Revisiting the 2014 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got Daniel for the pick we got for Liam Jones.

The Cooney pick was on traded to Sydney for premiership half back Shane Biggs and a pick
Daniel for Jones is pure gold!!!

If I ever have to discuss Stuart Anderson again he will now be known as premiership half back Stuart Anderson.

If I ever have to discuss Stuart Anderson again he will now be known as premiership half back Stuart Anderson.
Loses its effect if you didn't get him from Essendon and or Sydney for one good knee and a bag of chips

Yep, hopefully DeGoey works out. Makes you wonder why Hine prioritised a mid/fwd over a key forward at pick 5 with Pendles, Swan, Sidebottom, Adams and Greenwood (and later Treloar, the latter costing key forward Weideman and key back Logue). Obviously didn't realise Cloke had such a limited shelf life at the Pies.

Talls normally take longer to develop than kids so perhaps they do need to find a ready made one from another club. Not sure they can or are willing to give up another first rounder after forgoing 2 first rounders in the last two years. And offering extra $$$ may be a stretch after signing up Mayne and Wells to hefty deals this season.

Will be interesting to see what they do.

Having watched De Goey the other night against our mob it reminded me why he was rated so highly when he was drafted.
It must be frustrating he doesn't do it week in week out although I'm sure he'll get there eventually.

Pies and Giants missed on Peter Wright, although Giants were pretty well stocked with tall forwards.

Collingwood could have had their key forwards for the next ten years set with Moore and Wright.
GWS could have used Wright I reckon. Lobb takes over ruck when Mummy retires then Patton FF Wright CHF and JC causing havoc as a third tall. The marking power across the team would be even more immense than it is.

Having watched De Goey the other night against our mob it reminded me why he was rated so highly when he was drafted.
It must be frustrating he doesn't do it week in week out although I'm sure he'll get there eventually.
Yeah he could end up decent I agree. But a combo of Wright and Moore in the Collingwood forward line would have given them a dominant tall forward combo for the next ten years. The Pies are already stacked with attacking mids.

I'd suggest they're taking the piss. Seems a remarkable conclusion based on available information
Was pretty bloody good in 2016 considering he missed all of 2015 with a knee reco and had no pre season in 2016. Not unreasonable to think he won't go to a new level with a pre season and 2 years removed from doing his knee

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Quality draft.

Everyone was expecting Freo to draft a KPP with their first pick. The meltdown on the Freo board when Lachie Weller was selected is absolute quality.

Yeah he could end up decent I agree. But a combo of Wright and Moore in the Collingwood forward line would have given them a dominant tall forward combo for the next ten years. The Pies are already stacked with attacking mids.
In fairness you did end up with the formidable Jesse White so not to much is lost out there.......

Wright is a missed opportunity but we're very happy with De Goey's development thus far so not all is lost. Hopefully we can pluck a decent forward this year, either in the draft and/or a mature age from another club, like Sam Reid.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but at the time of the draft getting a quality Mid and Moore was a good call.

I think 2 metre peter might be the best from this draft in time, but picking key forwards is always tough and can go either way, Butcher!!!.

Very happy with the 5 we have from this draft (McCartin, Goddard, McKenzie and Steele all drafted/bid on in the first 22, plus Lonie) and am very confident that all bar maybe Goddard will rise up in the rankings by the end of the year, all things being equal. Goddard coming back from a ruptured achilles might take until 2018 to really start coming up with the goods. Happy with Jack Sinclair from the rookie draft as well. Very talented/classy and ought to have an AFL career.

Looking like a pretty good quality draft and always looked like a good top 20. Will be good to see who really emerges with a 3rd preseason under their belt.

Really does look like a quality top 20, and you guys placed you selves in a good position having a few lower picks so could turn out very well for you.

Hope to see McCartin stay concussion free and really like Steele, was hoping port would make a play for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming second in the rising star last year is a bit irrelevant though if you are comparing him to players from his 2014 draft year because many weren't eligible for the award last season. Stats wise Daniel is pretty even with Miller. Would probably take Heeney, Lever, Wright and Moore before Daniel as well if the draft was to be re-done on exposed form.
apart from moore, i agree.

Pies and Giants missed on Peter Wright, although Giants were pretty well stocked with tall forwards.

Collingwood could have had their key forwards for the next ten years set with Moore and Wright.
true. moore will only be the 2nd forward imo. wright will be a beast.

Wrights on another level to Moore. Wright + Lynch will be unstoppable. Scary with Gablett, Ainsworth, Ah Chee, and Matera at their feet as well.

Disagree with this. Both look to be super prospects to me. Different players, but each capable of being a (or the) main focal point for their teams for years to come. Wright won't need to be the number one target, at least not for a while, given he has Lynch alongside him, so he may have it easier, development wise, than Moore.

Disagree with this. Both look to be super prospects to me. Different players, but each capable of being a (or the) main focal point for their teams for years to come. Wright won't need to be the number one target, at least not for a while, given he has Lynch alongside him, so he may have it easier, development wise, than Moore.
Fair enough. Not really sure what you're disagreeing with though.

Your view that Wright is "on another level to Moore".
Yeah probably over rated Wright a bit but I just think Moore will always have an injury niggle or two throughout his career. If I had to choose between the two I'd definitely take Wright who I think is someone who offers more flexibility with his decent ability to ruck. Champion Data rated Wright the best key forward ever at his age recently as well. Shows he is doing a lot of things right.

1. Touk Miller

Just wait and you will see. No other young player in the competition resembles Sam Mitchell in playing style more than him, and he's improving rapidly.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but at the time of the draft getting a quality Mid and Moore was a good call.

I think 2 metre peter might be the best from this draft in time, but picking key forwards is always tough and can go either way, Butcher!!!.
Yup, but this thread is about reviewing the draft 2 years later and Wright and Moore would have set the Pies up for key forwards for the next ten years.

Nothing against Degoey, he just looks the wrong choice for where the Pies are at two years later.

1. Touk Miller

Just wait and you will see. No other young player in the competition resembles Sam Mitchell in playing style more than him, and he's improving rapidly.
He is fast and runs with the ball, something Mitchell never did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back