Autopsy Review v Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

I used to think their supporters were ok too but after one visit they are just as bad as everybody else . Don't go there looking for a friendly discussion. I've learnt my lesson. I'm not going to stray into another clubs board again . Too many hotheads looking for an argument.

When I was in the Swans board yesterday , one campaigner said he was back. I'm assuming he went missing the first six weeks lmao.

Sent via HAL

speaking for myself i never understand why people feel the need to be the man over the internet.

Good luck for next week.

As I said in the gameday thread I wonder how away we are from going back to Roberton as the third tall and playing an extra running defender. Two weeks in a row we've bombed away for no result only to have it go back the other way.

Still think we're at least one contested ball beast off being a flag contender. First half contested ball and clearance dominance was awesome but would've been nice to sustain that dominance rather than allow them to catch up.

Thought McKenzie had a shakey start to the match which is expected after so many weeks in the VFL but ended up with a pretty decent game. Definitely one to persist with.

No goals for Billings but to still grab 32 touches is awesome. Can't kick 5 every week.

We kid ourselves about how good we think we are but we are really just a small club with a small membership. We are paying the price at last for not winning premierships. We
Come on BT.....cheer up.....it's not all gloom and doom......

We are all probably feeling a little negative after that shocker performance on Sat.

I must say I've been a little surprised at our crowds this year.

Matt and the team are slowly rebuilding key area's of the club.......and doing a damn good job IMO.
It does take time.

Maintain the faith!

The Swans are our yardstick. You want to be considered a serious contender you have to beat them.

And as yesterday demonstrated we are still a long way off. That's ok...we now know.

You can't measure the difference in points conceded in one game. I'd like to know who you consider a serious contender based on your logic.
If StKilda had found a way to capitalise on their earlier possessions then things may not have gone so badly in the later parts of the game.

Sydney have contested ball winners, and well done to Gilbert, Ross and Steven for matching it with Kennedy, Parker and Hannebury. These guys are amongst the highest contested ball winners in the AFL.
They didn't dominate with their tall forwards. Franklin kicked 4, Riewoldt 3. But they had more players finding a way to score. ( If Paddy is a spud , at least we aren't paying him what Tippett is getting paid ).

Here's my two bob's worth (haven't read the thread)

- Not a surprise when your best inside 50 kicker misses the whole match that you struggle with inside 50 delivery.
- Since he came to the club, St Kilda 25-36-1 with Josh Bruce in the team, 2-11 with him out of the team.
- I think Joey's about done.
- McKenzie didn't look like he had the confidence in his own kicking ability that is required to play down back the way St Kilda want to play. Savage may have been the better option for this game.
- Rooey ran into a bit of form. Look like he was loosening up a bit by the end of the game.
- Weller can't kick straight any more.
- Statistically Stevens and Dunstan had nearly identical games.
- The crowd hate for Dunstan and McCartin on Saturday was unreasonable.
- Acres should only kick the ball long. He's such a lovely, penetratingly long kick of the ball.
- We got 20 points closer than last year
- Carlton showed how to play us, they just weren't good enough to win the game. Sydney denied us the middle which stops our rebound. A couple of times Roberton wanted the middle (like he always does) and just had no one to kick to.

Did we as a supporter group underestimate the impact of scrutiny by the media over Murphygate there is a lot of young influencel players I'm not sure the club handled it with the players well through out the week.
I did wonder pre game if last weeks events would have any effect in any shape or form.

It was an absolute firestorm directed towards the club last week.

Paddy is one player that should escape scrutiny after re watching the game. Had limited chances to make a impact and when he did it was sat on his head. He had great lead in the first that Rampe dragged his arms down and should have been a free too.

The crowd hate for Dunstan and McCartin on Saturday was unreasonable
I was shocked to read that Paddy copped Bronx cheers,didn't hear any of that thankfully from where we sat.....ground floor on the wing,city side.

When he slotted that goal in the last.....nothing but big cheers for him around us.

Very poor form if it was only from Saints supporters.

i said earlier in the season having two very big lumbering backs is over kill at times. Brown has actually been very good this year but he didn't really have a match up at Sydney who have a mobile forward line. Coupled with no Savage and Webster we lost run and mobility.

Last edited:
Bulldogs have Redpath and Cloke and possibly Boyd forward, Gringo, so there ought to be a couple of ideal options for Brown and Carlisle, especially if they bring in Roughead to ruck.

He's played a few games in the VFL now I think, so could be back in this week, freeing Boyd up to play forward.

Sydney also had Buddy, Tippett and Reid, so we well and truly needed both Brown and Carlisle for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some points from my vantage:
1. We need to back Paddy in.. playing VFL does nothing for him except makes him lose the feel of the AFL speed and pressure
2. We don't have the skills to play chip chip footy and we get slaughtered on the turnovers
3. Do we need to get some NRL guy in to teach how to lay a decent tackle? We put the tackles on but they get brushed off to easy
4. Some players are just great VFL players the step up in speed from VFL to AFL is huge so for someone like Mckenzie who performed well at VFL I dont think it's enough to make it in AFL
5. Rooey can't bend his knees - longer can't get below his knees but we send the ball to them both below the knees- gresh is like 4 ft tall so is Billings yet we kick it up on there heads with a taller defender.. swap that around and we get better efficiency

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tackles are a shitty situation.
Against GWS they were tackling and along with the ump's refusing to pay only the most blatant holding the ball decisions, the tackles were not sticking.
It looked to me like Richo revved them up to go in harder, but then we get a player rubbed out.

I have a different view.. with tackles there are 4 outcomes:
1. The ump calls holding the ball - we get possession
2. The ump calls a ball up - 50/50 chance at possession
3. The free is paid against us- we lose possession but our defence has time to man up forward ofthe ball forcing a kick to a 50/50 contest
4. The tackle is missed - player streams through hits his target and we get scored against...

I would rather we hit hard every time and risk the suspension then let them run through our arms.. hard tackles builds reputation it builds confidence and fuels opponents perceived pressure

Get the NRL guys to teach us to tackle... what makes you think the NRL guys are teaching Sydney players how to break tackles? Sydney did to us what they did to us last time - they keep the ball moving. You just need to stop the ball.

Get the NRL guys to teach us to tackle... what makes you think the NRL guys are teaching Sydney players how to break tackles? Sydney did to us what they did to us last time - they keep the ball moving. You just need to stop the ball.

Under GT I believe we had a session with NRL tackle coaches and it payed off really well .. with the dogs we won't get many holding the ball calls but we can slow them down with intense tackle pressure

Can we play Paddy, Bruce and Membrey? Leave Nick on the wing without pushing forward like has has been a lot this year

Only if Nick is able to really cover the ground. More likely after this week.

On the other hand, Josh Bruce did not knock the door down for Sandringham on Saturday.

Can we play Paddy, Bruce and Membrey? Leave Nick on the wing without pushing forward like has has been a lot this year

That seems to have been Plan A throughout the preseason judging on our Round 1 selections. It also makes our bomb it into the square game plan all the more perplexing because it doesn't play to any of their strengths (and it's also a shitty plan in general that no good teams use as an ideal).

Bulldogs have Redpath and Cloke and possibly Boyd forward, Gringo, so there ought to be a couple of ideal options for Brown and Carlisle, especially if they bring in Roughead to ruck.

He's played a few games in the VFL now I think, so could be back in this week, freeing Boyd up to play forward.

Sydney also had Buddy, Tippett and Reid, so we well and truly needed both Brown and Carlisle for them.

Browny on Cloke will be a good match up, two big lumps fighting one on one. It will be like the Jackovich v Carey years.

I hate to say it but his game on the wing has dropped off a bit this year. He looked best up forward this year but it does mean Paddy has to wait.

The Swans are our yardstick. You want to be considered a serious contender you have to beat them.

And as yesterday demonstrated we are still a long way off. That's ok...we now know.
I think the Swans used the fact that they have had our measure over the last few years to bully us. That's how it felt at the game. Not sure if that came across on TV but I saw so many times Swans players bumping and harassing around the ball and I think it did intimidate our younger players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back