3. Rob Zombie – ‘Dragula’
  4. TISM – ‘Whatareya’
  5. Garbage – ‘I Think I'm Paranoid’
  6. Metallica – ‘Unforgiven II’
  7. Beastie Boys – ‘Intergalactic’
  8. Josh Abrahams & Amiel Daemion – ‘Addicted To Bass’
  9. Rage Against The Machine – ‘No Shelter’
  10. Marilyn Manson – ‘The Dope Show’

Good list, happy lols at #1, it may be cheesy but it's not shithouse or anything.

It seems as though w***ers took this way too seriously, thinking it was a re-vote rather than a bit of fun. That's the only way to explain Pretty Fly topping it again - the whole "you can't re-do it cos you don't like the winner" bullshit that was online.

I doubt whether they'll ever do this again. I know it was only meant to be a bit of fun, but Massive Attack not being in that top 10 probably renders it not even remotely credible.

I never even heard about the re-vote thing. It's an embarrassing version, seems like band devotees came out in numbers. Teardrop not making the top 10 is especially egregious.

Well the votes are in and they just played the revisionist top 10 on Double J:

1. The Offspring – ‘Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)’
  2. Regurgitator – ‘! (Song Formerly Known As.)’
  3. Rob Zombie – ‘Dragula’
  4. TISM – ‘Whatareya’
  5. Garbage – ‘I Think I'm Paranoid’
  6. Metallica – ‘Unforgiven II’
  7. Beastie Boys – ‘Intergalactic’
  8. Josh Abrahams & Amiel Daemion – ‘Addicted To Bass’
  9. Rage Against The Machine – ‘No Shelter’
  10. Marilyn Manson – ‘The Dope Show’

Good list, happy lols at #1, it may be cheesy but it's not shithouse or anything.

Rob Zombie? Unforgiven II? Pretty Fly #1 AGAIN? Jesus christ.... With the benefit of hindsight, it somehow manages to be potentially worse than the original top 10 :drunk:

Music Sounds Better With You, Teardrop & Intergalactic are easily the best 3 songs in that countdown - staggering that 2 of those songs didn't poll in the 10

Yeah look I understand it may be an unpopular take on an Aussie forum like this, but I actually found the “50 Best Australian Albums of the 90s” list Double J put together in September last year a real eye-opener at how underwhelming the decade was for Australian music. The full list is summarised in the following article:

https://junkee.com/best-australian-albums-90s/175157

So according to Double J, in a decade that produced legendary records like OK Computer, Illmatic, Nevermind, Mezzanine, Siamese Dream, Endtroducing, Loveless, Enter the Wu-Tang, Rust In Peace, Ready To Die, Slanted And Enchanted, Music Has The Right To Children, Dirt, Fear Of A Black Planet, The Downward Spiral, Violator, The Bends, The Low End Theory, In Utero, Moon Safari, Grace, Homework, Rage Against The Machine, The Chronic... the best thing to come out of Australia in that 10 year period was Internationalist from Brisbane middle-of-the-road radio rock band Powderfinger?? Yikes

Alarmingly, with the exception of Nick Cave’s Let Love In, I can’t really find an album on that list that definitively deserves to be ranked above Internationalist either. It was just not a particularly innovative or exciting decade for Australian music and it really is no surprise overseas success for most 90s acts was non-existent.

Good post, Internationalist in that company doesn’t really cut it does it?

Though there are a fair few albums and artists on the list I like, it’s fairly beige overall. Lots of typical triple j fare from the time which was (like now) lots of artists who sounded like more popular/better acts from overseas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back