Revisit the 1998 Hottest 100

Remove this Banner Ad

Too bad this 1 was from '97 ;) but yes, had the same discussion with a co worker who said the 80's were crap for Aussies.

watching max channel - music from 98. 90s music, singing (none to little autotu-uuuuUUUNnnnEE). Very little collaborations involving DJs feat. XYZ and ANH.

Love 90s music.
I feel like crying now

More likely, 98 was the beginning of the end of easily accessible alternative music curated for your convenience. There’s still plenty of great music around but they have lower profiles (because pretty much everything out of mainstream pop has a lower profile) and you actually have to put some effort in to find it.

Been loving this trip down memory lane, listened all afternoon. 1998 was very formative for me, lots of earliest faves are in here, and my first albums.

Magnificent: Teardrop, Given to Fly, No Surprises & Song Formally Known As
Classic: The Impression That I Get, Sex & Candy, Shimmer, I Don't Like It, It's Like That, Pure Morning
Very good: Second Solution, Save the Day, Polyester Girl, Black Bugs, Push it, Malibu, Addicted to Bass, Cry, Brick, Got the Life, Intergalactic, Music Sounds Better with You, Time of Your Life (Good Riddance), The Day You Come, My Hero, Do the Evolution

Most of the rest of the tracks are solid or passable, few cringey ones but there always will be.

Pretty Fly still stands up as solid fun for a #1, Humble is the only #1 from the last 5 years which might be better.

Last edited:
More likely, 98 was the beginning of the end of easily accessible alternative music curated for your convenience. There’s still plenty of great music around but they have lower profiles (because pretty much everything out of mainstream pop has a lower profile) and you actually have to put some effort in to find it.

Did Triple J make s concious decision to no longer easily accessible alternative music for our convenience? Or is it a case of there being way less good alternative (or even mainstream) music out there? Or do melinials just have s**t taste in music and they simply cater for that s**t taste?

1998 marked the decline of alternative rock being backed by major labels and mass marketed to the youth, tricking them into thinking that they were part of a scene that was truly special
EFA

Anyway, if Music Sounds Better With You isn't at the top of your list, you're doing it wrong.

How could 98 be the end of easily accessible music? The internet is the best thing that ever happened to music accessibility

How could 98 be the end of easily accessible music? The internet is the best thing that ever happened to music accessibility
Easily accessible for your convenience; turn on Triple J and it was all therein one place. Yes, there’s more music than ever before but you have to be the one to look out for it and make choices about what you want to listen. For the lazy music fan, they’ll just keep listening to their old stuff and complain there’s no good music around any more.

Did Triple J make s concious decision to no longer easily accessible alternative music for our convenience? Or is it a case of there being way less good alternative (or even mainstream) music out there? Or do melinials just have s**t taste in music and they simply cater for that s**t taste?
There’s not less good music, just less universally accepted good music. In the past, labels could control release dates, sales etc around the world. They backed bands with marketing and promotion because they would make their money back in album sales. It was easy for Triple J to know what was ‘big’ by just looking to the UK and US. Without that, they looked local instead.

Well, Powderfinger, Silverchair and You Am I are three of Australia’s biggest ever bands, regardless of nostalgia value. Bands like Something for Kate, the Whitlams, Spiderbait, Regurgitator, Jebediah and the Living End all stand up. Bands like Grinspoon and TISM were more flash in the pan.

The ‘90s was indie rock and grunge whereas the ‘80s was straight up rock, so whatever floats your boat personally. But it holds up and certainly wasn’t weak. I have it well above the ‘80s but then I don’t rate bands like INXS and Icehouse.
Where were you when Chemical Heart and Hard Act to Follow came out in the 00's? 2 very big songs when they came out

Id also argue The Living End is bigger than You Am I aswell

EFA

Anyway, if Music Sounds Better With You isn't at the top of your list, you're doing it wrong.
I would've thought so too (at least in the top several), but it doesn't really stand up quite so well as others for me. Still a cool enough track, but I'm not one to go crazy hype over French House. From that genre period, the likes of Lady (Hear Me Tonight), You Dont Know Me, One More Time, Another Chance, etc. stand up a little better for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting article on the ABC news website today.

The Changing Sound of JJJ's Hottest 100

The graph highlighted the different genres I found the most interesting, and probably highlights why a few of us oldies aren't as enamoured with the Hottest 100 these days as we were in the 1990's. Less Rock.
JJJ Genres.JPG

The graph highlighted the different genres I found the most interesting, and probably highlights why a few of us oldies aren't as enamoured with the Hottest 100 these days as we were in the 1990's. Less Rock.
View attachment 612060

Very interesting. If you read the article and and look at some of the other charts of the change in tempo, energy and positivity over the years, my assertion that the music has become increasingly bland and dull is vindicated. Not just old man yells at cloud, it's backed up by the stats.

Very interesting. If you read the article and and look at some of the other charts of the change in tempo, energy and positivity over the years, my assertion that the music has become increasingly bland and dull is vindicated. Not just old man yells at cloud, it's backed up by the stats.

Yeah I recon some do lack the energy these days, and the slower ones (which always existed) don't have the emotional punch of those from a decade or two ago.

Easily accessible for your convenience; turn on Triple J and it was all therein one place. Yes, there’s more music than ever before but you have to be the one to look out for it and make choices about what you want to listen. For the lazy music fan, they’ll just keep listening to their old stuff and complain there’s no good music around any more.

Agreed. The other positive effect this curation had was to make it easier for you and your friends to go on similar journeys of music enjoyment. Sure, we can share playlists and stuff now but honestly most people are only interested in their own.

With the radio, you were kind of forced to a degree to listen to music that your friends did too.

View attachment 612060
Given the fact I get no enjoyment out of about 97% of any electronic, rap or current pop music, it’s no surprise that I gave up on JJJ about 6-7 years ago after being a religious listener and Hottest 100 voter since the mid to late 90’s.
I get that it’s a youth station and music trends etc change, but man, I don’t get the appeal of the current JJJ music. It’s so bland. Where’s the energy and attitude.
I’ve found new music outside of JJJ that I really like, but if I try tuning in on the drive home to or from work I last a song of two and I have to turn off.

You can like the 80’s more but it’s preposterous to say the 90’s were a weak decade for Aussie music. So much good stuff.

The Badloves were another terrific one. Then there’s all those bands that straddled both decades like the Hoodoo Gurus, Boom Crash Opera and Crowded House (they’re ours aren’t they!).

Yeah look I understand it may be an unpopular take on an Aussie forum like this, but I actually found the “50 Best Australian Albums of the 90s” list Double J put together in September last year a real eye-opener at how underwhelming the decade was for Australian music. The full list is summarised in the following article:

https://junkee.com/best-australian-albums-90s/175157

So according to Double J, in a decade that produced legendary records like OK Computer, Illmatic, Nevermind, Mezzanine, Siamese Dream, Endtroducing, Loveless, Enter the Wu-Tang, Rust In Peace, Ready To Die, Slanted And Enchanted, Music Has The Right To Children, Dirt, Fear Of A Black Planet, The Downward Spiral, Violator, The Bends, The Low End Theory, In Utero, Moon Safari, Grace, Homework, Rage Against The Machine, The Chronic... the best thing to come out of Australia in that 10 year period was Internationalist from Brisbane middle-of-the-road radio rock band Powderfinger?? Yikes

Alarmingly, with the exception of Nick Cave’s Let Love In, I can’t really find an album on that list that definitively deserves to be ranked above Internationalist either. It was just not a particularly innovative or exciting decade for Australian music and it really is no surprise overseas success for most 90s acts was non-existent.

Last edited:
Well the votes are in and they just played the revisionist top 10 on Double J:

1. The Offspring – ‘Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)’
  2. Regurgitator – ‘! (Song Formerly Known As.)’
  3. Rob Zombie – ‘Dragula’
  4. TISM – ‘Whatareya’
  5. Garbage – ‘I Think I'm Paranoid’
  6. Metallica – ‘Unforgiven II’
  7. Beastie Boys – ‘Intergalactic’
  8. Josh Abrahams & Amiel Daemion – ‘Addicted To Bass’
  9. Rage Against The Machine – ‘No Shelter’
  10. Marilyn Manson – ‘The Dope Show’

Good list, happy lols at #1, it may be cheesy but it's not shithouse or anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back