Revisiting the 2014 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
makes me cry at night why we over looked touk miller the guy is just want we need a born leader/mid,dogs did well really rate dale,webb who can't get a look in..

tigers missed imo ellis looks like a soft winger, remember many stunned he went so high.
First your wrong secondly no one was that stunned

Sorry. Last time I checked this is 'revisiting the 2014 AFL draft' thread. If you don't like reading what an AFL endorsed company rates a player from the 2014 AFL draft then I suggest you go elsewhere. Not sure what you were expecting clicking on this thread TBH.

Champion Data gets some weird results from their ratings system. Most people know that. So don't get antsy when others dismiss CD arguments as objective proof of something.

Champion Data gets some weird results from their ratings system. Most people know that. So don't get antsy when others dismiss CD arguments as objective proof of something.
I was merely passing on information that has been published... it fits in this thread considering it's talking about Wright who was drafted in the 2014 AFL draft. It would have to be the best tool we have at our disposal to determine the draft rankings you would think? They get data that isn't publicly available... Like I said in a later post even I had question marks over the ranking of Wright from CD... but at the end of the day we are arm chair experts

I was merely passing on information that has been published... it fits in this thread considering it's talking about Wright who was drafted in the 2014 AFL draft. It would have to be the best tool we have at our disposal to determine the draft rankings you would think?

I don't think so, no. The CD system throws up some odd ratings at times that's for sure. Yes, it's a tool, but if all you've got to fix your car with is a 10mm spanner, you're not going to get far. So good for you introducing CD's analysis to the conversation, it's a perfectly valid contribution; but don't get your back up when other posters don't gobble it up as a gold standard of objective reality and tell them to go elsewhere.

Vickers-Willis and Durdin are a huge chance to debut in round 1 and Preuss could be a rookie gem. We will know a lot more about this draft for us at seasons end.
Yep.

Third year for injury riddled KPP's and a rookie ruckman. Preuss is probably tracking ahead of where they expected him to be whereas this is probably the year we expected at least a couple of Durdin, Nielsen and EVW to contribute in the seniors. And it looks like Durdin and EVW have earnt a spot in round 1 through their performances in the pre-season.

Vickers-Willis and Durdin are a huge chance to debut in round 1 and Preuss could be a rookie gem. We will know a lot more about this draft for us at seasons end.

Some kids take a little longer than others, doesn't mean they aren't talented, or weren't good selections. Premature calls on kids are just that, premature.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies and Giants missed on Peter Wright, although Giants were pretty well stocked with tall forwards.

Collingwood could have had their key forwards for the next ten years set with Moore and Wright.

I agree and Wright been a Very Good Fit and I wanted us to Draft Him pre-Draft.

Though De Goey will be at least a very good Player

That's pretty much it. Cloke was expected to last a few more years at the top - his dad played at the top level until 36 so to say the least, we had high expectations. The loss of Beams set us back big time and whilst Greenwood was a decent fill-in and Crisp turned out better than we could have imagined, they never would have added up to Beams at the time so the logical thinking was to select the best available mid I think. There were still some question marks over Adams at the time also so basically we were down to an aging Swan who always signaled his interest for retiring prematurely, plus Steele and Pendlebury. I still believe Hine nailed our two biggest needs at the time - the key forward (Moore) and the attacking midfielder (De Goey).

I'd say we'll just hit the draft for the next couple of years and take what we can get, the key forward and the tall defensive utility are top of the list for me.

Though Mids are lot easier to find then Talls

People are actually power ranking Petracca over Heeney?

Too many cans my friends

I reckon Petracca will he something Special and could be ranked as a top 2-3 Player of this Draft Class when All said and Done

Very comfortable with how we went this draft.

Petracca - Very confident he'll break out this year. His strengths are obvious, but I think people will be surprised at how well he uses the ball. I get strong Dangerfield vibes when I watch him play

Brayshaw - Injury interrupted 2016 after a great 2015 playing on the HFF. Almost is a bit hurt by the fact we have so many mids so he doesn't quite get the midfield time I'd like him to, but great all round player. He'll probably never be a top 20-30 player in the competition but he is the epitome of an all round player. Kicks on both sides, tough, above average pace, great overhead and can play both inside and outside

Stretch - Is another one who is hard at it despite his slight (But filling out) frame. Will never be a star but real good role player. Uses the ball very well and like Brayshaw isn't lightning but has reasonable legspeed

Neal-Bullen - Potentially delisted at the end of the year but could see him getting a go at another club. Has great VFL form in midfield but I'm of the view he doesn't have enough weapons to make it at AFL level, happy to be proven wrong

Oscar McDonald - Club took a big gamble on him in 2016 playing him so much when he probably wasn't ready, I think that'll start to pay off this year. Should fill out to be a pretty damn solid defender I think, is taller than his brother and has a bit more bulk

Vandenberg - I'm in the minority at Melbourne but whilst I love his tackling and hustle in the forwardline, doesn't quite have the polish to make it at the top level. Again happy to be proven wrong, but he's already exceeded expectations as a rookie pick

Petracca and Laverde I expect to be in the top 10 by years end, Petracca top 2

Petrucca will be the best player in this draft. He's every chance to be the best mid and best forward in this draft.

Man, Essendon supporters really love Petracca. Am I right citizen-erased ? Hands off though ;)

Petracca - Very confident he'll break out this year. His strengths are obvious, but I think people will be surprised at how well he uses the ball. I get strong Dangerfield vibes when I watch him play

Brayshaw - Injury interrupted 2016 after a great 2015 playing on the HFF. Almost is a bit hurt by the fact we have so many mids so he doesn't quite get the midfield time I'd like him to, but great all round player. He'll probably never be a top 20-30 player in the competition but he is the epitome of an all round player. Kicks on both sides, tough, above average pace, great overhead and can play both inside and outside

Stretch - Is another one who is hard at it despite his slight (But filling out) frame. Will never be a star but real good role player. Uses the ball very well and like Brayshaw isn't lightning but has reasonable legspeed

Neal-Bullen - Potentially delisted at the end of the year but could see him getting a go at another club. Has great VFL form in midfield but I'm of the view he doesn't have enough weapons to make it at AFL level, happy to be proven wrong

Oscar McDonald - Club took a big gamble on him in 2016 playing him so much when he probably wasn't ready, I think that'll start to pay off this year. Should fill out to be a pretty damn solid defender I think, is taller than his brother and has a bit more bulk

Vandenberg - I'm in the minority at Melbourne but whilst I love his tackling and hustle in the forwardline, doesn't quite have the polish to make it at the top level. Again happy to be proven wrong, but he's already exceeded expectations as a rookie pick

Man, Essendon supporters really love Petracca. Am I right citizen-erased ? Hands off though ;)
I was a fan of Petracca before he was drafted I got to see a lot of him at Eastern in his underage year, still thought you guys got a steal when he didn't go pick 1

Very happy with our draft.

Lever obviously is a gem, same with McGovern. Two very dangerous talks that will hopefully have long and prosperous careers at our club. Wigg has shown enough last year and also in Friday night's game to make me think he has a future ahead of him, but wait and see. O'Brien and Dear both projects, but both have shown some promise and potential.

Been a huge fan of Petrucca since before he made the switch from basketball.

Was on the Petracca train big time pre draft, all I hope is that I'm not disappointed with our choice, think Petracca will be a better player than Paddy but if Paddy hits his potential think he can definitely be a top 5 player in the draft which would be pleasing, would've loved a free hit that melbourne had in the form of back to back picks so high in a draft.

Was on the Petracca train big time pre draft, all I hope is that I'm not disappointed with our choice, think Petracca will be a better player than Paddy but if Paddy hits his potential think he can definitely be a top 5 player in the draft which would be pleasing, would've loved a free hit that melbourne had in the form of back to back picks so high in a draft.

At least Heeney wasn't available to them.

I have petracca man love. i admit it.
kid is silk

There's nothing wrong with classifying Adam Schneider as elite....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back