Autopsy Review vs Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I found it amazing when mccartin took those two marks, it was through quick ball movement through the centre. Teams have worked us out the last couple of weeks in terms of our uncontested marking in the back half and we have been unable to get it out because of turnover. It is time to play with more flare through the coridoor and thats when paddy will take marks and kick goals. It doesn't give our forwards opportunity when we just kick backwards (eg Billings only had 16 disposals) however I feel that was because the ball was in the back half for us. We are not giving our forwards any opportunity to get near the ball.

Hi All. Please consider me a refugee from that other site for Saints supporters who has seen the light. As for the Saints, was at the game yesterday, and was shaken by the lack of direct football on our behalf. Seems confidence has gone down the toilet. However, it is worth remembering that most teams seem to be go through a rough spot, with Geelong and recently Adelaide coming to mind. The proof will be in the 3 weeks after the bye. As for Paddy, well, I think the club feels that to have him where they want him when we are challenging 2018-22, then we have to get games into him now. We are certainly missing the energy and presence of Bruce, despite the fact that he really struggles to hold his marks. Feel the club is stuck between a rock and a hard place with these two.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

As for Paddy, well, I think the club feels that to have him where they want him when we are challenging 2018-22, then we have to get games into him now. We are certainly missing the energy and presence of Bruce, despite the fact that he really struggles to hold his marks. Feel the club is stuck between a rock and a hard place with these two.
Bruce is playing VFL because his form isn't good enough, not because there isn't enough room in the side for both him and McCartin. Those two along with Membrey will be our forward line for hopefully the next 8-10 years.

Club may have been a bit stubborn not bringing Bruce back yesterday but they're obviously trying to send a message to players that they have to know that if they aren't doing enough, they won't be playing. Doesn't matter if it's Bruce, McCartin, or whoever else

Exactly then dont run through the middle the ground and just kick it too the other team. It doesnt work we dont have a cattle and wont for the forseeable future. So change it or were done.

The problem was we didnt go through the middle. Our focus the last 2 weeks has seemed to be play the wings. Too scared to trt gp through the centre.

Why is Richo not playing acres in the centre square, he would actually give us some difference in the middle yesterday he was in there for maybe one or two centre bounce and got clearance, time to change things we keep on going with the same slow and inside midfield apart from Steven every week change it up richo

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not as easy as we think. Our mids cannot really play anywhere else but Acres can. Same as Gresham. That's why they aren't in the middle very often.

Bruce is playing VFL because his form isn't good enough, not because there isn't enough room in the side for both him and McCartin. Those two along with Membrey will be our forward line for hopefully the next 8-10 years.

Club may have been a bit stubborn not bringing Bruce back yesterday but they're obviously trying to send a message to players that they have to know that if they aren't doing enough, they won't be playing. Doesn't matter if it's Bruce, McCartin, or whoever else
Think you may have quoted the wrong person there mate!

I don't get this 'send a message' thing. Since Bruce got dropped, we've copped 50 point & 40 point hidings. I don't really care if he's not playing well, since he's been out, the forward structure has gone to absolute s**t. Bruce is arguably in the poorest form since he's been at the club, but he takes the best KP defender every week, which allows guys like Membrey & Riewoldt to bob up with their 2-4 goals, with Bruce kicking his 1-2.

If we're going persist with the bullshit kicking to the hotspot pack of 6 players, then play Bruce over McCartin, because once the ball hits the deck, which it does 99.99% of the time, Bruce is 99.99% more mobile than Paddy and will increase our chances of keeping the ball in our forward 50 area.

If we're gonna start lowering our eyes & honouring leads, then play Paddy. However, with Riewoldt being out, Bruce just had to play this week. I honestly believe that Paddy would have played even better if Bruce was there to take some heat off him

Rewatched the first half - not as bad as I thought.

Paddy was stiff/unlucky - should have had 2 possibly 3 goals in the first quarter except he fumbled a couple of marks he should have taken.

I think we get excited by multiple inside 50 entries but sometimes it is meaningless because its just masking poor delivery and the way clubs set up these days.

Bomb the ball in - the opposition wins the ball back because they have extra numbers back - they bomb the ball back and we win it back because we have extra numbers. Rinse and repeat - wow we've had 10 more inside 50's - why aren't we winning the game?

20 players in the arc means hitting up a pass into the 50 is virtually impossible and conversely it makes clean delivery out of the forward 50 virtually impossible as well.

Comments

Minch - not sure how many more chances he will get.

Dmac - actually liked his game - got sold into some shocking positions but also rushed a bit but was hard at it and did some good things through the middle.

Mav - ummm not so good - needs a bit of a rocket.

Gresh - saving himself by getting a goal or two but needs to lift.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get this 'send a message' thing. Since Bruce got dropped, we've copped 50 point & 40 point hidings. I don't really care if he's not playing well, since he's been out, the forward structure has gone to absolute s**t...
If we're gonna start lowering our eyes & honouring leads, then play Paddy. However, with Riewoldt being out, Bruce just had to play this week. I honestly believe that Paddy would have played even better if Bruce was there to take some heat off him

This. This. And This.

Bulldogs are average. They finished 7th last year after H&A & are arguably not as good this year. Everyone has an opinion, this is mine.
Bulldogs are great. They finished 1st at the end of the season, arguably the best season any club can ever have. Everyone has an opinion, this is mine and the facts are the season does not end before the finals.

Bruce is out of form, but Paddy looked ordinary except for the last part of the last quarter when the game was over. Should have left Bruce in once Roo was out.

Changes for the Crows Game?

Out: Mav Savage Minchington
In: Riewoldt/Bruce Webster Wright

Or if we're going conservative.

Savage and Minch for Webster and Riewoldt

Like those changes. Savage was't worse on ground, but Webster offers much more defensively.
Minchington doesn't get enough ball.
Maverick off the boil, needs to go back to Sandy for a few.

I wouldn't rush Roo back if not 100% ready. Bruce comes in otherwise - seemingly hasn't set world on fire at Sandy, but he never stops leading and trying.

Watched the first half last night and without the game-day emotion, this is pretty much how I saw it.

For the first quarter and a half, we were well on top in a lot of areas (especially pressure, which was great), resulting in us having had 26 inside-50's to their 14, but we just didn't capitalise on so much of our best work, hence the scores by that point being pretty much level, which didn't reflect the general play that we were mostly in top in.

The worst examples of this waste were the dropped chest type mark from Paddy about 25m out, the dropped mark by Gresh about 25m out (when he cut across in front of Membrey, who looked like he would have taken an easy chest mark leading straight out from the goalsquare) and then Gresh's missed set shot from about 35m out, directly in front. They were 3 GOLDEN opportunities to goal that we just completely blew and which made the difference between us potentially being a few goals up by half way through the 2nd, or being level.

As so often happens when a team doesn't capitalise on their good play, the other team eventually gets their chance, and in their case they took it in the last 15 mins of the 2nd, and pulled away to a 3 goal half time lead.

Those 3 goals were all pretty much our doing though, as I think they all resulted from very poor kicks of ours when moving the ball out of defence.

One was that absolutely ridiculous kick from Newnes, when he was running out of the back 50 and had someone on their own about 30m in front of him, towards the boundary, another 3 of ours in a line to his left, closer to the middle of the ground and then Gresh, about 80m away, with Bontempelli standing about 20m in front of him.

Instead of taking by far the best option, to his right, which would have probably drawn Bont and freed Gresh up out the back, or the 3 next best options, to his left, he tried to kick the ball 75m, over the top of Bont and of course he is not Ben Graham and the kick only went 60m and Bont marked. Seconds later, they goaled.

Another of the 3 was when Monty was bringing the ball out of the back 50 and he had a brain fade and kicked it into the middle of the ground (where you should only be kicking it as a last resort, or if you have someone on their own) where they had the numbers and were able to easily intercept and a few seconds later, another goal. Another ridiculous option to choose and it cost us a goal.

Then there was another one where Gresh was running the ball out of defence and he had Sincs running towards goal with a 15m break on whoever was chasing him and all Gresh had to do was to kick it over Sincs head to his advantage, and we would have been off to the races for a quick forward entry, but the 40m kick missed him by about 15m, and rolled OOB. Think they might have goaled not long after that one as well, meaning we pretty much gifted them 3 chances to goal because of our terrible options, or poor execution, out of defence.

So in a low scoring half of footy, we blew at least 3 golden opportunities to goal and up the other end in just a 15 minutes patch gifted them a few of their own, with our terrible kicking/decision making. (We may have gifted them some of their earlier ones as well, but I don't remember exactly how they came about). And that was our good half!!

We don't need another team to beat us when we're beating ourselves like this. No wonder the group seems demoralised! We are just flat-out beating ourselves at the moment.

Last edited:

If making an example of players why not drop mav for wright? Wright played that role better when he came on for mav against the giants.

Bruce being out has unbalanced the forward line and by extension the team. We need him in form granted but leaving him out has actually hurt us more than having him in the side.

We are currently unable of kicking a winning score.

Couldn't agree more. Plus he hasn't actually been that bad. Takes two defenders, which would help Paddy, is heaps fitter than Paddy and played his best footy when roo didn't play!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back