Revisiting the Crows' big trades from the last two years

Winners or losers?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Geoff Parker in a recent interview with Twomey said they saw the SA trio in the 2016 U16 carnival and decided then and there to go hard at last year's draft. I suspect they weren't too upset with Polec & Wingard wanting to be traded out (if not actually making things go that way) to get the draft stock to trade up for Rozee.

So while it looked like we had better draft stock than them to try and trade up, they must have already had plans in place to hit the ground running as soon as trade week started and ambush our guys.

And meanwhile we cost ourselves draft stock by say, not allowing Lynch to leave as a free agent.

johnnypanther

BigFooty Phantom
Mar 20, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
South Adelaide, Kenilworth
At the end of last season, i would have traded both Lynch and Sloane (and Atkins) and draft picks in order to have helped us go for Rankine plus one of Lukosius/Rozee

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Geoff Parker in a recent interview with Twomey said they saw the SA trio in the 2016 U16 carnival and decided then and there to go hard at last year's draft. I suspect they weren't too upset with Polec & Wingard wanting to be traded out (if not actually making things go that way) to get the draft stock to trade up for Rozee.

So while it looked like we had better draft stock than them to try and trade up, they must have already had plans in place to hit the ground running as soon as trade week started and ambush our guys.

Is it because we are really incompetent or really arrogant?

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is it because we are really incompetent or really arrogant?
We had pick #7 and Melb's #15 to Port's #9 at the end of last season so my guess is maybe we initially thought we were ahead of Port in ability to trade up. Then they got to trade out senior players and caught up with us by trading with lots of different clubs to try and find a way to move up.

I got the feeling our guys might have limited themselves to deal with GC only who might have been never willing to trade their picks #2 & #3, and wanted to either trade for of those picks or notthing in between. Oh, well.

OzSparrow

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manly, Glenelg, Liverpool FC
At the end of last season, i would have traded both Lynch and Sloane (and Atkins) and draft picks in order to have helped us go for Rankine plus one of Lukosius/Rozee

Disagree with Sloane. Agree with others.

There comes a time when this club has to reward loyalty to a player who actually wants to be here. The re-signing of Sloaney and the co-captaincy is that moment IMO.

Culture starts with loyalty rewards for the inner sanctum of players who have bled and consistently been elite performers for the club (like Sloaney). It hasn't worked previously for the AFC with the myriad of star players who have walked away for the club (Danger being the last).

I feel that the culture in our inner sanctum of the playing group was intangibly harmed during the 2 year period we chased and paid overs for Gibbs (a lateral hire). Add to that the train-wreck at the end of the 2017 season and beginning of 2018 and it is no accident that the culture in the playing group of the AFC was questioned and damaged.

Rewarding loyalty (where it is well due as in Sloaney's case) is a cornerstone of any culture proposition in any organisation (AFC playing group included). Sloan is to me the Hodge of this club (ie. the heart and soul). The Hawks rewarded Hodgey (and Mitchell) (along with several other key players who were rewarded to stay) and their culture was strong all through their dominant period.

I applauded the re-signing of Sloaney as I thought he should have been appointed captain ahead of Taylor previously (that's another story). I think it was the beginning of the culture rebuild for the club and was a smart move by the club.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

You’d hope we also had someone taking a peek at the U16 champs.

There’s no excuse for not having been adequately prepared for that draft last year

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide

Agree except Sloane mate, but I would've put some other mid level players on the table to try and creep up a few spots.

Last year was the year to go balls to the wall for quality SA kids - we did * all, and let Port come over the top of us... Even though we had more currency than them!!

Flying_as_One1991

Premium Gold
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Las Vegas Golden Knights, NY Mets
Would be interesting as fans to see what trades were offered and rejected by other clubs so we can gauge how hard we actually went to move up the draft board.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agree except Sloane mate, but I would've put some other mid level players on the table to try and creep up a few spots.

Last year was the year to go balls to the wall for quality SA kids - we did fu** all, and let Port come over the top of us... Even though we had more currency than them!!
Given it was a superdraft and we had a fist full of picks it was our poorest draft for sometime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’d hope we also had someone taking a peek at the U16 champs.

There’s no excuse for not having been adequately prepared for that draft last year

We tried to make moves but none worked because we're not aggressive enough and need stuff to fall into our laps.

Gibbs - fell into our laps
Carlton pick swap - fell into our laps
GWS pick swap - fell into our laps
McGovern, Lever, Cameron - forced trades
Lyons - forced
Hampton - fell into our laps
Menzel - fell into our laps
Seedsman - from memory it was us or Gold Coast or some s**t. So fell into our laps
Stengle - peanuts trade
Etc.

The last time we were aggressive we traded Bernie Vince for Matt Crouch

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We tried to make moves but none worked because we're not aggressive enough and need stuff to fall into our laps.

Gibbs - fell into our laps
Carlton pick swap - fell into our laps
GWS pick swap - fell into our laps
McGovern, Lever, Cameron - forced trades
Lyons - forced
Hampton - fell into our laps
Menzel - fell into our laps
Seedsman - from memory it was us or Gold Coast or some s**t. So fell into our laps
Stengle - peanuts trade
Etc.

The last time we were aggressive we traded Bernie Vince for Matt Crouch
What was truly astonishing about last year was we actually had more to start with than Port.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
What was truly astonishing about last year was we actually had more to start with than Port.

It was like watching a car crash in slow motion - you knew Port were going all out to out manoeuvre us, and yet we sat back and let it happen.

Pathetic.

Oh well, Rozee would probably be playing in the SANFL if we drafted him anyway, so probably not that big a loss.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I also recall posters in 2017 or a news article stating '' we are waiting for the Gibbs trade to happen before we can do anything '' as if the Gibbs deal triggered a whole line of trades etc

What we also do , from outside looking in , is have a single strategy and dont/cant/wont budge from it until it happens (or not) which leaves every other possibility flapping in the breeze

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
It was like watching a car crash in slow motion - you knew Port were going all out to out manoeuvre us, and yet we sat back and let it happen.

Pathetic.

Oh well, Rozee would probably be playing in the SANFL if we drafted him anyway, so probably not that big a loss.

This sums it up beautifully. We were all excited before the trade/drafts and then these incompetent, arrogant, unaccountable little men let us down again as they have so often done in the past.

We have had some shocker off seasons but I reckon 2018 was one of the worst

MJ2611

Rookie
Sep 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
You know what has cost us big time, the two wasted picks on Curtly Hampton and Troy Menzel in hindsight. Could have been two younger players coming through the ranks turning 21 - 22 this year.

Both wasted talents and picks.

Last year was the year to go balls to the wall for quality SA kids - we did fu** all, and let Port come over the top of us... Even though we had more currency than them!!

It was like those Survivor challenges where you have to build a tower of blocks. We built a tower of 10 and went "Sweet. That'll do." Then just stood there and watched as Port stacked 11, 12, 13...

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
You know what has cost us big time, the two wasted picks on Curtly Hampton and Troy Menzel in hindsight. Could have been two younger players coming through the ranks turning 21 - 22 this year.

Both wasted talents and picks.
Lol - I got hung, drawn and quartered on here for daring to criticise those trades at the time.

There was not a single thing in either of their backgrounds which indicated they would become anything other than what they did.

They were nothing more than placebos to calm the base after being bent over in the Dangerfield trade

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Wonderful thing hindsight, I can recall on this board in the run up to the draft the focus was more on Rankine, Lukosius and even Hately and not so much Rozee by a lot on here who considered Rozee underwhelming in the Championships and I recall hey shorty and I copping quite a bit of flak when we suggested we'd take Connor Rozee ahead of Izak Rankine. And before I get told "but Izak hasn't had a fair go yet" I'm in full agreement with that but I'm stilling backing Connor to have the more productive career.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wonderful thing hindsight, I can recall on this board in the run up to the draft the focus was more on Rankine, Lukosius and even Hately and not so much Rozee by a lot on here who considered Rozee underwhelming in the Championships and I recall hey shorty and I copping quite a bit of flak when we suggested we'd take Connor Rozee ahead of Izak Rankine. And before I get told "but Izak hasn't had a fair go yet" I'm in full agreement with that but I'm stilling backing Connor to have the more productive career.

Jokes on you mate - we got none of the above :p

Back