t get it done.

This game showed us up to be completely mid table. Can we step it up with a huge number of players coming back? Does it matter if we can?

I was thinking we should tank this game and play Wines/Dixon so they’d be ready against Geelong. I understand why the club elected not to, especially given what happened with Wines earlier in the year, but I think it’s a decision that will cost us dearly. There is almost no way I can see us winning the next 3 games, which IMO is what it’ll take to save Ken’s job.

I mean I want it to happen. I ******* hate Geelong and as far as I’m concerned next week is our grand final. If we don’t win that then Ken won’t see out his contract. If we don’t win the showdown he won’t see out the year. And well if we don’t even beat the bulldogs he won’t be leading us against the Crows.

Anyone who didn't see this loss coming is in the greatest win ever group from round 1. People banging on about beating St Kilda who were half smacked down by a stomach bug and somehow equating that win to look how great we are when we play our game are absolute morons. I'm sorry there's nothing else for it, if at this point you cannot see what is and has been blindingly obvious for half a decade+ now then there's nothing else to call you but an absolute moron.

We've pissed away too many seasons already on this coaching regime, pull the plug and * him off get someone new in.

*edited as I could have been talking about half the admin*

To be fair, it wasn't the worst showcase we've put up this year, we were in the game for three solid quarters, and even in the fourth we had our chances, but I can't stand our basic skill errors anymore. I'd say we were on par with Fremantle's pressure, but we completely failed to execute going forward in the last quarter, which cost us the game.

I don't think it was a complete flop from Ken, but going into next week there are things that we will need to change:

-Lycett isn't ready to ruck full game yet, I understand why we tried to do this, but Ryder needs to help him out more next week

-Dougal needs to play around the field more, locking him into the forward limited his impact, and he still needs to develop his forward skills before we can lock him in there full time.

-Seriously starting to get impatient with S. Gray and Motlop, one of them will need to drop out when Ebert comes back

Overall though it's just about fixing those basic skill errors. It was a game we should've won, or at the very least lost by under a goal. The effort was there, just not the execution.

To be fair, it wasn't the worst showcase we've put up this year, we were in the game for three solid quarters, and even in the fourth we had our chances, but I can't stand our basic skill errors anymore. I'd say we were on par with Fremantle's pressure, but we completely failed to execute going forward in the last quarter, which cost us the game.

I don't think it was a complete flop from Ken, but going into next week there are things that we will need to change:

-Lycett isn't ready to ruck full game yet, I understand why we tried to do this, but Ryder needs to help him out more next week

-Dougal needs to play around the field more, locking him into the forward limited his impact, and he still needs to develop his forward skills before we can lock him in there full time.

-Seriously starting to get impatient with S. Gray and Motlop, one of them will need to drop out when Ebert comes back

Overall though it's just about fixing those basic skill errors. It was a game we should've won, or at the very least lost by under a goal. The effort was there, just not the execution.
We were in control of the game until the Gray/Walters incident. Then it became an even contest until the last qtr. We have a team of different levels of downhill skiers with Motlop, Bonner and one or two others at the top of the mountain. Whichever way you look Ken and co have allowed this.

SGold passes to duds and no development of a key fwd in 7yrs is a stubborn dumb coach.
Our games played demographic for the game yesterday had 1 player in the 100-150 games bracket. He hasn't developed ANYONE in 7 years. He has ruined Wingard before offloading him to Hawthorn though so I'll give him that.

I have been warned where I was getting into when I got here. It is fine. The truth is I was born a Port Adelaide. I simply didn't know it.

There will be a point I won't be here all the time, it happens, but I will never leave. You all have made me discover I have always been one of you. I cannot undo that even if I wanted it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back