Draft Review 2012 - Revisiting the 2012 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

They aren't.

Also you use potential as an argument in the 2013 thread, then ignore it making a 2012 list.

Glad someone else noticed this. He puts Tom Boyd ahead of proven guns in Merrett and Kelly because of his potential as a key forward. Then proceeds to do the opposite with Daniher in the 2012 thread putting him behind Macrae.

They aren't.

Also you use potential as an argument in the 2013 thread, then ignore it making a 2012 list.
You act like it's a massively outlandish call.

Macrae and Viney are IMO the two best midfielders from this class, they both have Wines covered and the gap will only get bigger. Depends if you want a pure inside mid vs an inside/out mid.

Stringer and Daniher are the two best forwards so far. I think people forget how good Jake is because of his back end to the year. He's still a freak.

This top 10 includes both the national and rookie drafts and my selections were factored in by both career output to date, potential and also their age (in the case of Rampe as a mature age selection I could only just fit him into my top 10 despite his terrific form).

1. Daniher
2. Viney
3. Stringer
4. Wines
5. Macrae
6. Membrey
7. Hunter
8. Grundy
9. Rampe
10. Z Williams

This top 10 includes both the national and rookie drafts and my selections were factored in by both career output to date, potential and also their age (in the case of Rampe as a mature age selection I could only just fit him into my top 10 despite his terrific form).

1. Daniher
2. Viney
3. Stringer
4. Wines
5. Macrae
6. Membrey
7. Hunter
8. Grundy
9. Rampe
10. Z Williams

I think any of the top 3 could go number 1 depending on a sides needs.

Need a key forward - Daniher
Need a safe bet and inside midfielder - Viney
Can afford to take a risk on a player with insane potential and don't have a stand out need for a KPF/Inside mid - Stringer.

Last edited:
I think any of the top 3 could go number 1 depending on a sides needs.

Need a key forward - Daniher
Need a safe bet and inside midfielder - Viney
Can afford to take a risk on a player with insane potential and don't have a stand out need for a KPF/Inside mid - Stringer.
Yep, think you summed that up very well.

I put Daniher at no.1 because for one he is a very talented key forward and they are very scarce to find but besides his talent and current output as a key forward, I really value his height and reach which makes him such a difficult matchup.

Viney I put in second because of his current output as an inside mid and also because of his potential to become one of the premier inside mids in the comp. He and Stringer I found were very hard to seperate but what won me over with Viney was his leadership capabilities compared to Stringer. It speaks for itself I reckon that Viney has already been made co-captain and I just think that the leadership Viney offers would be so valuable for any club.

Like you said, you can make a very good argument for Stringer to be rated higher. He is one of the most dynamic forwards I've seen over the past 12-13 years that I've been watching footy. We hear about how some defenders can play tall and small, Stringer can do that as a forward IMO. Stringer is probably most suited as a third tall but his marking ability and athleticism allows him to play taller than what his height and frame suggests. I reckon he can also play small with his ability to recover and keep his feet form marking contests fantastic and from what I've seen he's actually quite a good crumber as well. I think with having Cloke in the side this year he'll really benefit from him in that less attention will be payed on Stringer as a result. I think we'll see Stringer have more of an impact playing tall with his marking ability but also playing small with Cloke at the very least bringing the ball to ground to allows the small forward as well as Stringer to crumb the ball.

I think all three of those players will perform to a very high standard this year despite some question marks on what Daniher's interrupted pre-season may have on his year and whether the captaincy on Viney will have some sort of impact on his performance.

To this day I still never saw why Whitfield would have been number 1.
Even from when these kids where 12 there was only ever going to be three blokes that could go #1 in this draft. Then Stringer snapped his leg in half and Omeara went in the mini draft. Leaving Whitfield as the clear #1 that every team would have taken at that pick.

1. Daniher
2. Viney
3. Stringer
4. Wines
5. Macrae
6. Membrey
7. Hunter
8. Grundy
9. Rampe
10. Z Williams
You would not have Viney as 2nd if you were not a Melbourne person

Yeah probably not, slight bias there but I would definitely not have him much lower. I did say there wasn't much in it between him and stringer. Out of interest who would be in your top 10?
I normally don't do lists but when i have time i'll do it after looking up the players. I know in a couple of years time Z Williams will be high up on this list.

I think you're undervaluing how hard complete outside players are to find anywhere in the draft. Whitfield is pretty much your perfect wingman and was by far the stand out at the time based on junior form.
I watched a couple of his games in the U18 nats and he was only meh. He wasnt anywhere near the best players in that comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Whitfield was probably one of those players who was just consistent right from the u16s to his draft year and was an attractive pick as someone who was deemed a low risk. If you take out the 2011 mini draft which had O'Meara and B Crouch then there probably would of been a pretty good chance those two would have been taken ahead of Whitfield. Hindsight will tell us that Whitfield isn't the best player from this draft and I think it's rare for a no.1 pick to be the best anyway. There would be players like a Macrae who only came onto the scene in their draft year and arguably had more potential than a Whitfield but didn't have the credentialed output that Whitfield had accumulated since his u16's year. Even someone like Stringer who broke his leg I think in his bottom aged year was considered a potential no.1 draft pick before his injury but was deemed a high risk high reward player before the draft. It's always going to be difficult to take those sort of players as early as the no.1 pick or even in the first few picks. I think that's why it's rare for most no.1 draft picks to be considered the best if a particular draft was redone, because there are probably always players who also have a high potential as well as being considered a high risk. Therefore they generally aren't taken as early as a player who is deemed to be a lower risk as well as having a more consistent impact from the u16s through to their draft years like a Whitfield for example.

1. Daniher
2. Grundy
3. Wines
4. Macrae
5. Rampe
6. Williams
7. Whitfield
8. Stringer
9. Viney
10. Hunter

I'm ready to cop the heat for having Grundy at 2.

Rampe is being underrated on here. The only AA from the class of 2012. He is a gun.
Being 4 years older than all the others mentioned here and making that AA team at 26yo might have something to do with it.

I'm pretty confident that by the time the rest are 26yo there will be a fair number from this draft who have made AA. They're only just starting to enter their prime years and the age Dane was when he made his debut.

Being 4 years older than all the others mentioned here and making that AA team at 26yo might have something to do with it.

I'm pretty confident that by the time the rest are 26yo there will be a fair number from this draft who have made AA. They're only just starting to enter their prime years and the age Dane was when he made his debut.
Rampe could have a few AAs by then.

You would not have Viney as 2nd if you were not a Melbourne person

I don't see why not, he was an absolute stud last year and with more support around him will likely go up another level this year and feature around the top 20ish players in the comp.

I don't see why not, he was an absolute stud last year and with more support around him will likely go up another level this year and feature around the top 20ish players in the comp.
I don't see it in him. i see more serviceable like Daniel Cross was or Boyd was as a mid from my perspective. not an elite gun mid.

I don't see it in him. i see more serviceable like Daniel Cross was or Boyd was as a mid from my perspective. not an elite gun mid.

Don't think either were bad players at all, probably featured around top 35-50 in the competition at their peaks (Boyd more so). He's already at that level with a few more tools (cleanness and explosiveness at the contest) and not quite at his peak age wise yet. He needs to get forward a bit more, kicked 8 this year, if he can double that I'd have him as one of the premier mids in the comp.

Don't think either were bad players at all, probably featured around top 35-50 in the competition at their peaks (Boyd more so). He's already at that level with a few more tools (cleanness and explosiveness at the contest) and not quite at his peak age wise yet. He needs to get forward a bit more, kicked 8 this year, if he can double that I'd have him as one of the premier mids in the comp.
No they were above average mids at their time but were never classed as elite.

You're seriously underrating Viney here he's got the ability to bust open stoppages with his power and attack on the footy. Cross and Boyd were high level accumulators with no hurt factor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back