Revisiting the 2014 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No issue with McCartin being marked harshly in this draft class

But can people stop putting Moore in the category alongside Lever, Heeney, etc as clear guns

The kid has nothing on those 2 proven performers

And in reality, is closer to McCartin's level of output than those 2

He has plenty of potential, as does McCartin, but little output, like McCartin, so far

But can people stop putting Moore in the category alongside Lever, Heeney, etc as clear guns

He has plenty of potential, as does McCartin, but little output, like McCartin, so far
Because KPD is easier to play as than KPF early on. You see the likes of Weitering, Marchbank, Lever doing well early but very rarely do you see a young KPF dominating. By potential and progress Moore is in the same category as Lever and Heeney.

Mccartin on the other hand is playing like a player picked in the 50s and is only valued for the reason above.

What garbage

Moore looks poor bar a handful of games

Lever looks excellent bar a handful of games where he looked only average

Tripe

What garbage

Moore looks poor bar a handful of games

Lever looks excellent bar a handful of games where he looked only average

Tripe
Yeah and Mccartin looks poor literally every game.

Lever hasn't had the need to hold the #1 key position on one side of the field ever. Moore is showing really good signs as a 21 year old #1 key forward in a side with terrible footskills/delivery.

And Moore's level of output is closer to Fatguts than to Lever's

Position on the ground or team mates footskills don't change the reality that his output precludes him from being regarded in the same bracket as Lever and Heeney

Moore definitely has more runs on the board at AFL level, but he's also had a much better run at it from a fitness/injury POV (has played twice as many games) and is the taller, more athletic type, who is more likely to be able to make an impact sooner, because he can get by on just his height and athleticism for the time being.

Moore started this season with 4 consecutive games of less disposals than Paddy had on the weekend and he also kicked less goals and had less shots for goal in those 4 games combined (1 goal 3) than Paddy had in just his first game this year. But because Collingwood didn't have anyone else any good that they could bring in to replace him with, they had to keep him in the team to work his way through his form slump there, whereas we had the luxury of Riewloldt playing on the wing, so as soon as Paddy had one poor game (his 2nd game of the year, after kicking 2.3 in his first), we were able to drop him, so that he could work his way back into form in the VFL.

Had Paddy been just about Collingwood's only key forward option this year like Moore is, he too probably would have played every game this year, and like Moore, had to work his way back into form in the seniors. But because we had so many other options, and could easily get by without him, we were able to drop him, and now it's probably going to take him a week or two to get back used to the pace of AFL footy again.

The delivery into our forwardline at the moment is shite though, so I don't envy him if we keep that up and coming up against 3 of the best teams in the comp is certainly potentially throwing him to the wolves.

I hope you don't rate Weideman because De Goey's kicked as many goals in 50% less games.
I certainly don't rate him as highly as the standouts from the 2015 draft.

Weideman?

He was taken a year later, and didn't play a game in the U18s due to injury. He started off with a few two goal games, but he's obviously not ready. I don't see what he has to do with Moore, though?

At this stage; Heeney, Lever and Petracca are the standouts from 2014.

Weideman?

I hope you don't rate Weideman because De Goey's kicked as many goals in 50% less games.

I certainly don't rate him as highly as the standouts from the 2015 draft.

He was taken a year later, and didn't play a game in the U18s due to injury. He started off with a few two goal games, but he's obviously not ready. I don't see what he has to do with Moore, though?

At this stage; Heeney, Lever and Petracca are the standouts from 2014.

lol rekt so hard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Revised because I'm bored, based on exposed form, doing only national draft.

1. Isaac Heeney (+17)
2. Jake Lever (+12)
3. Harris Andrews (+58)
4. Peter Wright (+4)
5. Mitch McGovern (+38)
6. Touk Miller (+23)
7. Darcy Moore (+2)
8. Christian Petracca (-6)
9. Caleb Daniel (+37)
10. Caleb Marchbank (-4)
11. Jack Steele (+13)
12. Lachie Weller (+1)
13. Brayden Maynard (+17)
14. Connor Blakely (+20)
15. Billy Stretch (+27)
16. Jordan De Goey (-11)
17. Toby McLean (+9)
18. Angus Brayshaw (-15)
19. Jackson Nelson (+32)
20. Nakia Cockatoo (-10)

1 Isaac Heeney
2 Christian Petracca
3 Peter Wright
4 Jake Lever
5 Caleb Marchbank
6 Harris Andrews
7 Mitch McGovern
8 Darcy Moore
9 Jack Steele
10 Caleb Daniel
11 Adam Saad
12 Lachie Weller
13 Touk Miller
14 Toby McLean
15 Jordan De Goey
16 Nic Newman
17 Brayden Maynnard
18 Jack Lonie
19 Nakia Cockatoo
20 Braydon Preuss

Brayden Maynard is a very talented footballer. You obviously haven't seen him play.
From a non-Collingwood supporter, I rate him pretty highly. His kicking is a weapon and I love his competitiveness. You've got a pretty good player on your hands there, won't be long till he starts getting more recognition I reckon. Seems to be improving with every game. I don't think it's really a weakness of the draft if he is considered in the top 20, he just seems to be underrated externally. I do reckon the Pies really rate him though.

And Moore's level of output is closer to Fatguts than to Lever's

Position on the ground or team mates footskills don't change the reality that his output precludes him from being regarded in the same bracket as Lever and Heeney
Moore is currently sitting 6th league wide for contested marks. Considering he was playing like s**t for the first month and a half of the season that's actually fairly impressive.
Over the past month he's averaged 2 goals and 8.75 marks per game. That's pretty decent output for a 3rd year player in the hardest position on the ground, getting the best defender every week.

How's fatguts going?

From a non-Collingwood supporter, I rate him pretty highly. His kicking is a weapon and I love his competitiveness. You've got a pretty good player on your hands there, won't be long till he starts getting more recognition I reckon. Seems to be improving with every game. I don't think it's really a weakness of the draft if he is considered in the top 20, he just seems to be underrated externally. I do reckon the Pies really rate him though.
They do. There's a reason we started pumping games in to him so early on.

Moore is currently sitting 6th league wide for contested marks. Considering he was playing like s**t for the first month and a half of the season that's actually fairly impressive.
Over the past month he's averaged 2 goals and 8.75 marks per game. That's pretty decent output for a 3rd year player in the hardest position on the ground, getting the best defender every week.

How's fatguts going?
Moore looks significantly better being able to run around the ground a bit. One dimensional if left in same spot early in his career and easy to match up on as a result. Good coaching by Buckley to use him as a second ruck. Think he is on his way now and may have a high ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back