Revisiting the 2014 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 what? Maybe they had the top ten then 6 blokes after that and he was the 6th. No chance he was being taken at 6
Our head recruiter has already stated that he would have been selected at 6 if Stephenson’s medical report had not been positive. Stop arguing about this ffs, all the evidence points to you being completely wrong.

Ed makes a phone call to all the new draftees after they’re drafted every single year. They filmed it this year for a documentary.

What’s your point? Are you saying he randomly came out with a number to blow smoke up Murphy’s arse?

Let’s review:
Derek Hine has said that Murphy was at 6 on our draft board.
Eddie told Murphy he was 6 on our board.
Murphy was invited to the draft, by the AFL (no, he didn’t fly up to Sydney just on his own whim, he was one of the 20 invitees) which means at least 1 club was considering him inside the top 10.

The only logical conclusion is that we rated him at 6 and we were the club who nominated him, meaning the AFL invited him. We overlooked him for Stephenson who we had at number 3 on our board. He was overlooked by other clubs who obviously had others higher on their boards and slipped to 39.

It was a weird draft. I’m sure Port weren’t expecting to land Hayes with their 3rd rounder. No sure why it’s so hard for you to accept.

Point is mate they can say whatever they want after the draft and what do you think is more marketable for fans like yoursef?

May be true but just think you are naive if you really believe eddies conversations were private and spontanious lol what better way to build excitement than get all the collingwood fans to believe they got two picls 6's for one lol

Oh and by the way there were 17 other clubs who also got steals and couldnt believe "said" player was there for their pick.

If fans stip being so naive clubs will stop feeding bullshit up their arse lol

I get that collingwood fans are ridiculously ine eyed and i respect their loyalty but for once i would like to see a collingwood fan who just for once could not talk their club up and just be realistic. Murphy was taken where he was taken because most likely that was where clubs rated him.

Point is mate they can say whatever they want after the draft and what do you think is more marketable for fans like yoursef?

May be true but just think you are naive if you really believe eddies conversations were private and spontanious lol what better way to build excitement than get all the collingwood fans to believe they got two picls 6's for one lol

Oh and by the way there were 17 other clubs who also got steals and couldnt believe "said" player was there for their pick.

Collingwood always win trade week and the draft. Look at Sier according to Collingwood he would have gone Top 10 in the following draft and they rated him early. Happens every year just not many people believe it.

Murphy was invited to the draft as a prospective top 10 pick after being nominated by a club in the top 10. There were rumours before the draft that we would take him at 6. He was overlooked by every other club until 39.

If he was nominated as a top 10 pick by a club, and then overlooked by every other club who had a top 10 pick until pick 39, isn’t the logical conclusion that Collingwood was the club who nominated him as a potential top 10 pick in the first place, and therefore had him at 6 on their draft board?

I get that collingwood fans are ridiculously ine eyed and i respect their loyalty but for once i would like to see a collingwood fan who just for once could not talk their club up and just be realistic. Murphy was taken where he was taken because most likely that was where clubs rated him.

Yeah apparently Sydney and the Western Bulldogs rated him a top ten pick but chose to ignore him four times.

Murphy was invited to the draft as a prospective top 10 pick after being nominated by a club in the top 10. There were rumours before the draft that we would take him at 6. He was overlooked by every other club until 39.

If he was nominated as a top 10 pick by a club, and then overlooked by every other club who had a top 10 pick until pick 39, isn’t the logical conclusion that Collingwood was the club who nominated him as a potential top 10 pick in the first place, and therefore had him at 6 on their draft board?

No

Where other clubs rated him. In a draft where there were a huge amount of sliders/bolters I’m not sure why it’s so difficult to believe that a club could rate a player very differently to others.

Well I’m not exactly going to post a Petracca highlights reel to make an argument, am I? I posted enough key statistics to give an indication of where Lambert dominated and to me that was pretty convincing. As for the goals stat, Christian played predominantly forward and Lambert played predominantly midfield, so he has more opportunity to score goals, but vice versa, Lambert had more opportunity to rack up possessions. Stats obviously aren’t perfect and I can’t rely solely on them but they do paint a decent enough picture, especially in this instance.

You come across as an honest poster, so I’m going to ask you, do you think Petracca had a better season than Lambert? If I had to rate them, Christian would have been about 67/100 whereas Lambert would’ve been about 79/100.
Depends really I mean Petracca played predominantly forward as you say and Lambert played more midfield. Lambert possibly had the better year and played a vital role. Lambert also finished 3rd in the b and f which is a fair effort. Petracca faded as the year wore on. Interestingly Petracca was in the afl player ratings team for a lot of the year which is sort of going by impact. Unsure of where they both finished in the rankings as can’t seem to access the stat.
Anyway they would rate fairly close to output this year Taking into account positions.

Where other clubs rated him. In a draft where there were a huge amount of sliders/bolters I’m not sure why it’s so difficult to believe that a club could rate a player very differently to others.

Huge amount of sliders and bolters? The whole 30 ais list got drafdted and pretty much wvery player rated worth drafted went lol

And im not sure why in this social media and technologically advanced times you cant see that maybe, just maybe, the club is telling the fans what they want to hear!

And i cant recall and wish i had some footage of the draft but i would hope collingwood took him within seconds of the earlier pick being called? As if rated 6 then they would have had absoloutly nothing to think about (please someone have footage hahha)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge amount of sliders and bolters? The whole 30 ais list got drafdted and pretty much wvery player rated worth drafted went lol

And im not sure why in this social media and technologically advanced times you cant see that maybe, just maybe, the club is telling the fans what they want to hear!

And i cant recall and wish i had some footage of the draft but i would hope collingwood took him within seconds of the earlier pick being called? As if rated 6 then they would have had absoloutly nothing to think about (please someone have footage hahha)
They did take him immediately.

Edit: 1st pick in the 3rd round, so there was a break regardless, but there was not even a countdown shown before Collingwoods selection went in they did it so fast. Just watched the footage on YouTube.

Last edited:
Depends really I mean Petracca played predominantly forward as you say and Lambert played more midfield. Lambert possibly had the better year and played a vital role. Lambert also finished 3rd in the b and f which is a fair effort. Petracca faded as the year wore on. Interestingly Petracca was in the afl player ratings team for a lot of the year which is sort of going by impact. Unsure of where they both finished in the rankings as can’t seem to access the stat.
Anyway they would rate fairly close to output this year Taking into account positions.
Christian is a lot more damaging. His brilliance was just too few and far between for me this season. No doubt he will work on his endurance and drop a few kgs over the summer. When he does he will eclipse Lambert quite easily. But anyway, glad to hear Lambert is getting some recognition. Good luck next season.

What’s the issue with pies ranking Murphy top 10. That is their rankings. Obviously not many if any other clubs had him that high given the amount of times he was passed over. Doesn’t mean pies didn’t actually have him ranked that’s high.

Was more the point in which he said that it cane up on a private call between eddie and murphy so had to be true. Ignoring the fact that the call was filmed.

As i have nmentioned it May have been true but also may just be a way to pump up the collingwood fans and sell hope. Really just trying to get a collingwood fan to for once at least recognise that there is the smallest ounce of possibility that just maybe their club is telling them what they want to hear. Other clubs fans have learnt that this occurs from time to time (aka suns and ablett injury) but collingwood still seem to miss this skill

Was more the point in which he said that it cane up on a private call between eddie and murphy so had to be true. Ignoring the fact that the call was filmed.

As i have nmentioned it May have been true but also may just be a way to pump up the collingwood fans and sell hope. Really just trying to get a collingwood fan to for once at least recognise that there is the smallest ounce of possibility that just maybe their club is telling them what they want to hear. Other clubs fans have learnt that this occurs from time to time (aka suns and ablett injury) but collingwood still seem to miss this skill
Absolutely clubs want to talk up draftees. What would be interesting would be to see each clubs rankings. However we’ll never get thst access.

Collingwood always win trade week and the draft. Look at Sier according to Collingwood he would have gone Top 10 in the following draft and they rated him early. Happens every year just not many people believe it.
Hahahahahahahaha wtf

20 kids there 18 clubs.
Only clubs with a top 10 pick can nominate players. Each club has a different list of players they submit to the AFL. Do you really think every club has the same players within that top 10?

You really have no idea about the amount of cynicism there is on the Collingwood board regarding propaganda, do you? Only the eternally optimistic swallow most of the garbage that comes out of the Holden centre these days, case in point the Murray trade, which the explanation from the club was only accepted by idiots and the fans who refuse to believe the club can do no wrong.

This is a case though, in which all the overwhelming evidence points to Collingwood actually rating Murphy at 6. Instead you’ve simply latched in to one part of that being Ed’s phone call and said lol propaganda!

Only clubs with a top 10 pick can nominate players. Each club has a different list of players they submit to the AFL. Do you really think every club has the same players within that top 10?

So 10 clubs now nominate 2 players do they? Please just stop Murphy was a roughie that Collingwood showed some interest towards the weeks before the draft so his name became more prominent in the media and phantom drafts.

So 10 clubs now nominate 2 players do they? Please just stop Murphy was a roughie that Collingwood showed some interest towards the weeks before the draft so his name became more prominent in the media and phantom drafts.
Of course they can! If clubs could only nominate one player then what happens if that player is already taken on draft night and their next preference hasn’t been invited?
You’re the one who needs to stop, your lack of understanding of how draft night works is astonishing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back