Revisiting the 2014 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Revised on current output:
1. Jake Lever - one of the best intercept defenders in the competition already. Elite mark and great kick of the footy.
2. Isaac Heeney - the young midfield prototype - finds the pill and uses it well, is hard at it and kicks goals
3. Harris Andrews - arguably the best young key defender in the AFL. Strong one-on-one and a terrific intercept mark.
4. Christian Petracca - already a proven big-game forward with midfield scope.
5. Connor Blakely - had a huge 2017 where he has shown to be one of the best defensive midfielders in the comp already
6. Toby McLean - I feel he really came on this year and was stiff to miss the 22under22 team. Has shown a lot as a defensive forward and midfielder.
7. Peter Wright - 58 goals in two seasons for a 20 year old forward/ruck is no shameful effort.
8. Mitch McGovern - already a very solid third tall forward, who has proven to be a game changer
9. Caleb Daniel - has been a solid contributor for a while now at the Dogs
10. Touk Miller - his ceiling is up there with the best so far but unfortunately has been too inconsistent to be ranked higher

Very even few at the bottom of the top ten though, and you could exchange some with many others - Marchbank, Moore, De Goey, Steele, Weller, Maynard, Duggan etc. I like to think the Collingwood trio Moore, Maynard and De Goey can all be top ten by the end of next season.

Revised on current output:
1. Jake Lever - one of the best intercept defenders in the competition already. Elite mark and great kick of the footy.
2. Isaac Heeney - the young midfield prototype - finds the pill and uses it well, is hard at it and kicks goals
3. Harris Andrews - arguably the best young key defender in the AFL. Strong one-on-one and a terrific intercept mark.
4. Christian Petracca - already a proven big-game forward with midfield scope.
5. Connor Blakely - had a huge 2017 where he has shown to be one of the best defensive midfielders in the comp already
6. Toby McLean - I feel he really came on this year and was stiff to miss the 22under22 team. Has shown a lot as a defensive forward and midfielder.
7. Peter Wright - 58 goals in two seasons for a 20 year old forward/ruck is no shameful effort.
8. Mitch McGovern - already a very solid third tall forward, who has proven to be a game changer
9. Caleb Daniel - has been a solid contributor for a while now at the Dogs
10. Touk Miller - his ceiling is up there with the best so far but unfortunately has been too inconsistent to be ranked higher

Very even few at the bottom of the top ten though, and you could exchange some with many others - Marchbank, Moore, De Goey, Steele, Weller, Maynard, Duggan etc. I like to think the Collingwood trio Moore, Maynard and De Goey can all be top ten by the end of next season.
Does ban butler never get a mention in these conversations based on that he went in the 60's? Because he had a outstanding year. Had some big moments in games and kicked 30 goals. Acheived alot more than some blokes listed here.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Does ban butler never get a mention in these conversations based on that he went in the 60's? Because he had a outstanding year. Had some big moments in games and kicked 30 goals. Acheived alot more than some blokes listed here.

He had a pretty good season but has only played seniors for one year. Others have offered similar or more for longer.

He had a pretty good season but has only played seniors for one year. Others have offered similar or more for longer.
Yeah others have. Not all. Pretty good? 30 goals in his first year is excellent. His two running goals, one against west coast and one against port shows me the confidence that he belongs at senior level for a long time and will be a high achiever. Not saying he is better than everyone listed just think he should start being in the conversation.

Was just talking about this draft with someone. At the time we were in 2 minds if we'd made a mistake taking Weller over Lever but reasonably confident we had at least a decent player. Blakely I'd seen a bit of and was just gobsmacked WC let him go by not just once but twice. I would have been ok with us using our first.
When it was obvious Lever was leaving I felt better about Weller but not for long when he said he was packing his bags but then to get pick 2 in, wow what a ride! We may have been able to get Brayshaw at 5 anyway but to get Cerra as well . . . amazing.
As for the actual question I think the top 3 is between Lever, Heeney & Petracca as been posted above.

Love how composed he is in this piece of play.

To firstly win the ball, then hold his nerve with a player chasing a metre away and then finish going full tilt.

Nice :thumbsu:

He was being chased by Mitch Clark. Should probably be embarrassed it took him so long to make any distance from him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I bet Jarrod was really embarrassed after kicking that goal o_O was a pretty poor piece of play.
Ive seen some duds have one or two great pieces of play

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Write him off at your own peril. I think he deserves atleast another 2 preseasons considering the circumstances. Has a load of talent.

Didn’t he quit and go crying to Mama? Not sure why he deserves 2 preseasons for being a sook.

It probably shows his mental fragility and will quit Carlton when things get a little tough

I wouldn’t have any Richmond player top 10 but I’d probably have 4-5 in the top 30. Lambert, butler, castagna, and menadue which is the most debatable at this stage
Yep picked up some great role players in this draft

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

adammania9 if you’re including rookies, Kane Lambert is the second best player to come out of this draft based on output.

In comparison to Christian Petracca (who plays a similar medium forward/midfield role that you have ranked fourth), he averaged more games, kicks, handballs, disposals, marks, behinds, tackles, inside 50s, goal assists, frees for (Christian averaged more frees against), effective disposals (Christian averaged more clangers), rebound 50s, 1%ers, bounces, stoppage clearances, metres gained, intercepts, tackles inside 50s and Champion Data points.

Additionally, he finished third in the premiers BNF in comparison to Christian’s seventh position in the team that finished 9th. Lambert also made Robbo’s top fifty at the end of the season whereas Christian didn’t.

I’m not saying Lambert will have the better career, but based on output and form this season he’s comfortably ahead of Christian and arguably everyone else in this draft bar Heeney.

I know this is unpopular because it goes against the narrative spouted out by BF main boarders that all Richmond players outside of Martin are spuds and that Melbourne are superior to us in every single way, but it’s all right in front of you. You can try to spin it as much as you want (and anyone can for that matter), but as it stands Lambert is a superior footballer than Petracca.

adammania9 if you’re including rookies, Kane Lambert is the second best player to come out of this draft based on output.

In comparison to Christian Petracca (who plays a similar medium forward/midfield role that you have ranked fourth), he averaged more games, kicks, handballs, disposals, marks, behinds, tackles, inside 50s, goal assists, frees for (Christian averaged more frees against), effective disposals (Christian averaged more clangers), rebound 50s, 1%ers, bounces, stoppage clearances, metres gained, intercepts, tackles inside 50s and Champion Data points.

Additionally, he finished third in the premiers BNF in comparison to Christian’s seventh position in the team that finished 9th. Lambert also made Robbo’s top fifty at the end of the season whereas Christian didn’t.

I’m not saying Lambert will have the better career, but based on output and form this season he’s comfortably ahead of Christian and arguably everyone else in this draft bar Heeney.

I know this is unpopular because it goes against the narrative spouted out by BF main boarders that all Richmond players outside of Martin are spuds and that Melbourne are superior to us in every single way, but it’s all right in front of you. You can try to spin it as much as you want (and anyone can for that matter), but as it stands Lambert is a superior footballer than Petracca.

I'd suggest teams put far more work into Petracca than they do Lambert. Lambert is very run of the mill player that plays a role.

Last edited:
I'd suggest teams put far more work into Petracca than they do Lambert. Lambert is very run if the mill player that plays a role.
I would suggest you watch Lambert more because that opinion is dated.

I don’t disagree regarding attention but the rankings are based on output and Lambert’s output is far greater than Petracca’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back