Revisiting the 2014 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geelong's focus was Ablett and managing their salary cap to get him, no chance they even discussed it. Carlton was purely focussed on Gibbs and getting in Kennedy we had no assets to trade for him. Even then we have no interest in him at all.
Put it this way, Collingwood had no interest in Schache, who’s got better exposed form than McCartin from his first year, who they could have had for a pack of chips. No way did they put a 3 year deal in front of McCartin who’s a headknock away from retirement.

I'll accept that and say that others rate the other two higher based on potential.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=17&type=A&pid1=4057&pid2=4026&fid1=C&fid2=C

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...d2=5&type=A&pid1=4057&pid2=4043&fid1=C&fid2=C

Looking at this, McLean is ahead of both Heeney and De Goey based on output and is already a premiership player. From what I've seen I don't see why his potential would be more limited than the other two so I often wonder why he isn't rated higher.
Probably has something to do with the fact that you follow the dogs, I'd say

Plenty of reason to worry about Paddy. The bloke has a glass skull
I quite like watching Paddy play. The glimpses he's shown suggest he could be special but as you've stated the worries are very real.

Revised
1. Isaac Heeney
2. Harris Andrews
3. Jake Lever
4. Connor Blakely
5. Christian Petracca
6. Jordan De Goey
7. Peter Wright
8. Caleb Daniel
9. Touk Miller
10. Darcy Moore
11. Toby McLean
12. Mitch McGovern
13. Lachie Weller
14. Caleb Marchbank
15. Brayden Maynard
16. Jack Steele
17. Alex Neal-Bullen
18. Bailey Dale
19. Liam Duggan
20. Billy Stretch

That's based off current production, in my opinion. This factors in consistency more so than current form and season. Toby McLean is one I see as relatively low now but could be top five come the end of next season.

The rookie draft was quite interesting too: Jack Sinclair, Adam Saad, Nic Newman, Jason Castagna, Kane Lambert and Conor McKenna are all decent to good players who could be long term options for their clubs.

Dalrymple deserves Tom Boyd money. Delivers the runs consistently that would justify the salary. Started with pick 25 this draft and just killed it with the players left on the board from that point on.

Dalrymple deserves Tom Boyd money. Delivers the runs consistently that would justify the salary. Started with pick 25 this draft and just killed it with the players left on the board from that point on.
Was just thinking about how Marcus Bontempelli was one of the greatest draft picks of all time.

Heeney - Sydney
Blakely - Freo
Lever - Adelaide
Weller - Gold Coast
Wright - Gold Coast
Petracca - Dees
Duggan - Eagles
Steele - Saints
Marchbank - Blues
Daniel - Bullies

I quite like watching Paddy play. The glimpses he's shown suggest he could be special but as you've stated the worries are very real.
He wasn't a consensus top 2 pick just for giggles, so I fully expect that if he gets a good run at it going forward he'll leave plenty with egg on their faces.

Showed plenty in his 2nd season in particular, but then after having only done about 40% of his first preseason, and 80% of his 2nd, due to his diabetes, he did the whole preseason last year, yet instead of coming out of it fitter than ever, as you would normally expect, he looked worse for it, and there has been talk that that was because of all the "crap" he ate, to try to keep his blood sugar levels in check under the increased workload.

So he looked in worse shape in his 3rd year than he did in his 2nd and it reflected in his footy, but that concussion at the end of the year could potentially turn out to be a blessing, as he was still able to train during those last several weeks, and did a "mini preseason", reportedly being much fitter by the end of it.

The results of that have shown up today, as he beat his previous time trial PB by a "significant" margin, so fingers crossed he gets a full preseason under his belt, gets on top of what he needs to do re the his diabetes and fronts up to the start of the 2018 season in by far the best shape he's been in in his short career. (Like say Membrey did, at the start of 2016, his 4th year).

The concussions sure are a concern though. Like Johnno Brown and Nick Riewoldt before him, he has little to no regard for his own safety when there's a ball in the air in his area, so he's going to need a lot of luck to avoid further concussions.

I'm glad we were able to get Josh Battle cheaply last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back