Revisiting the 2014 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it in the OP in bold writing - it's current output
To be fair, you dribbled on so much I kind of tuned out

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Top three all victims of injury. Petracca's knee and the other two repeat concussion. They've all shown plenty though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All our picks in the ND were 190cm+ players too to be fair. Durdin and Vickers-Willis will both definitely get games this year. Nielson still remains a bit of a head scratcher of a pick.
And at least they all seem to be reasonably fit at the moment. We really couldn't have have had worse luck with injuries from this draft.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Preuss ends up a rookie steal and the best of our 2014 class. There's just something about him.

Looks about right. I still expect Petracca to be the best player from this draft. My guess in terms of potential would be:

1. Petracca
2. Heeney
3. Wright
4. Moore
5. Lever

For us, I'm still pretty happy with what we chose. Laverde and Langford could have a breakout year this year with more support from senior players as they start playing in the midfield.

Last edited:
at the end of the 2014 draft i thought we had a good draft but unfortunately we only have 2 player remaining. Cavka had to be forced into retirement and waterman struck with server glandular fever and delisted. Duggan our only hope of pushing into a very good player. Nelson at best will be a nice role player.
West Coast didn't do too bad. Duggan could be very good. Nelson could become more than a role-player but every team needs role players.

My top 15:
  1. Heeney
  2. Daniel
  3. Lever
  4. McGovern
  5. Moore
  6. Wright
  7. Brayshaw
  8. Miller
  9. De Goey
  10. Weller
  11. McCartin
  12. Andrews
  13. Petracca
  14. McLean
  15. Blakely
Same players in top 15 as op but in a different order. Got the same top 3 but after that it gets very different.
Blakely has been dropped down my order. He's shown he can be a gun but he's not cemented that he's a good player just yet. Could find his way into the top 5 in coming years though.

Brayshaw is high up there because he very much reminds me of Dangerfield in the way he is courageous, quick & strong. pretty good by disposal too

Looks about right. I still expect Petracca to be the best player from this draft. My guess in terms of potential would be:

1. Petracca
2. Heeney
3. Wright
4. Moore
5. Lever

For us, I'm still pretty happy with what we choose. Laverde and Langford could have a breakout year this year with more support from senior players as they start playing in the midfield.

I Like Cooney and all, but it was that pick that got them Daniel. I guess that's payback for Merrett ;)
We ended up getting Biggs and Declan Hamilton from the Cooney pick. The Liam Jones trade got us Caleb Daniel.

I Like Cooney and all, but it was that pick that got them Daniel. I guess that's payback for Merrett ;)

We got Daniel for the pick we got for Liam Jones.

The Cooney pick was on traded to Sydney for premiership half back Shane Biggs and a pick

Very happy with the 5 we have from this draft (McCartin, Goddard, McKenzie and Steele all drafted/bid on in the first 22, plus Lonie) and am very confident that all bar maybe Goddard will rise up in the rankings by the end of the year, all things being equal. Goddard coming back from a ruptured achilles might take until 2018 to really start coming up with the goods. Happy with Jack Sinclair from the rookie draft as well. Very talented/classy and ought to have an AFL career.

Looking like a pretty good quality draft and always looked like a good top 20. Will be good to see who really emerges with a 3rd preseason under their belt.

Who has performed better than his thus far but arguably Lever? Daniel just finished 2nd in the rising star.
Coming second in the rising star last year is a bit irrelevant though if you are comparing him to players from his 2014 draft year because many weren't eligible for the award last season. Stats wise Daniel is pretty even with Miller. Would probably take Heeney, Lever, Wright and Moore before Daniel as well if the draft was to be re-done on exposed form.

Daniel is already the best ball user on a premiership team. I'd swap him for Heeney, Moore, Lever, Wright and Petracca. That's it.

Did ridiculously well to turn Liam Jones into him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies and Giants missed on Peter Wright, although Giants were pretty well stocked with tall forwards.

Collingwood could have had their key forwards for the next ten years set with Moore and Wright.

Pies and Giants missed on Peter Wright, although Giants were pretty well stocked with tall forwards.

Collingwood could have had their key forwards for the next ten years set with Moore and Wright.
Wright is a missed opportunity but we're very happy with De Goey's development thus far so not all is lost. Hopefully we can pluck a decent forward this year, either in the draft and/or a mature age from another club, like Sam Reid.

Wright is a missed opportunity but we're very happy with De Goey's development thus far so not all is lost. Hopefully we can pluck a decent forward this year, either in the draft and/or a mature age from another club, like Sam Reid.

Yep, hopefully DeGoey works out. Makes you wonder why Hine prioritised a mid/fwd over a key forward at pick 5 with Pendles, Swan, Sidebottom, Adams and Greenwood (and later Treloar, the latter costing key forward Weideman and key back Logue). Obviously didn't realise Cloke had such a limited shelf life at the Pies.

Talls normally take longer to develop than kids so perhaps they do need to find a ready made one from another club. Not sure they can or are willing to give up another first rounder after forgoing 2 first rounders in the last two years. And offering extra $$$ may be a stretch after signing up Mayne and Wells to hefty deals this season.

Will be interesting to see what they do.

Yep, hopefully DeGoey works out. Makes you wonder why Hine prioritised a mid/fwd over a key forward at pick 5 with Pendles, Swan, Sidebottom, Adams and Greenwood (and later Treloar, the latter costing key forward Weideman and key back Logue). Obviously didn't realise Cloke had such a limited shelf life at the Pies.

Talls normally take longer to develop than kids so perhaps they do need to find a ready made one from another club. Not sure they can or are willing to give up another first rounder after forgoing 2 first rounders in the last two years. And offering extra $$$ may be a stretch after signing up Mayne and Wells to hefty deals this season.

Will be interesting to see what they do.
That's pretty much it. Cloke was expected to last a few more years at the top - his dad played at the top level until 36 so to say the least, we had high expectations. The loss of Beams set us back big time and whilst Greenwood was a decent fill-in and Crisp turned out better than we could have imagined, they never would have added up to Beams at the time so the logical thinking was to select the best available mid I think. There were still some question marks over Adams at the time also so basically we were down to an aging Swan who always signaled his interest for retiring prematurely, plus Steele and Pendlebury. I still believe Hine nailed our two biggest needs at the time - the key forward (Moore) and the attacking midfielder (De Goey).

I'd say we'll just hit the draft for the next couple of years and take what we can get, the key forward and the tall defensive utility are top of the list for me.

3rd year for players from this draft which is normally the time we see a lot of players break out. So potentially the top 10 list could change quite a bit.

I'm optimistic for Essendon's draftees in Laverde and Langford that they will be big improvers this year. Long was the other one and I think he will earn himself a rookie elevation but that's about it.

De goey was a sure thing pre draft. Nothing wrong with taking the safe option when you have one of the best contested marks up forward. No one expected Cloke to regress like he did

That's pretty much it. Cloke was expected to last a few more years at the top - his dad played at the top level until 36 so to say the least, we had high expectations. The loss of Beams set us back big time and whilst Greenwood was a decent fill-in and Crisp turned out better than we could have imagined, they never would have added up to Beams at the time so the logical thinking was to select the best available mid I think. There were still some question marks over Adams at the time also so basically we were down to an aging Swan who always signaled his interest for retiring prematurely, plus Steele and Pendlebury. I still believe Hine nailed our two biggest needs at the time - the key forward (Moore) and the attacking midfielder (De Goey).

I'd say we'll just hit the draft for the next couple of years and take what we can get, the key forward and the tall defensive utility are top of the list for me.
Agree.
While the Treloar trade gave up exactly what you say the Pies are after, he's going to be your best mid in a couple of years. Giving up DeGoey for Wright would have been a no brainer. I'd imagine if Hine was offered this at end of year he would jump at it. But with hindsight I suppose everyone's an expert.

Harris Andrews will be top 5 at the end of everyones careers. Finally starting to add some mass and will only get better. 2m key defender with great athleticism, leadership and reading of the play can also play forward and nab a few goals. Under rated by OP after having to hold down the key post in a side getting belted week in week out while being under developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back