Autopsy Review vs Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

With the pressure, most of the time there is no option apart to bomb it forward. nobody has time for clean entries when you've got teams breathing down your neck.

They need to structure more around the outside 50 and chip away until a decent option opens up (what Hawthorn do well)

It's not just the times under pressure though, we seem to kick it to forwards that want to out wrestle their opponent which makes it easy for the 3rd man in to intercept uncontested. There's always space to the fatside of the 50, our big forwards need to dictate where the ball goes by movement towards this area rather then being dicted where to go by the midfield, the dogs set the trap well for the conventional direct entry.

It's not just the times under pressure though, we seem to kick it to forwards that want to out wrestle their opponent which makes it easy for the 3rd man in to intercept uncontested. There's always space to the fatside of the 50, our big forwards need to dictate where the ball goes by movement towards this area rather then being dicted where to go by the midfield, the dogs set the trap well for the conventional direct entry.
Fair point. Morris & Wood just mopped up every time. There wasn't really anybody trying to lead up to take a mark apart from Paddy tbh.

I think you need some players that can play multiple positions tbh, however, the expectations aren't to make the GF (although it would be nice). I think the Saints would benefit from trying different things, not the predictable things

Fair point. Morris & Wood just mopped up every time. There wasn't really anybody trying to lead up to take a mark apart from Paddy tbh.

I think you need some players that can play multiple positions tbh, however, the expectations aren't to make the GF (although it would be nice). I think the Saints would benefit from trying different things, not the predictable things

Overall I think there's a lot of things that need 5-10% improvement on though I'm not upset by the loss, I had no high expectations this year... just don't enjoy watching games of Rugby Union so much.

Quick one - Longer was a hit-out away from tying a club record for hit-outs in a game.

Hickey had 56 last year in a Round 1 loss to Port so it doesn't mean much but still impressive considering he went up against basically 3 opponents.

At least 2, maybe 3 of these have to go, who are u picking?
Savage
Montagna
Riewoldt
Lonie
Gilbert
Rice
Holmes

Id go with 4 ... I think mother time is calling

Holmes
Montagna
Riewoldt
Lonie

Maybe Savage too... depending on trades etc

Id go with 4 ... I think mother time is calling

Holmes
Montagna
Riewoldt
Lonie

Maybe Savage too... depending on trades etc
Big drop for Sav, but I reckon he's gone unless a big second half of yr.

We've got other options and at his age he isn't doing enough and not improving

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have had a bit of time to think about it. Teams are having a few bad weeks and then suddenly turning it around. Or have some shockers and then play like world beaters. Very few consistent teams. Got to hope we have a purple patch again soon.

Our form was good until the moment Webster went down in the Carlton game. Sounds weird, but I reckon he was really important for a few games. Our balance got thrown and we just lost that drive out of defence. Roberton had to suddenly do some other jobs, and his effectiveness dropped.

Roo went lame about the same time, losing the connect around midfield and the wing. And then other aspects unraveled or just got messy. Confidence is now shot.

We thought we had pretty good depth, but not in some important areas. Running out of defence. No one really doing that now. Providing an out for the defence as a marking target, and then connecting to the forwards. No one doing that.

I think we tried to slow the game down a bit, but the dogs pressure, and our poor disposal just had things breaking down. They then surged forward and no one went with them. Was gut wrenching to see three or four dogs suddenly in the forward line with few Saints around them.

We still seem to be tinkering with team and game style. I don't suppose the coaches have much choice with changes of personnel. Who knows what people can do until you try. I could see why they moved Carlisle back for example, but it resulted in a few quick dogs goals, and the game was pretty much gone.

Just got to hope that the bye clears a few heads, and sorts out some sore bodies.

PS It's weak, and we want to discount it because we hope it wouldn't affect things. But Sledgegate. Has it had something to do with our evaporation of confidence? You would hope we'd be better, but I wonder......

Last edited:
Really tough loss to take in the way we just mentally capitulated for the second week in a row when a team turned up the heat against us.We seem to have regressed since the Carlton game and it is pretty unacceptable because we won so much respect after our GWS victory. That should have been the win that set us up for a tilt at the top 4. Instead it seems to have been the catalyst for this terrible slump.

Can only think a few have been drinking their own bathwater at the club and I sure as hell hope a few get rockets over the bye and realise that in this day and age with the comp being so even you simply cannot switch off against ANYONE for even a second or you'll lose.

Really tough loss to take in the way we just mentally capitulated for the second week in a row when a team turned up the heat against us.We seem to have regressed since the Carlton game and it is pretty unacceptable because we won so much respect after our GWS victory. That should have been the win that set us up for a tilt at the top 4. Instead it seems to have been the catalyst for this terrible slump.

Can only think a few have been drinking their own bathwater at the club and I sure as hell hope a few get rockets over the bye and realise that in this day and age with the comp being so even you simply cannot switch off against ANYONE for even a second or you'll lose.

Pretty sure they had that conversation after Melbourne and also Geelong. Then probably again after Sydney.

I haven't watched a lot of footy over the last few years, so you guys probably have boiled frog syndrome, but to me it's clearly noticeable watching on TV how much faster afl is this year. At times it seems like they've sped up the film. I wonder how many players we have who are truly competent at that speed. I'm not just talking about running, but handballing in traffic, spoiling doing all the congested stuff. It is blinding and i wonder if we're getting left behind.

I could have sworn I watched us beat the Hawks by 70 odd and the the Giants just recently.

Alas, it was obviously only a dream.

Pretty sure they had that conversation after Melbourne and also Geelong. Then probably again after Sydney.

I haven't watched a lot of footy over the last few years, so you guys probably have boiled frog syndrome, but to me it's clearly noticeable watching on TV how much faster afl is this year. At times it seems like they've sped up the film. I wonder how many players we have who are truly competent at that speed. I'm not just talking about running, but handballing in traffic, spoiling doing all the congested stuff. It is blinding and i wonder if we're getting left behind.

I just feel like, after a Friday night win like we had against GWS the hype around us went through the roof. We were lauded by all and sundry in the media. I mean, even as a supporter I got a load of texts from mates after the win, just imagine what it would be like for the players.....

The problem is, this sort of stuff can go to the player's heads, especially some of the young blokes. Psychologically, even if they are a little off in an even competition like ours, it will cost you big time. The GWS win was just that, a win.

All this "scalp" talk means very little in the end when you lose your next 3 and are staring down the barrel of a 4th loss.

I just feel like, after a Friday night win like we had against GWS the hype around us went through the roof. We were lauded by all and sundry in the media. I mean, even as a supporter I got a load of texts from mates after the win, just imagine what it would be like for the players.....

The problem is, this sort of stuff can go to the player's heads, especially some of the young blokes. Psychologically, even if they are a little off in an even competition like ours, it will cost you big time. The GWS win was just that, a win.

All this "scalp" talk means very little in the end when you lose your next 3 and are staring down the barrel of a 4th loss.

You can take it as fact that the boys got ahead of themselves after the GWS win. Richo had a big chat during the week and laid down the law. It seems its had little effect. Been ordinary since then.

It may be better for Richo not to talk to the boys- I get the impression he is a nice bloke, but not a good communicator. He needs to look at what he and his coaching group are doing wrong at the moment.

Looking forward to stavro#4 & Moorabbin Ghost popping by today to give us the inside word....

Couldn't imagine things being very peachy inside the walls of the club after these last 3 games. We've just been comprehensively flogged by 2 average teams & pretty much limped over the line against an impressive but developing Carlton before that.

Need to take a good hard look at the way we're going about things both onfield & in the coaches box

Remove this Banner Ad

Back